Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Supershafts

old 9 inch?

This is a discussion on old 9 inch? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok so I know I'm not the only one that refuses to believe I have to spend 3 grand to ...

red/black
    2000 ss camaro

old 9 inch?

ok so I know I'm not the only one that refuses to believe I have to spend 3 grand to have a rear end that won't die. so caI get an ford 9inch out of an old car or truck and get it to work? theres like 6 within 100 miles of me for under 250 bucks. any info on this would be appreciated. I can't really find anything out from searching

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

how good are your fabbing skills?

do you have the tools (welder, cutting, etc)?

Read this thread, what you ant to do is very close to what I'm doing.

If interested I'll pm you some more details.

My 8.8 Rear Build

I'm a little bit further along now since I last post, currently at a pause because of other work requirements.

FirebirdJones is a guy you can pm and ask too. He's helped me out on a couple of things with my project.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    how good are your fabbing skills?

do you have the tools (welder, cutting, etc)?

Read this thread, what you ant to do is very close to what I'm doing.

If interested I'll pm you some more details.

My 8.8 Rear Build

I'm a little bit further along now since I last post, currently at a pause because of other work requirements.

FirebirdJones is a guy you can pm and ask too. He's helped me out on a couple of things with my project.
    What he said. Get your torch and welder ready for some fun. Make sure you buy quality parts and measure twice.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thanks Scott,

9 inchers out of trucks is how we used to do it before the aftermarket stepped up with drop in units.

Still going to cost some coin. Truck unit's were large bearing 31 spline so that's a good start.

You'll need access to a shop or jig to narrow the rear to length. This is a perfect time to weld on new housing ends with a GM backing plate bolt pattern so you can adapt your factory brakes. So you'll need some new housing ends.
    If on a budget you can cut and respline the stock axles (31 is plenty strong) and have the ends redrilled for GM bolt pattern. If you have extra money to blow, buy an aftermarket set ready to go.

From there you'll have to give Currie a call. They sell the necessary torque arm bracket for a 9" and they also sell brand new 4th gen control arm and panhard bar brackets with the larger radius to weld to the 9 inch axle tubes. Again if on a budget you can cut off your existing control arm and panhard brackets from the 10 bolt,,,,but,,,,the axle tube radius will be too small for the 9" axle tubes, so some carefull grinding will need to be done. An angle finder, tape measure, and a welder will get the brackets in the right position, pretty self explainatory.

Then all you need to do is setup a 3rd member. Cheapest route is to use the 3rd member the 9" came with, even though they aren't the strongest piece. Alot of them I've taken apart have broken pinion bearing supports and renders the case useless. If this happens then I turn to Strange for one of their aftermarket high nickle iron cases (about 30% stronger) and they run about $350.
    Either way, a clutch style posi unit is the cheapest route and will suffice for most street strip cars. That's about $400. Then a ring/pinion of your choice and a setup kit with new bearings/shims, that's another $3-$400.

If you can't setup the gears then it will run $200-$300 to pay someone to do so. If you are swap meet savy, you can find 3rd members setup fresh and ready to go with posi's and any gear you want. Most 31 spline units will go for $600 and up. If it's an "N" case (only one worth having) it brings big $$$ among collectors with certain date codes. Damned if you do, damned if you don't 15 years ago none of this was a problem. Now it drives prices up. That's what makes the Strange case so enticing.

As you can see, to even piece one together like this is going to get over $2,000 rather quickly (depending on what you can and can't do) which is why people just don't do it much anymore. In the end you might come in about $200-$500 under a ready to go drop in unit.
    20 years ago it wasn't all that expensive, but parts prices (new and used) keep going up....
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-17-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You can get a 9" cheaper than $3k as well. Even through Moser, you can get one for less, depending on your options of course.

red/black
    2000 ss camaro

well piss, I got a guy who I could beg the welding out of and he'd set up gears for like100 bucks.I still think its just ridiculous they cost so much...and that people pay it. now then theres a built nine in for a 68 camaro for like 800 bucks near me...how much work would that need to fit.my 4th ten bolt is howling already with like 5k on it. I'm going through them like candy pretty much. my cars t56 so I know that doesn't help at all

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Just did a complete D-60 with the big wilwood 12" brakes 2900, better than the 9"... Call Strange

By the time you get done buying the tools you could have bought 2 D-60's

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In this case, it really is cheaper and easier to buy what you need versus the time, labor and expense of making it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by steve00ss View Post
    theres a built nine in for a 68 camaro for like 800 bucks near me...how much work would that need to fit.
    No go....

The fact that they are leaf spring rearends aren't that big of a deal, you would still have to knock the brackets off and weld 4th gen brackets on...

The biggest issue is the width. The 67-69 rearends are the narrowest out of all the generation camaros. I have 3 of them sitting out here, and I believe they are right at 60". A 4th gen rear will measure about 64" or so.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

The 64" is with axles while without them the housing and axle tubes are 61 31/32".

That puts the 67-69 about 5-7" shorter then the 4th gens

FBJ - would knocking off the axles and getting new tubes work for him since he's got to put new shock plates, PHB & LCA brackets? Throw in 9" axle housings for a gm bolt pattern too.

Edit I see he'll still need new axles also.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 07-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.

red/black
    2000 ss camaro

Well poopy. guess it's time to start filling up the piggy bank.

red/black
    2000 ss camaro

whats a 14 bolt gm rear?and whats full floater mean?

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

forget the 14 blt. full floater means the axles only turn the wheels and have no role in supporting the vehicle at all

Who mentioned a 14 bolt full floater? Those are 3/4 and 1 ton truck rearends. My 79 1 ton has a 14 bolt full floater.

They are tough as nails with their 10 1/2" ring gear, double bearing pinion support like a 9", full floating axles meaning they bolt to the outside hub, and the brake drum assembly actually has the supporting bearings in it, but they don't touch the axles at all. Brakes are enormous on mine (1 ton brakes) The shoes alone cost $130 and not everyone in town can turn the drums, I have to find a large diesel shop. Later models went to rear disc.

Really a bullet proof rear that is very popular among the rock crawling off road crowd,,,,but it's not something I would consider dropping in a passenger car.

They are also rather pricey when you find a good used one. I've seen them for $600 and more around here. But like I said, favored with the off road crowd and Arizona is full of off road groups and mountains etc...
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.

red/black
    2000 ss camaro

ah, was just wondering.theres one close for 200.figured I'd ask

Thread Information