White
    1998 Camaro

New Moser 9" strange noises....

Alright, I broke my stock rear axle so what did I do? I went out and bought the supposed high quality Moser 9" axle. Well this is going to be hard to describe, but everytime I go over a small bump or a rough paved road I get a strange noise that is caused by the rear axle. At first I thought it was the rear sway bar hitting against the axle housing so I purchased a spacer kit to get the rear sway bar to clear. The spacer kit worked as promised by Hawks. But the noise still remains. Any ideas??? Also the third member whines like a little girl really bad when I get to 75 mph in sixth gear, any ideas on what that problem is??? Is it the clutch pack?

-Thanks for any help!!!!
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

if it whines then your ring and pinion might no thave been installed correctly, did you contact moser about this they need to make it right.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

For the noise, Check out your torque arm, Sometimes there is some clearance issues where the thing bolts up to the mount on the rear. I had to take a air hammer and do a "little adjustment" to the underside of the car, You will not notice it from the inside of your car.

As for the whinning of your rear, did you break in the gears correctly? Do 3 different cool down cycles (never going above 55 mph), vary your speed for the first 500 miles? High performance gears, no matter what brand you get need to be broken in properly and will have some whinning or noise to them. It's just the nature of the beast. If you want to play your going to have to pay.

I would say if you can hear it above your radio and it is really to loud to tolerate than your gears where not set up properly but if you can hear some rearend whine than it is completely normal. Also after you drive 500 miles you can change the gear oil out with more of a heavier oil. That will help quiet it down.

Myself, I had a race shop custom build my 3rd member (Strange pro nodular, with detroit locker, motive performance 4.30's, Billit yoke and solid pinion spacer) It has some noise to it but I really can't hear it above my exhaust system or my Radio.

I have had several Muscle cars over the years with 12 bolts and 9". All of them with aftermarket gears had some sort of noise to them.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 02-09-2009 at 07:44 AM.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

White
    1998 Camaro

I think it is the torque arm. Thanks for you help!! How did you modify your torque arm or that adapter piece that moser gives you? I purchased the third member from MAE Racing they were highly recommended by my friend.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    I think it is the torque arm. Thanks for you help!! How did you modify your torque arm or that adapter piece that moser gives you? I purchased the third member from MAE Racing they were highly recommended by my friend.
    I didn't have to, All I did was push up the sheetmetal of the car around the mounting point so it wouldn't hit anymore. A little piece of info they neglegted to metion in the install instructions.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

A little gear whine won't hurt nothin. My 12 bolt has been screaming at me for years. I still launch it at 6,500rpms on slicks with no problem. Send it back if it bothers you that much tho.

navy blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    Alright, I broke my stock rear axle so what did I do? I went out and bought the supposed high quality Moser 9" axle. Well this is going to be hard to describe, but everytime I go over a small bump or a rough paved road I get a strange noise that is caused by the rear axle. At first I thought it was the rear sway bar hitting against the axle housing so I purchased a spacer kit to get the rear sway bar to clear. The spacer kit worked as promised by Hawks. But the noise still remains. Any ideas??? Also the third member whines like a little girl really bad when I get to 75 mph in sixth gear, any ideas on what that problem is??? Is it the clutch pack?

-Thanks for any help!!!!
    Hi Octavain,

Your post was quite a while ago so I wonder if you managed to fix it ? I just recently bought a Moser 9" for my Z28 with true track and 3.23 gears. Big mistake for a daily driver. Sounds like I truck and I checked the torque arm etc. no change

Thread Information