Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Other Options than a 12bolt or 9in

This is a discussion on Other Options than a 12bolt or 9in within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I was just messin' around. Yep building it yourself saves alot. It's not really the parts ...

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I was just messin' around.

Yep building it yourself saves alot. It's not really the parts that cost alot,,,but the labor most places charge for assembly is outta sight.
    I can understand though some of this stuff takes special tools, and know how. There are alot of good books and videos though on rearend assembly for the first timers. With help from a friend and about $200-300 in tools (depending on what you get) any first timer with mechanical ability can do it.
    Yeah no doubt it was my first 9 inch I built I am a bus techncian so i work on crap all nite. I just got specs off the web and it went pretty easy

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

ZMG is right though. I've found it much easier nowadays just to pickup a bare housing and the axles from one of the suppliers (I prefer Strange).

And then build it the way you want from there as money or parts allow. I've done it this way for a few people, it saves time and hassle. As a matter of fact I've had a 12bolt housing for quite some time for one of my own cars I need to build sometime.

Doing it this way still saves some coin. A drop in housing ready to go will set you back $3,000.
    But you need to have the tools and skill to set it up correctly,,,or know a buddy that works for cheap

So if I ever blow my rear end and decided to take a road trip and trailer my car...how much $$ would you like? lol

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    So if I ever blow my rear end and decided to take a road trip and trailer my car...how much $$ would you like? lol
    I've never sold my services here, work just always seemed to find me. But for reference I was setting up rearends for people with new parts, for a flat $200 fee. That was starting with a bare housing, and making my own brake line clips to weld on,,,painted etc....Takes me 2-3 days. Nobody cheaper than me in the country that I know of ,,,,,that gets paid for it anyway Bring some beer and we'll throw it up on the lift and swap it while you're here.

pewter
    2002 firehawk

would it be safe to use the 10 bolt as a reference for the locations of all the brackets

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I've never sold my services here, work just always seemed to find me. But for reference I was setting up rearends for people with new parts, for a flat $200 fee. That was starting with a bare housing, and making my own brake line clips to weld on,,,painted etc....Takes me 2-3 days. Nobody cheaper than me in the country that I know of ,,,,,that gets paid for it anyway Bring some beer and we'll throw it up on the lift and swap it while you're here.
    Wow I definitely want to be friends with you

Quote Originally Posted by axxdet View Post
    would it be safe to use the 10 bolt as a reference for the locations of all the brackets
    Yep thats what I have done in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    Wow I definitely want to be friends with you
    Haha,,,I work cheap, but I always had work coming around and it kept me busy.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I wouldn't go with anything but a 9" for these cars.

The Dana and the 12 bolts mount up to the torque arm on the housing...unlike the 9".
    If it breaks, the whole rear is pretty much toast. Break the bracket on the 9"...and you can replace it.
    Torque arm mount is the last thing I'd ever worry about breaking on my Strange 12. It looks very stout.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Torque arm mount is the last thing I'd ever worry about breaking on my Strange 12. It looks very stout.
    Ya it's a stout piece for sure. The whole third member was redesigned along with that. With stronger webbing for the main caps and thicker casting throughout.
    For a 12 bolt they are much beefier than the originals ever were.

What I find nice is that you can get a 12 bolt housing for anything,,,no more hunting the swap meets for that hard to find 1 or 2 year only housing that costs big bucks now if you can find one.
    Now any 12 bolt housing you want is a phone call away.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Ya it's a stout piece for sure. The whole third member was redesigned along with that. With stronger webbing for the main caps and thicker casting throughout.
    For a 12 bolt they are much beefier than the originals ever were.

What I find nice is that you can get a 12 bolt housing for anything,,,no more hunting the swap meets for that hard to find 1 or 2 year only housing that costs big bucks now if you can find one.
    Now any 12 bolt housing you want is a phone call away.
    jesus firebird..are you like 80 years old j/k

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    jesus firebird..are you like 80 years old j/k
    Did I sound that old?? I guess probably to some people on here but I still consider myself a young pup with plenty of spunk left in me

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

just using a lot of i remember when and back in the day

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'll remember this lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information