Moser 9" Stock Drive Shaft ?

This is a discussion on Moser 9" Stock Drive Shaft ? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I did a search, looked through about 50 threads and got some conflict... I just installed a Moser 9" learned ...

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Moser 9" Stock Drive Shaft ?

I did a search, looked through about 50 threads and got some conflict... I just installed a Moser 9" learned and few things, have a few questions, I'm still waiting on my axles, hopefully tomorrow she'll be makeing a test drive.

Who's running a stock drive shaft with the P447 universal joint? How's it working for you?

Who opted for a longer/different Drive Shaft?

Who needed to use adjustable LCA's? It looks like the Moser 9" sits about 1/2" to the rear and that seems to pull the drive shaft about 3/8" out of the Transmission?

I'm useing a UMI TQ Arm that relocates to the tunnel, I have G2 LCA's... I don't mind buying adjustable LCA's if others recommend them, as I'm placeing an order for a Spohn sway bar and 9" brackets soon.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I've been running my stock aluminum drive shaft & moser rear, and still never had any problems ! Drag racing it for at least 8 years now !

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I have a stock driveshaft with a stock u joint, use a 1330 yoke on my 3rd member.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the PST DS with the 9". I didn't notice the wheels sitting off-center in the wells, but I haven't physically measured it either. I have non-adj. BMR LCA's.

With the larger diameter DS, the fit is tight with the Torque Arm, but it does clear. No issues yet. Had it installed since last summer.

I THOUGHT there was about a 1/2" length difference when going to the 9" from the 10 bolt.

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Here's an update, the rear is sitting about 5/8" to the rear of the car, not quite 3" between the front fender and the tire, not quite 1-3/4" space in the rear, the drive shaft is sitting about 3/8" to the rear. The suspension may compress a little, she's about 1" higher than she sat with the 10 bolt.

I'm going to get Double Adjustable LCA's... wish i was a math wizard like I used to be, bringing the rear end forward that 5/8" should push the Drive Shaft back forward the 3/8" were it was with the 10 bolt.

Currently running no sway bar isn't noticeable with LCA's and the UMI TQ Arm, a 1" sway bar is going on order as well, don't intend to take off that fast in the mean time, so far it's not noticable.

I apreciate the responses, seeing bills98ta standing the wheels up with a stock drive shaft is reensureing.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had to get the Double Adjustable LCA's too, to get the rear where it belonged. I couldn't re-install my 28" tires, because the moser was so far back... You should get the LCA relo brackets too, for better traction !

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Im using the stock driveshaft in my moser 9" with adj lcas. Mine sits fine. Had it over a year and no problems

NBM
    2000 FRC Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I had to get the Double Adjustable LCA's too, to get the rear where it belonged. I couldn't re-install my 28" tires, because the moser was so far back... You should get the LCA relo brackets too, for better traction !
    I have the 4 hole relo brackets as part of the options on the axle, LCA's are in the bottom hole, along with drain/fill plugs and keeping the abs. I put one of my 26" MT ET's next to the car today and it looked very close to the rear bumper cover, definetly not going to attempt it at this point. 80 miles on the axle, took it from 45 to 73mph tonight, no vibrations, it felt good.

I ordered about $700.oo more parts tonight to finish the rear end, figure I can sell my bolt in BMR relo from the 10 bolt and G2 LCA's for a $120 or so to recoupe some of the extra I didn't plan to spend.

Thank y'all for your help, I had trouble getting answers from the local board.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Moser did put the holes in the wrong location... But, sounds like you have it under control !!! Good Luck !!!

Thread Information