Page 1 of 12 12345 ... LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

My 8.8 Rear Build

We I've been planning this for a while and I didn't want to start this thread until I was sure I was going to go ahead and do it. I may be wasting my time and money but something I want to try. I've seen several cars that have done this build and have put up very impressive times and have a rear that if done right, just as good as a 9" and a 1/3 of the cost. When Spaz got his I've been waiting to hear if he manage to destroy it. It's been several months now and every time I ask him he says it hasn't yet. I think he's tired of me asking

So far I've gotten an 8.8 Rear from an Eddie Bauer Ford Edition Explorer. This already has 31 spline 4.10 gears. (Bonus) I've also acquired a used 10 bolt from a 97' Trans Am.

This build thread is going to take a while so please be patient. I'm working with some one else and I'm at the mercy of his work schedule. Our schedules only overlap a few hrs during the week. Besides I want it done right so it's going to take some time.

For now I have these pics.

10 bolt

Yeah that's my ugly mug..... draining the 8.8 rear

Tonight was mostly getting set up, taking measurements, checking them several times and then tearing down both rears. I'm going to do a ladder bar setup just like Spaz's car.

So hopefully I'll be able to post something every week here.

Price list so far:

10 bolt: $60
    8.8 with 31 spine 4.10 gears: $500 ( I know I paid more then I should for a used rear but with it coming with the gears and the spline count it saved me from buying it all so here I'm still ahead in $$$)

MAJOR EDIT: Some how I forgot to add the measurements for the 10 bolt & 8.8. Here they are:

10 Bolt measurements

10 bolt to 8.8 alignment. Find the pinon center point for both and that is you common reference point between the two.

Last edited by SMWS6TA; 09-05-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Added a Price list

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Looking forward to it, post all the pics you can, then the masses will follow. Well, at least me. So many people on here would like a cheaper alternative to the $3500 bill that comes with the 12 bolt.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I'm looking forward to this also. Although I've been debating this with several people, I might just stick with rebuilding the 10 bolt. I feel like I've already stepped to far over the line with my original plans.

Navy Blue Metallic

From what I've research (like mad over the last 3 months) the major problem is pre-heating the Ford chunk and remember to use Nickle rod when welding the 10 bolt tubes to the Ford rear. I'm following 2 threads on tech about this so I'm able to ask them how if I run into any problems.

Every thread so far is fabbing a mount for the torque arm but I'm not going that route. I like the ladder bar setup that Spaz has. It looks like it will make it so much easier to do and give it an old school muscle car fell. Benefits of no Torque Arm will be a solid plant of the power and room to run true duals if I want to in the future.

Navy Blue Metallic

I went back to the first post and added a price list. As I buy stuff I'll update it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    From what I've research (like mad over the last 3 months) the major problem is pre-heating the Ford chunk and remember to use Nickle rod when welding the 10 bolt tubes to the Ford rear. I'm following 2 threads on tech about this so I'm able to ask them how if I run into any problems.

Every thread so far is fabbing a mount for the torque arm but I'm not going that route. I like the ladder bar setup that Spaz has. It looks like it will make it so much easier to do and give it an old school muscle car fell. Benefits of no Torque Arm will be a solid plant of the power and room to run true duals if I want to in the future.
    also with the ladder bar the rear no longer does a squat when flooring it... it stands instead...

my only problem so far is the rear sway bar rubs slightly on the pumpkin... the rear is strong as hell...

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

nice man! make an extra one so you can sell it to me lol

Navy Blue Metallic

Spaz - I've read where others say that with your set up the rear has problems doing slalom driving or auto X type racing. Have you tried anything like this and if so any problems?

Navy Blue Metallic

Well today my wife made a mistake by taking a nap and leaving me alone So I took off to my friends work shop and got in about 3 hrs of work. I again went over all the measurements and leveled it out the back of the pumpkin. I used that as my reference point for all angles. This will let me have a common reference point between the 2 rear ends. I triple check all my angle measurements and got to cutting......I'm getting excited....

Here are some pics. I'll type up what I did later. I need to do some other stuff.....wife caught me and gave me the

Pic of doing it the hard way (I'll explain later......)

pic of doing it the right and EASY way.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

subbed!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

What tubes are you going with?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I've seen 8.8s done a few times but the torque arm mount always ends up being the trickiest part. Really look forward to seeing more with this

Navy Blue Metallic

This is on the 10 bolt rear. If you are using this as a guide YOU MUST verify these angles and measurements on your 10 bolt, these are what I read.

I'll try to write out a sheet that has the axle measurements and insert later.

In some of the following pics you'll see them still on. You can do it during tear down or wait till you get to needing the angle for the break Mount

Last edited by SMWS6TA; 05-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

On to the fun stuff.....

Navy Blue Metallic

After I got the 10 bolt cut I finished tear down on the 8.8 Rear. Gears look really good - no excessive wear and no metal shavings. The bearings look real good too. It looks to me like this rear wasn't abused. - it doesn't know what I'm going to do to it yet...

And this is about the time I got the call from Household Six (aka the wife) to remind me I have other stuff to do so this is where I stopped today.

I did get one of the axles cut on the 8.8 rear but I ran into a bracket that needs grind off in order to make the cut. Of course when I get that done more pics...
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 05-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    What tubes are you going with?
    I got a donor 10 bolt off a 97" Trans Am prior to being crush. We also liberated a LT1 and as much other stuff as we could. The yard would not sell the car to us. Only thing wrong was the PCM was out. We could have saved it but for some reason in this area the junk yards are refusing to sell whole cars anymore

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    I've seen 8.8s done a few times but the torque arm mount always ends up being the trickiest part. Really look forward to seeing more with this
    I'm not going that route. I'm going to do a ladder bar set up like Spaz has. Much easier to do and just as strong.

When taking the gears out of the 8.8 I had a hell of a time getting the pinon out. Ended up having to beat it out. Those damn things are pressed in there good.

Now I have to add a new pinon on the list because I did this:

Navy Blue Metallic

One more thing to add.....I just looked through the thread after I posted the pics....Yes I now see all the spelling mistakes.....I'm tired is my only excuse for not catching it. I'll try better from here out.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz:2772140

also with the ladder bar the rear no longer does a squat when flooring it... it stands instead
    How does that affect traction?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Too much work for me. How much will this rear cost finished and ready to go. I have the checkbook out and I'm ready to write.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Page 1 of 12 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information