Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New PST driveshaft way to close to exhaust!

This is a discussion on New PST driveshaft way to close to exhaust! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Hmmm, I did my math also. Well, I had some help I got different but Im ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Hmmm, I did my math also. Well, I had some help I got different but Im sure I did it wrong

I do want this to work, just trying to get some info on how to. I might go drop the cra right now, im very curious how much, if anything that gains me.
    Ya I did math too and got something different as well...this result I posted was with someone elses help I'm still not sure I buy it.

Ya dropping the car with full weight will actually move the driveshaft away just a bit via the panhard bar. It might be okay driving so long as you don't unload the rear of the car over some railroad tracks or something

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya I did math too and got something different as well...this result I posted was with someone elses help I'm still not sure I buy it.

Ya dropping the car with full weight will actually move the driveshaft away just a bit via the panhard bar. It might be okay driving so long as you don't unload the rear of the car over some railroad tracks or something
    Well, the clear headed, non pissed off thought by you guys of loading the suspension has made me see some hope.

Either way, this exhaust flows great contrary to what some people think who have not been introduced to 4" pipe exhaust. And a Mufflex is a proven performer, Probably the worst flowing part of this exhaust is the Spin Tech muffler on it. But the system sounds great. Hopefully I gain at least .5 inch.. maybe more with a loaded suspension

Well, the clear headed, non pissed off thought by you guys of loading the suspension has made me see some hope.

Either way, this exhaust flows great contrary to what some people think who have not been introduced to 4" pipe exhaust. And a Mufflex is a proven performer, Probably the worst flowing part of this exhaust is the Spin Tech muffler on it. But the system sounds great. Hopefully I gain at least .5 inch.. maybe more with a loaded suspension
    Oh I have tried the Mufflex system and compared it to other 3 inch catbacks. The car picked up 3 mph in the traps with that system alone over everything else tried. I'm a believer of the 4 inch mufflex. Quite frankly I am shocked at the amount of people that aren't aware of it.

Everyone wants a true dual setup dumped that hangs down and looks awfull. The mufflex tucks up nicely and with the hidden tailpipe you can't even tell there is a system on the car. Ground clearance isn't an issue. And the sound from 4 inch piping and a 4 inch muffler is something all kids should be required to hear.

Oh by the way,,,,did you get that thing on the ground and go for a spin yet??

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Oh by the way,,,,did you get that thing on the ground and go for a spin yet??
    Yep, well I just put it down on a bunch of 2x4 so its level. And...... I gained a boat load of clearance! You guys were right

I took some pictures, ill load them right quick. The exhaust is staying

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

This is enough clearance for me. As long as I dont jump the car and get air born or do reverse wheelies, I think this will be fine. Just took it for a 10 minute drive and im gonna let it cool. The then repeat and hopefully I dont have a screamer.

That looks to be plenty of clearance now. You are ready to rock and roll.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Just got back from a 15 mile cruise. Gonna let it fully cool. Then maybe go wash The Bitch. Tomorrow at 2PM im getting a full dino tune from (Non sponsor). Ive kinda washed my hands with the self tuning for now. I just want it tuned and ready to rock for this summer. Too bad there arn't more self tuners close to me, I would love to learn first hand. Maybe the tuner tomorrow will let me peak at what hes doing. Life is good.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 06-10-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Forgot about non sponsor

Just got back from a 15 mile cruise. Gonna let it fully cool. Then maybe go wash The Bitch. Tomorrow at 2PM im getting a full dino tune. Ive kinda washed my hands with the self tuning for now. I just want it tuned and ready to rock for this summer. Too bad there arn't more self tuners close to me, I would love to learn first hand. Maybe the tuner tomorrow will let me peak at what hes doing. Life is good.
    Well there are advantages to that,,,and I've thought of doing it myself.

Just as long as the tuner doesn't lock your computer after tuning,,,and he uses the same HPtuner software that we are using,,,,,you can simply download the tune to your laptop after he is done.

That way,,,you can sit down with it,,,compare it to the tune you were using and see what he changed. From there you can tinker with his tune or yours.
    I've often thought it would be worth a few hundred bucks to do that. Probably learn a few things to boot.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-13-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well there are advantages to that,,,and I've thought of doing it myself.

Just as long as the tuner doesn't lock your computer after tuning,,,and he uses the same HPtuner software that we are using,,,,,you can simply download the tune to your laptop after he is done.

That way,,,you can sit down with it,,,compare it to the tune you were using and see what he changed. From there you can tinker with his tune or yours.
    I've often thought it would be worth a few hundred bucks to do that. Probably learn a few things to boot.
    Thats exactly what my plans are. I am going to specificlly tell him not to lock it. They dont have the right to lock your computer if you ask them not to do they? Im really wanting to use the comparison feature on every table and see what he changes. Im really excited, my car might just be my car again and not the garages car
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 06-10-2009 at 02:11 PM.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I figured it would be that way, it always looks like that off the ground even with stock exhuast but once you put it on the ground, no worries.

Thats exactly what my plans are. I am going to specificlly tell him not to lock it. They dont have the right to lock your computer if you ask them not to do they? Im really wanting to use the comparison feature on every table and see what he changes. Im really excited, my car might just be my car again and not the garages car
    Well there are some tuners out there that think there tuning is the magic potion of all tuners and they lock computers to stop access to it.

The reality is,,there really isn't a magic tune for any one car,,,just a correct tune for the given circumstances. All combustion engines respond in the same manor. If you know the basics of what an engine likes, and can apply it correctly,,,the engine will respond.
    That is the simplist of terms but it gets the point accross. There are alot of tuning variables that change when the dynamics of the engine are changed (ie: camshaft, compression, intake, carb, headers, cylinder heads and much more)

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

But if I specifically tell him to not lock my computer, does he have the right to do so?

But if I specifically tell him to not lock my computer, does he have the right to do so?
    I don't know. When I was looking at tuning a couple of LT1's we had,,,I just came out and asked the local tuner at the time if he locked the computer. He said no. Then it becomes a matter of trust

I would just be up front about it before any work is done and see how he/she responds. My honest opinion is that most shops probably won't lock a computer.

If you still are skeptical. You can bring your laptop along and when he/she is finished you can plug in and check for yourself before you leave. If it's locked you should know right away.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-10-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A couple of months ago I asked Frost whether his tunes were locked. His answer, and he can correct me if I am mistaken, is that he never locks a tune. Essentially, locking the tune is simply the tuner's method of garnering repeat business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information