Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Moser 9in fixing to be put in

This is a discussion on Moser 9in fixing to be put in within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ASh302 I get what your saying for sure, I just did not want to have to drop ...

Quote Originally Posted by ASh302 View Post
    I get what your saying for sure, I just did not want to have to drop the cash right now if I did not have to, being that I already thrown the money on the Moser 9in, the Moser rear end is already here, that would be the thing is waiting on the driveshaft to get here and then i'm stuck like chuck and just waiting on the driveshaft.

ASh
    Ah okay, you're way ahead of me. If the rearend is already there, I'd go ahead and toss that in and see where you're at as far as driveshaft length. Never know, the stocker might slide in and work

Like I said, works fine for me, but I use a 12 bolt. I think that 9 inch is going to be a bit closer. Never hurts to try though.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am fairly certain I had to take a measurement on our car when I ordered the PST.
    Yeah that seems a bit odd to me (but that's just my thinking) considering I think PST deals with Strange, Moser, Currie and being that this is a typical 4th gen rearend upgrade that they have seen a million times, and if the car is otherwise unaltered, they would know what works and what doesn't.

But then again I don't deal with the mail order driveshaft stuff. When I build stuff here I use a local shop up the street that makes the shafts for me with a 2-3 day turn around. I just measure it off, tell him what I want and it's done.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I'm curious to find out, but also would rather order it and if anything will be on phone with moser to ask, already wrote a email, but never know how long it would take for them to get back to me. Also the shop doing the install idk how long it would be for them to get to that point, I want the guy not to rush, but also not take more time than needed for the install than it should.
    I'm just now learning this about the drive shaft and i'm just up in the air now on what to do. I'm curious to see if the 9in is different from the 12bolt and who knows the drive shaft "like you said" may just slide right in there and be perfect fit.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

looking online to see about the stock drive shaft,
    They did a Moser 9in on a Camaro SS and just need to change the u-joint, but highly suggest the drive shaft.
    Moser 12 Bolt and 9 Inch F Body Installation Instructions

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

OK I went ahead and solved this problem of the drive shaft and just order the PST alum drive shaft 3.5 and called it a day.
    PST DRA3.5 3-1/2" 120 Wall Alum w/Forged Slip Yoke - Free Shipping

That is the one I got.

ASh

That link shows exactly what I was thinking. They already have pre-determined lengths for the 4th gen.

Also notice how the 10 bolt and 12 bolt rears both list the same length shaft, and a different length is listed for the 9 inch. Again what I suspected.

I think it's safe to say that getting the new driveshaft was the thing to do Ash, since looking at that link tells me your stocker wouldn't have fit with your 9 inch swap.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I've only broken one 1350 in my life and that was on the race track with a heavy 1968 Hemi GTX, a 4200 stall converter and 10" slicks. I must also say that I had a full season of racing on that joint and the other joint survived.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That link shows exactly what I was thinking. They already have pre-determined lengths for the 4th gen.

Also notice how the 10 bolt and 12 bolt rears both list the same length shaft, and a different length is listed for the 9 inch. Again what I suspected.

I think it's safe to say that getting the new driveshaft was the thing to do Ash, since looking at that link tells me your stocker wouldn't have fit with your 9 inch swap.
    yes that is what it looks like that even if I got the adapter from Napa, my driveshaft would be a time bomb waiting to happen.
    I talked with brutespeed.com and he said and even on there write up that could use the stock driveshaft but would need the adapter part, also got a email back from Moser and they said the same thing about the adapter part. So it can be done with stock driveshaft, but would be safer and more insurance to have the aftermarket driveshaft.

As you called it, I figure with as many people have order rear ends they knew which ones to get for which rear end and made myself feel better.

Driveshaft should be here Weds and hoping to have the car back this week

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I've only broken one 1350 in my life and that was on the race track with a heavy 1968 Hemi GTX, a 4200 stall converter and 10" slicks. I must also say that I had a full season of racing on that joint and the other joint survived.
    With what I am doing with the T/A I shouldn't have a problem or even come close to breaking it
    I'm saying down the road maybe 500rwhp on a loaded dyno is what I am going for, but it will be awhile. I just put that number out there for a idea of how much I might plan to make

ASh

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I bought my 9" and PST drive shaft from Bob.
    It's on jackstands.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I bought my 9" and PST drive shaft from Bob.
    I was very happy with the replies through email with him, I would write and get a answer back. customer service is a big one for me.
    when I ordered my SCT custom tune from John Lund he was amazing guy to deal with and very helpful and kind, taking the time to answer any questions I had.

