Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Exclamation My rear end is just about done.

So my backlash or something in my rear is completely fried. I dont every plan on making my car a 11 second car so I think that the 10 bolt will be ok for my application... I am wrong tho?? I thought about getting a new differential and a new set of 4.10s. This will be the easiest for me because I plan on doing everything myself. I find no value in having someone else do all the work.

So im thinking about dropping my rear end out, painting it and replacing all the bearings and seals as well.

Any advice would be helpful.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

if you run the car hard burnouts/hard launches change the rear end for a 12 bolt, cause it will break eventually.
    If you drive the car like its got a 4cyl in it just keep your 10 bolt.
    But its not worth putting 4.10s in a 10 bolt rear imo.
    Since your doing the work yourself buy a 12 bolt with the gears you want already in it, and intall it youself
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

It all depends on what you want to spend and how much work you're willing to take on. If you are mechanically inclined, it's not very hard to work on the rear. Because I'm such a cheap SOB (and my kids bleed money like a car never could!), I can't make the justification for $2K+ for a rear (even though, I can't quibble about the intrinsic value of a 12-bolt, 9" or 60), when I can spend $200 or so on parts to freshen the rear every 18 to 24 months when it starts to complain. Now, I've never hit the car harder than a 1.88 60' (in part, to protect the rear), but I do put 60-70 runs on it a year and it is my daily driver.

The point is, you can make it work for you, if you really want to. But, don't think that means you don't have to pay attention when it gives you those little signs.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The car has a ton of miles and I think even in the long run if I go and be in hardcore debt now it will benefit down the line. I dont know if I want to go bolt in 9" or 12 bolt. Once its in I dont feel like doing anything to it except change the occasional bearings and fluid often.

Thread Information