White
    2000 SS vert

Not your typical gear question.

Hey everybody...thanks for your help in advance. I have a 2000 SS M6, 130,000miles. Its time to change the bearings, both the axle bearings and pinion bearings need to go...the whine is real bad. Fortunately, a buddy of mine has been building his own and rebuilding rears for 20 years now, and he's gonna take care of it for me. He tells me since he's replacing all the bearings, its best to get new r&p while he's in there, so that all the parts "set" together. This is fine w/ me b/c he is gving me the gears for really really cheap (they are new and are high quality).

I have searched on this forum all the comments on what gears to get. I am not a track guy, just a daily driver that does like to get on it here and there. So I will stick w/ the 10 bolt. I'd like to get lower gears for some oomph since I'm in there anyway. I see that most M6 guys on here recommend 4.10, but I don't know if that is b/c these are mostly dragstip guys and that is what is best for the track? I haven't seen any posts buy DD guys who just want some more power for occasional showing off on the street.

Is going from 3.42 to 3.73 even worth it? What about 3.90?
    Will the lower the gear increase my chance at breakage? What do you think? It is mostly stock w/ SLP exhaust and cold air kit, and will likely stay that way.

Thanks everybody.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I have 4.11s in mine and it is defiantly my daily driver. Honestly, they work out just fine for me. In town I just use a higher gear and skip gears a little more than I did with the stock gearing. On the highway I just tend to run at 75 mph instead of 80 since the car sounds happier running at 2100 RPM. Personally, I love having the acceleration of 4.11s, just be careful on wet days

Black
    1998 Z28

do the 4.10s'. You'll also need a computer adjustment to correct your speedo,but that'll also be needed whatever gear ratio change you make.

White
    2000 SS vert

thanks...will lower gears increase my chances of breaking? thats my biggest concern

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by harleySS View Post
    thanks...will lower gears increase my chances of breaking? thats my biggest concern
    Yes and no, if you never run a sticky tire than you should be safe. If you put a sticky tire on than you will most likely break something if you abuse it. In general, I have found that they don't break as easily (best brand was GM). They will also help keep your clutch and tranny from breaking as easily.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If you dont drop the clutch from 5 grand you shoulnt break anything.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I run 3.73's in a A4 so a 4.10 will be fine. I was going at least 4.10's when I do the 6spd swap. I beat on my car and the rears break because there junk. If you don't beat it too bad or run DR's or slicks you should be ok. I plan on a 9" next time it breaks.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

black trans am

ok i have had 3.42 stock, a set of 3.73 and im runing 3.89 gears in my nine inch now note i use my ta as my dd.... 3.73 are not bad on gas and u will fell a diffrence in the car... now i have 3.89s and on street tires it to hard to keep the tires from spining but im a bolt one car... allk in all i got 28-30 on the high way if u drive nice and easy i hope that helps

Thread Information