pewter
    01 trans am ws6

Need Help Clutch Going Out!!!!

okay lately i been noticing my clutch having problems. First it started out with the clutch making Noise rattling/wining and hard to get it in gear also in reverse. Well today while driving back home on the highway the car started having a wining noise that got pretty loud. and i noticed wouldnt stay engage that well i moved the shifter around and it popped outta 6th same thing with 4th and 5th. By the way the clutch has 60,000miles on it and its stock.. i talked to a guy at a local shop and he said sounds like its the clutch and maybe the forks on the tranny. the wining noise seems to be in the back i cant really make it out. i just checked my gears in the back a few days ago i changed my fluid and cleaned em up everything looked good gears didnt have much wear on them at all. Please give me some advise and what this might be... its my DD so i have to have it fixed soon to get back n forth to work. Should i repair the clutch stick a ls7 clutch in and possibly change the forks out on the tranny? if so what kind of forks and where do i buy em at?.. If you guys think its something differenet tell me So when i have the car taken apart i dont miss anything that is causing this problem. i need your guys help ASAP. need to get it back in running so i can get to work.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

anyone?

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

The whining is your rear end. Wouldnt really worry about that for now. In every gear you CAN push the stick out without disengaging the clutch, it just has to be in the right rpm range, 4th 5th and 6th can be pushed out pretty easily if your cruising. I wouldnt worry about the forks either. Replace the clutch with an ls7 if you dont beat the hell out of your car haha otherwise an aftermarket one might be a better choice. If you want to get into replacing stuff in your t56 check out sixspeedinc.com

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

the wining noise just started when the clutch started acting up today. and its pretty loud and gets louder longer i drive it only when i shift into 4th and above it starts making noise 5th it gets louder 6th its pretty louds.. it doesnt take much effort to take it out of gear it seems really loose compard to when i bought the car. i can take it out of gear when im accelerating even. i figured it had to be something with the tranny. the forks or synchro's messed up also.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Well it does become easier to pull it out as your synchros get more worn but even then you can still pull it out of gear while accelerating, i used to shift like that in my stang cus it was under full warranty so i didnt care haha. I dont have an answer for the whining though. i would call up sixspeedsinc and talk to them. that site is actually sixspeedsinc.com i forgot the s. They have some pretty reasonable prices for rebuilds and im sure you could get a kit sent to you if you want to do yourself.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

what will i need to replace just the synchros? How much does that cost to replace? Yeah the wining noise is coming from the rear i kno i need to change my ujoint could that be it? im still changing out my stock clutch tho.. last time i went to the drags it started smellin some then went away i dont think it has much life left in it. the ls7's are suppose to hold 500hp+ So im hoping it will hold nitrous and a cam. still wondering what kind of clutch to get. i hear so many good and bad reviews with everything.. so im not sure.. I really need to know what is causing the rear end noise..

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I really couldnt tell you how much it would cost to replace the synchros, but id take that as a chance to beef up the whole trans if you have the money. Call a few transmission shops and ask. Ive heard some great stuff about the ls7 clutch and also the spec 3+. The spec is a 6 puck though so it wont be AS street friendly, but definitely do able.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

well ive checked everything out. I think i got a little to over worked up about the tranny.. Tranny Seems to be ok.. If anything maybe the forks need to be looked at but i think their fine. Clutch is wearing down tho i can tell its about to say goodbye lol. Its the rearend that makes the whine that im trying to fix/find out what the hell it is. but i did some research on it and it seems like this is normal for these cars to have a whine to the rear end. i found a thread from eagle talking about his and it sounds exaclty like mine. I saw that you said you also had this problem at one time in his thread.. Did you ever fix it? someone said something about replacing the pinion bearing. But yeah when i pull the tranny ill check it out if anything looks bad ill beef it up. when i install the new clutch im going to to do the drill mod too. ive only heard good things about that.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Realized whining is pretty normal so no, not yet. But come monday it will be freshly rebuilt so im hoping it will stop but im not replacing the gears, so if they are worn a little it still will but at aleast ill know why. ill let you how it sounds after.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

ryan how did the rebuild go? Do you still have the annoying whine? I hope not so i can know whats the problem.. the whine is driving me crazy.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

I get it back tomorrow. I reused my gears so im not expecting the whine to be completely gone but im pretty positive there will be a lot less of it haha.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

so how did the rebuild go? mine is whines almost in every gear besides 1st. its loud too.. something has to be wrong with it.. this cant be normal for it to whine in almost ever gear.. i can still hear it when i turn my radio up!!!

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Haha my ring gear is cracked so i didnt get it back, i gotta wait for them to get a new set. There should be absolutely no whining when i get it back now. Yours will whine in no matter what gear your in because it has nothing to do with the transmission. Its the rear end, if there is abnormal wear on the ring and pinion, it will whine. Hopefully ill get it by the end of the week.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

How much did it cost you to do a rebuild your rearend im thinking about doing that.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Well i bought the stuff myself. My new zexel torsen posi cost me $100 (had a 1000miles on it from an 02 camaro). Bought the rebuild kit off ebay for $60. New (used for 100miles) 3:73 gears for $100. The guy is only charging me labor and thats $200. So about $500 if you can really get some good deals like i did.

Oh and i also added a Mac rear end girdle that i found for $80 but thats not needed.

pewter
    01 trans am ws6

ryan just curious on the update on your car im buying a rebuild kit this week.. Just wanted to kno how things are goin with the new setup.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Its perfect now. I did a doughnut in an intersection last night testing it out haha, it was raining so it kinda just spun. No whine whatsoever. Except im having some ABS issues now, i think he may have hooked some sensors up wrong or something, im about to post a thread about it, its purely electrical though, it drives fine.

Thread Information