I like the write up they had,
    just new to the F-bodies and where to buy parts, talk to me about mustangs and I can tell you where to go for what,

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

UPDATE: well as of a couple hours ago, the SLP LM1 system is up on the car, the Moser 9in axle is put together and suppose to do test fitting tonight to see and make sure nothing is hitting. I'm getting excitied and have learned a couple of things about the install process, which is good to know. Hope to have it back tomorrow, which would be sweet, but if not than I guess Monday. Will update when I get it back or any other things go on.

ASh
    pajeff02 likes this.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I am fairly certain I had to take a measurement on our car when I ordered the PST.
    When I order from brutespeed they had it picked out that way on just on a link to put in what rear end one is using and that would select the length for the driveshaft.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

UPDATE 14 Dec 2014
    I called yesterday and they said Monday was looking like the day to get the T/A back. I hope tomorrow for sure works out
    As soon as I get her home, will upload the DiabloSport InTune. Got a couple of other little things that need to go on
    Well need to post pictures

ASh
    pajeff02 likes this.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

17 DEC 2014 update: ok first I would like to say that I am not very happy with this shop, they seem to like to put other cars in front of mine, so they can keep the flow coming in, which in return, they take longer on mine. I have already stated that I was not happy with how long it is taking.
    Got a call to come back and got to start it up the first time with the LM1 and love the sound.
    There are just a few small little things to finish up and it will be done, and as of right now, try to have it done tomorrow or Friday, but I'm not holding em to it.
    Also found out that I need the new rear sway bar mounting brackets and so will be ordering the bolt on BMR mounting brackets and going to go ahead and order also a BMR rear sway bar. That will be order very soon.

ASh

Wow, what an ordeal this turned into for you. Bet it will feel good to have it back.

Yeah Moser seems to not want to weld on sway bar brackets for some reason and requires a bolt on deal for the axle tubes at an extra expense. They also never used to weld on the brake line tabs either, not sure if they finally started doing that or not.

Strange welds a set of permanent sway bar brackets on the tubes as well as brake line tabs so there is no monkey business,.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I ordered our Moser with welded swap bar brackets. No option for brake line tabs though, so they ended up zip tied.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow, what an ordeal this turned into for you. Bet it will feel good to have it back.

Yeah Moser seems to not want to weld on sway bar brackets for some reason and requires a bolt on deal for the axle tubes at an extra expense. They also never used to weld on the brake line tabs either, not sure if they finally started doing that or not.

Strange welds a set of permanent sway bar brackets on the tubes as well as brake line tabs so there is no monkey business,.
    It truly has been testing me on how long they have taken, but its all good, now if they try to charge me some more for time, there maybe a problem

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

UPDATE 18 DEC 2014: Well the guy that had his day off, came in and took it around for test drive, I went up there to see how things were and to pick up the axles that Moser sent me that they did not cancel the order. Matt there at Moser admitted the mess up and sent me a return label, all good there.
    The other guy there told me that he believe it was pretty much done, but the other guy wanted to do one last inspection, but told me I could take it around the block oh yes I sure did. It sounds so much better and the exhaust sounds great with the LM1, so I was really happy. It ended up being where I got to bring her home, but need to take her up there in the morning to allow the guy to do a final inspection on the T/A and should be good to drive. Also they will want me to come back in later to check everything.
    When I got the T/A home I got my Diablo Sport InTune and up loaded there pre-tune on, the only thing was I could not find on the settings where to change that I have 3.73 gears, have to mess with it soon, but took it for a small drive and just really enjoying the car

Ill have to upload some pictures, the ones I were trying to, were to big so need to down size them

ASh
    pajeff02 likes this.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Congrats, so nice not worrying about the rear breaking.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information