Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

mosler vs strange 12 bolt/ford 9" or dana 60?

This is a discussion on mosler vs strange 12 bolt/ford 9" or dana 60? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by efirdj thats one thing i forgot to mention. like i said earlier, i have the spool. its ...

Quote Originally Posted by efirdj View Post
    thats one thing i forgot to mention. like i said earlier, i have the spool. its great for off the line traction, but for cornering, it chatters the hell out of the car. which in turn wreaks havoc on the bushings.

i also have a set of 315's on the back, with no issues. i just run a 5/16 spacer to keep the wheel from rubbing on the bump stop.
    On my p315/235r17 I had to use .125 (1/8 inch) spacers to stop inter fender rub.

Navy Blue
    2000 SS

Strange... All the way. I am biased though. I am good friends with the owner of the shop that assembles/welds all of strange's housing assemblies. I believe that Strange came out with another bolt in option besides the 12 bolt. They casted their own Dana 60 center section to accept the torque arm. Had the chance to have the prototype axle in my car but I still didnt have the motor in at the time. Anyhow, they order the spring perches/brackets from GM and weld everthing with jigs, so they are exact. I was going to custom order an axle that was just a little bit wider than OEM spec so that I could fit OEM Z06 wheels on the rear without spacers. I just had to figure out how much wider the tubes needed to be (and then they will cut the axle shafts longer) and what choice of brakes I wanted to run to determine the housing end. My friend suggested the "new stlye Ford" housing end b/c it runs a bigger bearing than GM... and i found Wilwood rear brakes w/parking brake option for that housing end (basically same thing Wilwood's Camaro rear drag brake set-up w/parking brake except for ford housing end).

Point being, it wasn't going to cost much more (100-200) to have built and it would be better than your normal 12 bolt "drop in". I never had my friend build it b/c some guy owed me money so I swapped out HIS moser 12 bolt (1000 mils on it) with my factory axle as part of his payment to me.

Ratdaddy07
    efirdj I may be wrong but several people told me spacers are not a safe way to go when putting alot of power to the ground, I just ground the bump stop off. Figured I would rather bottom out than lose a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    efirdj I may be wrong but several people told me spacers are not a safe way to go when putting alot of power to the ground, I just ground the bump stop off. Figured I would rather bottom out than lose a wheel.
    ? I cant see how a spacer could be unsafe unless your studs are to short.

Red
    1996 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skar View Post
    ? I cant see how a spacer could be unsafe unless your studs are to short.
    thats true. it CAN be a bad thing. extra stress is put on the studs by moving the wheel outwards, which can in turn, shear the studs off. so, you have to be careful that you dont get a spacer thats TOO wide. but, the way i get around that is by having my ET Streets mounted on my stock rims, alliveating the need for the spacers when i have a lot of traction. my street tires are a cheap brand that doesnt offer much in the way of traction, meaning that i am not putting THAT much stress on the wheels/studs.

Torch Red
    2K3 SVT Cobra 10th Av.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I think I am decided on my rearend.
    Strange 9", 4.11's, 4 channel, 33 spline
    a fine choice...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information