Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Question Passengers side axle play: in/out

Do you suppose its a bad thing when the passengers side axle moves in/out far enough for the rotor to contact the caliper mount (with the caliper hooked up mind you)? I do not have any rearend whine, no clunking (other than bad shocks), new fluid/additive about 3k miles ago. There wasn't anything odd looking or out of place when I had the diff cover off, and now I'm noticing that the passengers side axle is moving in and out a good 1/4 to 3/8 inch, and causing the rotor to make contact with the caliper mount (and causing the rotor to get some ugly grind marks in it as well.) Where do I start? The axle does not move up, down or front to back, only in and out. I know my LSD does not work properly, and could definitely use a rebuild/replace. What should be my first step and where do I start looking?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

either the paddle is worn, or the axle end is.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

any idea where to get a blown-up view of the rear end assembly, the parts you talk about, and so on and so forth. I'd like to have a better knowledge before i tear into this, it needs fixed asap, i plan on parking the car until i do so.

also, if i'm going so far to tear the rearend down, i'd like to rebuild the factory LSD, unless its financially smarter to go aftermarket. If its possible, how much would rebuilding the LSD actually cost?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Do you suppose its a bad thing when the passengers side axle moves in/out far enough for the rotor to contact the caliper mount (with the caliper hooked up mind you)? I do not have any rearend whine, no clunking (other than bad shocks), new fluid/additive about 3k miles ago. There wasn't anything odd looking or out of place when I had the diff cover off, and now I'm noticing that the passengers side axle is moving in and out a good 1/4 to 3/8 inch, and causing the rotor to make contact with the caliper mount (and causing the rotor to get some ugly grind marks in it as well.) Where do I start? The axle does not move up, down or front to back, only in and out. I know my LSD does not work properly, and could definitely use a rebuild/replace. What should be my first step and where do I start looking?
    Are you sure that it is the axle moving back and forth and its not the backing plate that is loose?

When you had the diff. cover off, did you move the axle around to see what was going on?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Did you see the C-clip? It very well could have came out.

I think you need to inspect it more before. Take the caliper off, caliper mount and the rotor. See if you can pull the axle out, then inspect it.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the c-clip is on the inside end of the axle. if it wasn't there, the axle would want to come completely out. remove the rotor and then pull on the axle and see if it pulls completely out.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    the c-clip is on the inside end of the axle. if it wasn't there, the axle would want to come completely out. remove the rotor and then pull on the axle and see if it pulls completely out.
    Thats what I said. If he wasn't driving to aggressive, there is a chance it might hold up. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I had the entire caliper, mount etc. and rotor off, and could not pull the axle out of the housing, it just moved in and out the said 1/4" to 3/8". I'm going to try to make some room in the garage and get this thing in there to pull it apart, til then its parked.

one bay of the garage is full of 'stuff' as we're trading trucks today and everything on the service truck had to come off, so that is occupying the 'work' side of the garage, the other bay has 3 harleys parked in the way (which i will move to the basement me-thinks). Regardless, I'm going to try as soon as possible to get it in, get the cover off and inspect.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Also, i did not notice the play before i had the cover off, which i believe to be purely coincidental, not due to changing the fluid. If the c-clip DID come off, wouldn't it have likely gotten into the R&P and wreaked some havoc, regardless of the magnet on the cover?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Also, i did not notice the play before i had the cover off, which i believe to be purely coincidental, not due to changing the fluid. If the c-clip DID come off, wouldn't it have likely gotten into the R&P and wreaked some havoc, regardless of the magnet on the cover?
    Not necessarily.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

picked up more fluid and additive today, i'll get the car in as soon as i can, f'n motorcycles are in the way and the old man isn't co-operating!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

got it up on stands and the cover off. The series of springs in the middle for the LSD are blocking me from being able to get at the clips with anything other than some sort of c-clip tool for the passengers side, and the drivers side clip i cant see due to the ring-gear being in the way.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

got it up on stands and the cover off. The series of springs in the middle for the LSD are blocking me from being able to get at the clips with anything other than some sort of c-clip tool for the passengers side, and the drivers side clip i cant see due to the ring-gear being in the way.
    To get the pin out, look for a real small bolt that holds the pin in. Take it out and pull the pin out. Then you will see the c-clips on either axle.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i'm walking him through it on AIM.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Got the pin out halfway, its worn pretty good where the spidergears ride on it. I'm going to attempt to go get some pictures right now.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Get some good pics. I can give you parts if you wanna try and make it work.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

the fucking camera is the biggest piece of shit in the world, i got ONE picture and im positive its blurry. regardless, im not going to pull this in the whole way out due to the LSD springs/plates putting incredible tension on the pin and i'm afraid once it does come apart, its going to be REALLY apart.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

the fucking camera is the biggest piece of shit in the world, i got ONE picture and im positive its blurry. regardless, im not going to pull this in the whole way out due to the LSD springs/plates putting incredible tension on the pin and i'm afraid once it does come apart, its going to be REALLY apart.
    Relax, it has some pressure on it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Hows that diff. fluid smell? HA

Thread Information