Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Monterey Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28

My rear end is whining? What can it be?

I just bought a 2002 Camaro Z28 A4 with 35,000 miles on it. The car is perfect but it has a whine in the rear end. I have been trying to figure out what it is but im stumped! It whines all the time, more under load and deceleration. Its not too loud and their isnt any grinding or trans issues but its annoying. The car is like brand new so i hope its not anything huge or expensive. I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys what it might be?
    2002 Camaro Z28, A4, Monterey Maroon
    Slp Lid

White
    1998 Trans Am

You could check or change the gear oil to a heavier weight, but most of these F-bodys have the famous rear end whine... My stock 10 bolt did it with every gear set I put in to it, and now I have a moser 12 bolt that whines. I think the torque arm amplifies the noise in to the floor... Turn up the volume or get exhaust cut outs !!! LOL

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree with above. Get a louder exhaust. Problem solved

Pewter
    99 Z28

Be sure to check the level(the obvious answer that someone had to say). Gear whine from what I understand is often a function of pinion depth/backlash in the ring and pinion. Gears that are too tight (too low backlash) can also whine.

However I do agree that a lot of the time its accepted noise, especially with these cars

Monterey Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the input.Im new to Fbodys so I guess i have to get used to the sounds. I just changed the fluid to Royal Purple Max Gear. It still whines but I'm buying a LM1 soon so untill then I guess I'll just deal with it haha. Im still going to get a professionals opinon too just to make sure.

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you plan on racing it, just keep an eye open for a good deal on a 12 bolt or 9" rear. The stock rear is weak for beating on them. Good Luck !!!

Monterey Maroon
    2002 Camaro Z28

Hopefully soon ill get it to the track I want to see what it will do stock so i can see how much my time improves as i mod it. Im actually looking for an 02 SLP lid and a LM1 if anyone knows if someone has one they are looking to sell.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1dreamin02 View Post
    Hopefully soon ill get it to the track I want to see what it will do stock so i can see how much my time improves as i mod it. Im actually looking for an 02 SLP lid and a LM1 if anyone knows if someone has one they are looking to sell.
    I have a SLP Y-pipe. If you are definitely going with the SLP LM1, you might also want to consider replacing that flat OEM Y-pipe. Let me know.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Like the other guy said. My 10 bolt whined, got a Strange 12 bolt and now it screams like a scalded dog. Doesn't bother me. Still takes the 6,500rpm dumps on slicks so I don't worry about it.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1dreamin02 View Post
    Thanks for the input.Im new to Fbodys so I guess i have to get used to the sounds. I just changed the fluid to Royal Purple Max Gear. It still whines but I'm buying a LM1 soon so untill then I guess I'll just deal with it haha. Im still going to get a professionals opinon too just to make sure.
    Found your problem.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Yes I wouldn't put Royal Purple in my engine or Rear end.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

most of the time it's due to improper backlash... have a qualified mechanic set the proper backlash and your wine will either go away or be less obvious....

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

you're kind of close by... i know i guy who use to build pro stock cars... and he built EVERYTHING for them including the rear... he did my brothers 95 impala SS with 4.10's and it has NO whine at all... i'll give him a buzz tomorrow and see if he can check out the rear on your car... he'd probably just charge a case of beer (and talk your ear off the entire time he's working)...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

GM also makes a synthetic gear lube that will quiet it down or completely remove the sound you're hearing. My 01 Camaro 10 bolt had this sound the day I bought it (4yrs ago) with 29k on the clock. Put it in under warranty, and they used lube that was designed to make it quiet. It's been silent ever since.

Maybe this will help:http://www.ws6.com/faq/4_4.htm#ch4_4c

Q: What's that whining/grinding noise from the rear on slow turns?

A: The new 4th gens require rearend service (differential oil change) early in life - usually around 7,500 miles (although some have done it even earlier). When you replace the differential oil, make sure you add GM limited slip additive. (Note, the additive should not be necessary if you use synthetic diff oil.) This should alleviate most of the noises coming from rearend. Otherwise, it's probably standard rear gear noise. GM hasn't changed the F-body rear end since 1982 and they all make some form of noise.
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-19-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I purchased a '98 T/A WS6 new from the factory. During the life of the car, and I had it from 20 miles up to 152K miles til I totalled it, I had to have the rearend rebuilt 4 times, 3 under warranty and once on my quarter. Every time I had it rebuilt, it wasn't 25K miles before it would start whining again. One would think, that when a rearend is rebuilt by a certified mechanic, it would be done correctly. My conclusion was that the design of the rearend was not strong enough for the HP that these engines put out. No brainer! However, I now have a Midwest Chassis 9" rearend with 4.10's and it whines and recently has developed a grinding/shuttering/groaning noise while in a low speed turn. I plan on getting the rearend gear lube replaced making sure the limited slip diff. additive is present and hope this will take care of the lowspeed turning noise.
    On another note, I recently moved my wife from TN and in the process, my car was really loaded down. There were times when I would hit a bump, the axle stops would hit...that's low!!! But surprisingly, the rearend whining completely stopped....did the lowering of the car on the suspension change the angle of the driveshaft in it's relationship to the rearend eliminate the whine????? Curious.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

It might be your rear telling you it is getting ready to take a dump......that is what mine is saying right now

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I hate when they tell us stuff like that!!! I thought 9" rearends were supposed to be bulletproof????

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    I hate when they tell us stuff like that!!! I thought 9" rearends were supposed to be bulletproof????

Yea me too. At least you know to start saving. It may just be bearings in your case since you have a beefy ring and pinion.

Mine whines and roars so both bearings and R&P are shot in my case I am afraid. Been looking a used 12bolt or 9" for 6 months but they don't show up often. In the meantime my DR's have been collecting dust because the next dead hook I am afraid will pop it. Made a few passes on my street tires though cause it's hard to sit there while everybody else is running

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ya'll scared of some gear whine. Why not just put one of these Rockwell axels in your F body?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Ya'll scared of some gear whine. Why not just put one of these Rockwell axels in your F body?

Click for full size
    Too small

Thread Information