Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Motive, Richmond, or SLP

This is a discussion on Motive, Richmond, or SLP within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I want to put in some 4.10's in my car, it's a 6 speed.. Motive, Richmond, and SLP are all ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Motive, Richmond, or SLP

    I want to put in some 4.10's in my car, it's a 6 speed.. Motive, Richmond, and SLP are all within $30 of eachother, so which one is better?

  2. #2
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    I want to put in some 4.10's in my car, it's a 6 speed.. Motive, Richmond, and SLP are all within $30 of eachother, so which one is better?
    The gears from SLP will be made by Motive. In my experience, they are both good.

    You are gonna have so much fun with a set of 4:10's!!

  3. #3
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Yeah I'm looking forward to it! So how exactly will these be an improvement?

  4. #4
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Yeah I'm looking forward to it! So how exactly will these be an improvement?
    It will improve your acceleration and keep your engine more in its powerband. 6th gear will be way more usefull. You will almost always be in the right gear

  5. #5
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    oh ok cool.. i can't wait to get em in.. probably will order them in the next couple of days.

  6. #6
    Formulatastic yellowv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,271

    Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

    Stay away from Richmond whatever you do. They will whine like crazy. Motive/SLP gears are a little noisy but not nearly the level of Richmond. Take my word for it and buy GM gears if you go with 4:10's. They are more expensive but worth it. They are stronger and quieter than any aftermarket gear you can buy. I know from experience. Also superior makes good gears.

  7. #7
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Stay away from Richmond whatever you do. They will whine like crazy. Motive/SLP gears are a little noisy but not nearly the level of Richmond. Take my word for it and buy GM gears if you go with 4:10's. They are more expensive but worth it. They are stronger and quieter than any aftermarket gear you can buy. I know from experience. Also superior makes good gears.
    Thats an opinion. It's all in the install and setup.

  8. #8
    Formulatastic yellowv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,271

    Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Thats an opinion. It's all in the install and setup.

    Find me a set of Richmonds in a 10 blt that are quiet and I'll give you $1000. They are noisy gears. Thats a fact not an opinion. GM gears are quieter. I have used Superiors, Motives, Richmonds and GM's. How many sets of gears have you had in a 10 bolt rear?

  9. #9
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Find me a set of Richmonds in a 10 blt that are quiet and I'll give you $1000. They are noisy gears. Thats a fact not an opinion. GM gears are quieter. I have used Superiors, Motives, Richmonds and GM's. How many sets of gears have you had in a 10 bolt rear?
    Come to Pa and get ready to pay up!

  10. #10
    Senior Member splitfinger09's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma, United
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,264

    Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

    Genuine GM gears
    http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=gm0e410|0

  11. #11
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Find me a set of Richmonds in a 10 blt that are quiet and I'll give you $1000. They are noisy gears. Thats a fact not an opinion. GM gears are quieter. I have used Superiors, Motives, Richmonds and GM's. How many sets of gears have you had in a 10 bolt rear?
    I set Richmonds up all the time for people,,,come on over and lets go for a ride. I prefer cash only

  12. #12
    Junior Member FastTaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    kent oh
    Age
    74
    Posts
    10

    black
    2000 ta ws6

    how long before those 4.10 gears break in the 10 bolt rear end,stock 2000 ta,running M?T street slicks

  13. #13
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by FastTaz View Post
    how long before those 4.10 gears break in the 10 bolt rear end,stock 2000 ta,running M?T street slicks
    Okay I'll answer. Other gear manufactures may have different break in procedures. I use Richmond exclusively and they recommend to jack the car up and run the car in gear (no load on the rear) for so many miles/minutes and then stop. Let the rearend completely cool for several hours,,,,then I usually do this a second time.

    After that I drive the car and put light loads on the rearend only for several miles,,,,then another cool down.

    After that it's ready to rock and roll.

  14. #14
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    It will improve your acceleration and keep your engine more in its powerband. 6th gear will be way more usefull. You will almost always be in the right gear
    How will this help for an automatic? I have 3.73 ready to go and am just looking forward to experiencing them. Any opinions.
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

  15. #15
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    How will this help for an automatic? I have 3.73 ready to go and am just looking forward to experiencing them. Any opinions.
    It will help alot. I am not real into the Autos, but I think a stall would compliment it alot.

  16. #16
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Okay I'll answer. Other gear manufactures may have different break in procedures. I use Richmond exclusively and they recommend to jack the car up and run the car in gear (no load on the rear) for so many miles/minutes and then stop. Let the rearend completely cool for several hours,,,,then I usually do this a second time.

    After that I drive the car and put light loads on the rearend only for several miles,,,,then another cool down.

    After that it's ready to rock and roll.

    I think he meant how long until they actually break, not break in.

  17. #17
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    I think he meant how long until they actually break, not break in.
    Oh,,,,LOL,,,,well in that case,,,,I don't put much faith in these 7.5 inch 10 bolts no matter what gear you install,,,,they are all ticking time bombs. Biggest mistake GM made with these cars.

  18. #18
    2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lathrop, Missouri
    Posts
    2,479

    NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

    Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    I want to put in some 4.10's in my car, it's a 6 speed.. Motive, Richmond, and SLP are all within $30 of eachother, so which one is better?
    Motives!!!
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

    1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

    2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

  19. #19
    Formulatastic yellowv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,271

    Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

    Okay let me clarify my statement. Richmonds can be set up to run quietly, but they wont stay that way. A few decent launches and they will get noisier and noisier. I had 2 sets in my black WS.6 and after install and for a few weeks they were quiet as could be. A few launches at the track on drag radials and they whined like a bitch. And they were properly broken in. Now in a 9", 12 bolt or even Ford 8.8" Richmonds are great but in our rears they tend to be the noisiest gears avialable.

  20. #20
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Okay let me clarify my statement. Richmonds can be set up to run quietly, but they wont stay that way. A few decent launches and they will get noisier and noisier. I had 2 sets in my black WS.6 and after install and for a few weeks they were quiet as could be. A few launches at the track on drag radials and they whined like a bitch. And they were properly broken in. Now in a 9", 12 bolt or even Ford 8.8" Richmonds are great but in our rears they tend to be the noisiest gears avialable.
    Your gears were not properly set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Richmond vs Motive 4;10 gears
    By JayL in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
  2. Near Richmond, VA
    By WhiteWolf in forum Eastern Members
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM
  3. 3.73 richmond
    By 13nickels in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 09:46 PM
  4. richmond 4.10's
    By blky2kz in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 11:58 PM
  5. Richmond 3.73's
    By jimmyboy8301 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 08:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •