Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

need help picking gears!!!!

This is a discussion on need help picking gears!!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; hey guys havent been on here for a while but need your help. im ordering the yank 3200 stall today ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Exclamation need help picking gears!!!!

    hey guys havent been on here for a while but need your help. im ordering the yank 3200 stall today and i wanted to know what gears i should get??? i want to order them today.
    Click for full size

  2. #2
    Story of My Life!! BIG D's SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Commerce Ga
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,995

    Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

    I would go with 3.73's with an auto. That seems to be the most popular gear ratio.

  3. #3
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    If you have an A4 I would also recommend 3.73's, when I did my calculations, the problem I found with 4.10 (coupled to an A4), is at highway speeds (70MPH +) when agressively hitting the throttle, if the PCM drops the transmission into 2nd gear (vice 3rd), you will be way over red lining the vehicle.

    3.73's will spool up the rpm's nicely also, it will be almost like not dropping any RPM on WOT.


    SteveC

  4. #4
    Member Allen Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    High Point , NC
    Posts
    199

    Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

    3000 Yank and 3:73 in my 99 Z-28

  5. #5
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Wood View Post
    3000 Yank and 3:73 in my 99 Z-28
    yeah im going to go with the 3000 instead of the 3200 with the richman 373 gears. was that a night and day deferance for you? yes im an a4 with a stage 3 shift kit and better internals.

  6. #6
    Member SSpdDmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Farmington, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    332

    SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

    If you have 3.23's already, I'd consider 3.73's or 3.90's (I think Motive offers those now).

    Those who have 2.73's might consider 3.90's, 3.73's, or 3.42's because the move to either one is significant enough to justify the investment.

    In the end though, it's more about what you want to do with the car and what kind of tire you will be running. If it's a street car/highway racer, I'd say 3.73s or 3.42s. If it's more of a track car, I'd say 3.90s or 3.73s (or maybe even 4.10s). Just know, 4.10s in an auto can't be tuned for completely. The PCM's limitations won't accept the numbers and as a result, your odometer and speedometer will be off slightly.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    If you have 3.23's already, I'd consider 3.73's or 3.90's (I think Motive offers those now).

    Those who have 2.73's might consider 3.90's, 3.73's, or 3.42's because the move to either one is significant enough to justify the investment.

    In the end though, it's more about what you want to do with the car and what kind of tire you will be running. If it's a street car/highway racer, I'd say 3.73s or 3.42s. If it's more of a track car, I'd say 3.90s or 3.73s (or maybe even 4.10s). Just know, 4.10s in an auto can't be tuned for completely. The PCM's limitations won't accept the numbers and as a result, your odometer and speedometer will be off slightly.
    cool yeah i have 315 g-force on there but i can still spin those for a while if im not on concrete. it will only get worse but the traction is good. for now. any brand you would recomend????

  8. #8
    Member SSpdDmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Farmington, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    332

    SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

    Hmmm - recommendations....AAM...I think it stands for American Axle Manufacturers. They are an OEM supplier for GM. There's a guy here in the D who I can hook you up with if you want some more detail. Shoot me a PM if you want his number.

  9. #9
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    yeah im going to go with the 3000 instead of the 3200 with the richman 373 gears. was that a night and day deferance for you? yes im an a4 with a stage 3 shift kit and better internals.
    I have a Y3000 with 3.73's too, and if I had to do it all over, I would go with a 3600 stall.

    You ALWAYS want more stall after the fact, make it a one time shot, do it right and get a 3600 with 3.73's, you won't be sorry.

    If you are putting out as much horsepower as your handle says, you may want to replace the stock flex plate with a TCI SF29 unit, both Jeg's and Summit sells them.

