rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

need help choosing a gear

alright I'm a noob at this so I don't really know what I should expect from different gears so I would appreciate suggestions. My car is an 00' A4 w/stock gears. My car is a DD but my trips are short(20min max) and I'm never on the highway. I basically want the car to mercilessly nail me to my seat off the line or on low speed rolls for that matter(0-60). I've never been to the strip but I do plan to go occasionally. I'm a college student on a budget so reliability is a must(can't afford breaking anything). I was also wondering how much install will run me. Thanks

The difference you will feel all depends on what you have now 273s/323s and what gear you decide to go with. 373s seems to be the preferred gear for an auto. I would do a stall also I think that will give you the feeling you are looking for off the line. My gears ran $600 installed that included the gears, full installation kit and a speedo recalibration.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    The difference you will feel all depends on what you have now 273s/323s and what gear you decide to go with. 373s seems to be the preferred gear for an auto. I would do a stall also I think that will give you the feeling you are looking for off the line. My gears ran $600 installed that included the gears, full installation kit and a speedo recalibration.
    I have no idea what gears I have right now. I'm guessing 2.73 cuz last time I was on a dyno the operator said I should definitely invest in some gears cuz he said my car felt like it didn't have enough gear

I don't recall off the top of my head what the code is but if you search the site you can find the door code and check it out. Either way 373s would be an upgrade.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

4.56s or higher!!!! Just kidding. With your setup 3.73s would probably the way to go. 4.10s would be a bit steep with an auto but not unheard of. If your only changing the gears, shouldn't be to expensive- gears figure approx. $200 give or take and install depending on shop about $100 to $150 with fluid and such. They only take maybe an hour with two guys. Have them check your bearings too.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    4.56s or higher!!!! Just kidding. With your setup 3.73s would probably the way to go. 4.10s would be a bit steep with an auto but not unheard of. If your only changing the gears, shouldn't be to expensive- gears figure approx. $200 give or take and install depending on shop about $100 to $150 with fluid and such. They only take maybe an hour with two guys. Have them check your bearings too.
    beautiful that falls right in my budget. I'm also buying some 275 DR's with these.
    I have a feeling 3.73+DRs is gonna be a helluva alot of fun

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

No doubt! Let us know how it works out. Might be harder to keep tires on it now, but lighting them up at stoplights is just too much fun. Especially when you can smoke wanna-bes!

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    beautiful that falls right in my budget. I'm also buying some 275 DR's with these.
    I have a feeling 3.73+DRs is gonna be a helluva alot of fun
    Dont skimp get the full install kit. If you are going to be in there may as well replace the bearings, seals, etc... I seriously doubt you will find anyone reputable to do it for $100 if done wrong they will whine like hell. Gears run around 200 the kit is 100-125 range. You will also need your speedo recalibrated.

Thread Information