Omg what is it!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Omg what is it!!!!!!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so...heres what i have...the rear end in my 2002 trans am makes a loud popping sound SOMETIMES when i do ...

silver TA...red GTO
    2002 trans-am...2004 GTO

Omg what is it!!!!!!!!

so...heres what i have...the rear end in my 2002 trans am makes a loud popping sound SOMETIMES when i do a hard acceleration *important* (going in a straight line) at all times when you start to turn the wheel and make a turn it starts popping hard enough to shake the car (havent drove it over 10 mph in a turn since it started happening) making a right handed turn it isnt as bad as making a left handed turn...in a left handed turn the driver side rear tire seems to almost lock up...it will catch, skid, roll, catch, skid roll...it does that in both right and left handed turns but more so on a left handed turn...in a straight line as long as im not gouging on it or turning i can do 60, 70, 80 mph with no problems or sounds...could this be caused by the spider gears in the (i think its called) the torsion differential?

i took the cover off of the differential and everything looks fine the only thing i noticed is with both tires off the ground and car in park both tires will free turn (opposite directions) then catch after about a full turn but you can shake them back and fourth and then start turning them again....

also in shifting from reverse to drive when the rearend engages there is a clunk sound...

any help or ideas is greatly appreciated

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Sounds like your Posi is fucked up.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Seems lime is time for a new rear end.
    When I bought my car the rear end was messed up.
    When I tried to drive it I heard noises and vibrations. The pinion was broken and the teeth of the ring were broken too.
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black
    1998 Z28

"i took the cover off of the differential and everything looks fine the only thing i noticed is with both tires off the ground and car in park both tires will free turn (opposite directions) then catch after about a full turn but you can shake them back and fourth and then start turning them again"

that's the way a Torsen(99-02) 'posi' works,but it sounds like yours is on its' way out.

silver TA...red GTO
    2002 trans-am...2004 GTO

so....i got bored earlier and went ahead and pulled the axles out and dropped the differential it is the spider gears inside i can see some teeth worn and chipped...my next question is can this torsion diff. be rebuilt and if so where can i get the parts...or do i have to replace the complete diff...

kinda looking for the cheaper way out for now cause its not an everyday driver...and just sunk my free money into an 04 GTO that i use to play with on the weekends...i haven't driven the TA since November so I'm kinda starting to miss playing in it every now and then everything is stock on it and I've had it for about 7 yrs so I'm just wanting to fix it back as original until i decide to upgrade the engine later

Black
    1998 Z28

you'll have to check with Torsen if parts to rebuild are available

http://www.torsen.com/

or pick up a take-out/used one from forums for sale threads.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I'd get an upgraded Posi better then a torsion. But a better rear end is even the better option if you have the dough.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Speaking from experience here...

When I split my posi it made a popping noise under load and a roaring noise when cruising. Then, when I gunned it the posi gave just enough to allow the ring to float away from the pinion and then snap teeth off both gears. It was ugly.

You have two options: rebuild or replace. You could upgrade the posi and use better gears and maybe build the stock rear to handle a little more, but be honest with yourself- how much are you willing to put into a weak factory rear that will most likely break again?
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information