    SteveC
    Last edited by SteveC; 05-04-2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add information

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    177

    Red
    2002 T/A

    Had 3.23's not enough went to 3.73's perfect just a littles less on the highway MPG, but then again it's F-Body whaddya expect

  11. #11
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    I would go with 3.91s. And if you are looking for the BEST hooking drag radial out there it is the M&H by far. But they also are the softest so they wear quicker. If you go with a pair of Mickey Thompsons they will hook much better than the BFG's.
    The your stock flex plate should be just fine if your all motor. We have MANY out there running low 12's high 11's with stock flex plates with NO issues.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I would go with 3.91s. And if you are looking for the BEST hooking drag radial out there it is the M&H by far. But they also are the softest so they wear quicker. If you go with a pair of Mickey Thompsons they will hook much better than the BFG's.
    The your stock flex plate should be just fine if your all motor. We have MANY out there running low 12's high 11's with stock flex plates with NO issues.
    how much do the flex plates cost? i plan on running in the 11's hopefully lower 11's i have a few tricks up my sleve. i have worked on my car alot since the 440.

  13. #13
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    how much do the flex plates cost? i plan on running in the 11's hopefully lower 11's i have a few tricks up my sleve. i have worked on my car alot since the 440.
    They are $200-260 depending on whos you buy. I've used TCI's and one from Coan that was a very nice.
    Pioneer is suposed to come out with one or actually it might be out now if so it will be around $80-100 and yes it will be SFI certified.

  14. #14
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    how much do the flex plates cost? i plan on running in the 11's hopefully lower 11's i have a few tricks up my sleve. i have worked on my car alot since the 440.
    I paid $199 for mine. Keep in mind you will need slightly longer bolts to mount the converter due to the thickness of the plate. The TCI units NOW come with the bolts. It is cheap insurance, especially with the HP you will be producing. You need to remove 3 of the six bolts anyway to remove the TC.

    SteveC

  15. #15
    Member Allen Wood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    High Point , NC
    Posts
    199

    Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    yeah im going to go with the 3000 instead of the 3200 with the richman 373 gears. was that a night and day deferance for you? yes im an a4 with a stage 3 shift kit and better internals.
    There was a good bit difference going from 3:23 to3:73. Small drop in fuel milage.The car will still get 22 - 23 on the road.

  16. #16
    Member Hawk241's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UPSTATE NEW YORK
    Posts
    158

    Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

    Hey you guys running 3.73's, What are you running at 60mph on the tach?

  17. #17
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Wood View Post
    There was a good bit difference going from 3:23 to3:73. Small drop in fuel milage.The car will still get 22 - 23 on the road.
    Not necessarily true, maybe with the stock converter. You have to take into account the inefficiency of the performance converter.

    My Y3000 2.0 STR has a high effeciency rating of 98%, and I am getting 19 mpg. on the highway. Performance converters generally unlock when the brake is applied, and whenever you are out of lockup (i.e. below 43mph, stock tune) you WILL be burning more gasoline due to the slippage. The higher the stall, the more slippage, however the pros out weigh the cons.

    SteveC

  18. #18
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Wood View Post
    There was a good bit difference going from 3:23 to3:73. Small drop in fuel milage.The car will still get 22 - 23 on the road.
    i would shit mt pants if i got 22-23 on the road. i get more toward the 10-15 but i hardly get on the freeway anymore. when i went with the 30lb injectors i lost all hope of good gas mileage.

  19. #19
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk241 View Post
    Hey you guys running 3.73's, What are you running at 60mph on the tach?
    Here is a sight that you can do the calculations:

    http://www.f-body.org/gears/

    SteveC

  20. #20
    Member SSpdDmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Farmington, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    332

    SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    i would shit mt pants if i got 22-23 on the road. i get more toward the 10-15 but i hardly get on the freeway anymore. when i went with the 30lb injectors i lost all hope of good gas mileage.
    I run 30lb SVO injectors and I got 23~24 out of my M6 on my 1300-mile round trip to Delaware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help picking rear gears
    By 98TransAmWs-6 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM
  2. Help: about to change my plastic gears for brass gears
    By edrvsqz1980 in forum General Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:09 PM
  3. Need help picking a cam.
    By bballking_2007 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 09:22 AM
  4. Need help picking out picking out brake rotors
    By Thewilldog in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 06:52 PM
  5. 3:73 gears, 3:42 gears, clutch, flywheel, plug wires
    By ls1hater in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •