Red
    1998 WS6

Moser 9-inch Rearend Swap

The forum has changed since I was last here 4 or 5 yrs ago. I don't currently know where to post my question. Don't want to upset anyone for posting in the wrong area. But if you can't put light on my question, could you direct me to the proper area to post it.

I have a 98 WS6 with Ford Moser 9-inch rear assembly with richmond 4.11's.
    Has anyone solved the problem with the lubricant being blown out the filler hole? Can a drainer plug be installed in these housings?

Thanks
    Midnitejam

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Um you should have a plug/bolt that threads into the drivers side of the pumpkin near the torque arm mount.
    Or I could be misreading what your trying to ask.

Oh I see your from Parma, I live right over in Strongsville
    Last edited by One_Bad_TA; 05-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Red
    1998 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Um you should have a plug/bolt that threads into the drivers side of the pumpkin near the torque arm mount.
    Or I could be misreading what your trying to ask.

Oh I see your from Parma, I live right over in Strongsville
    Hello Neighbor, Sounds like you're describing a 12-bolt rear. I have the Ford-Moser.
    There is only a breather outlet that in inconveniently located at 11:00 oclock from the top of the pumpkin. The lube is often blown out through this vent. I add lubricant with a squeeze bulb through the vent hole.

My question is this: has anyone fabricated a drain plug in a convenient location on the pumpkin? And how do others with this setup change their lube?

I cruise the metro park and Walace Lake. Red WS6 with black rag top and 6-speed.

Cheers
    midnitejam

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

How about running a hose to an elevated breather, or simply drilling and tapping the axle tubes and installing the breather in an alternative location?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by midnitejam View Post
    Hello Neighbor, Sounds like you're describing a 12-bolt rear. I have the Ford-Moser.
    There is only a breather outlet that in inconveniently located at 11:00 oclock from the top of the pumpkin. The lube is often blown out through this vent. I add lubricant with a squeeze bulb through the vent hole.

My question is this: has anyone fabricated a drain plug in a convenient location on the pumpkin? And how do others with this setup change their lube?

I cruise the metro park and Walace Lake. Red WS6 with black rag top and 6-speed.

Cheers
    midnitejam
    I have a fill plug on the driver side of the pumpkin and a breather hole on the driver side axle tube. I know some 9" housings come with a fill and drain plug as an option. Im sure you could base it off those housings as to where to put one.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I am near Orwell, OH myself. I just finished installing my Moser 9" this weekend. I have a vent on the driver's side axle housing. Everything else are plugs. Not sure if the design has been changed, but you could run a length of tubing - 2 or 3 feet off the fitting. That should eliminate anything from leaking. Haven't had a problem with mine, and I've put a decent amount of miles on it.

Red
    1998 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I am near Orwell, OH myself. I just finished installing my Moser 9" this weekend. I have a vent on the driver's side axle housing. Everything else are plugs. Not sure if the design has been changed, but you could run a length of tubing - 2 or 3 feet off the fitting. That should eliminate anything from leaking. Haven't had a problem with mine, and I've put a decent amount of miles on it.
    I installed mine in 1999 including Richmond 4.11's. I've never been completely satisfied with it a/c the excessive noise. It's an hour's drive to the nearest drag strip. Highway driving is not advisable a/c the noise.

What gears are you running and how would you rate the noise?

ThanX,
    midnitejam

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I have 4.11s as well, but they are Motive. Noise is quite low really. I would have no problem driving the car any distance really. I think my 10 bolt was noisier actually.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I have 4.56's, I believe they are motive. Mines not terribly loud but definitely noticeable. I drive on the highway all they time. Either the t-tops are off, cut out is open or I turn the radio up lol. Cheapest fix. The 9" are generally pretty noisy

Red
    1998 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I have 4.11s as well, but they are Motive. Noise is quite low really. I would have no problem driving the car any distance really. I think my 10 bolt was noisier actually.
    I'm thinking about swapping out my hog's head for one of the new ones with drain plugs.

Are you running with the detroit locker as I am?

Do you know by chance if the hog's heads can be ordered pre set up with gears of choice?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'm thinking about swapping out my hog's head for one of the new ones with drain plugs.

Are you running with the detroit locker as I am?

Do you know by chance if the hog's heads can be ordered pre set up with gears of choice?
    I'm running the TruTrac in mine. You should be able to order it already setup. Mine was. Saved me the time and hassle of doing it.

Red
    1998 WS6

I have 4.56's, I believe they are motive. Mines not terribly loud but definitely noticeable. I drive on the highway all they time. Either the t-tops are off, cut out is open or I turn the radio up lol. Cheapest fix. The 9" are generally pretty noisy
    I'm wondering how those 4.56's are doing for you at the track. Do you have to shift to 5th to cross the finish line?

My bird is a 6-speed convertable. I've replaced all stock chasis with Hochkiss, plus I have a prototype torque rod built especially for convertables.

I have Hooker headers, off-road down pipes (no O2 sensors) and open cutout. Proto-type hi-ratio roller rockers and molley push rods.

My best times have been high 12's and 108-115 mph on street tires. MPH depends on the 60-footer.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I'm wondering how those 4.56's are doing for you at the track. Do you have to shift to 5th to cross the finish line?

My bird is a 6-speed convertable. I've replaced all stock chasis with Hochkiss, plus I have a prototype torque rod built especially for convertables.

I have Hooker headers, off-road down pipes (no O2 sensors) and open cutout. Proto-type hi-ratio roller rockers and molley push rods.

My best times have been high 12's and 108-115 mph on street tires. MPH depends on the 60-footer.
    With my stock tires yes I do shift into 5th. But I have a 28" tall slick perfect for my gear. If you need some prices or questions on parts for your 9" shoot me a pm. The guy I have worked with on mine has helped me out a lot and is a good guy to deal with and is pretty cheap. I just recently got a Grizzly Yukon locker. How do you like your locker?

Red
    1998 WS6

With my stock tires yes I do shift into 5th. But I have a 28" tall slick perfect for my gear. If you need some prices or questions on parts for your 9" shoot me a pm. The guy I have worked with on mine has helped me out a lot and is a good guy to deal with and is pretty cheap. I just recently got a Grizzly Yukon locker. How do you like your locker?
    The guy that did the work for me was Steve at STEVE'S DYNO in Mentor

The Detroit Locker doesn't depend on clutches for lock. The locking mechanicism is not achieved with clutches. And it screams like a fu**ed fox in a forest fire.

I have begun toying with the idea of a new replacement hog's head. And I am definitely interested in prices and parts.

I'm curious about the availability of a complete HH with 4.11 gears already set
    up
    wwebbjr@aol.com
    Thanks

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

The guy that did the work for me was Steve at STEVE'S DYNO in Mentor

The Detroit Locker doesn't depend on clutches for lock. The locking mechanicism is not achieved with clutches. And it screams like a fu**ed fox in a forest fire.

I have begun toying with the idea of a new replacement hog's head. And I am definitely interested in prices and parts.

I'm curious about the availability of a complete HH with 4.11 gears already set
    up
    wwebbjr@aol.com
    Thanks
    Well I've already gone through 2 trac locs with just a little over 400 whp. I got this locker cause it has a warranty lol. Ill pm you about prices and parts

Red
    1998 WS6

Well I've already gone through 2 trac locs with just a little over 400 whp. I got this locker cause it has a warranty lol. Ill pm you about prices and parts
    BTW: I wrote an excell spreadsheet before I retired from a research/analyist position. It calculates RPM/Gear/Speed/Tire-size statistics. The spreadsheet uses intricate formulas for calculating results of the remaining variables when any specific variable is changed. Example, plug in gear ratio to see the changes in MPH-to RPM for each of the 6 gears. Plug in a specific RPM and read how it changes MPH for each gear. It's a very very handy tool.

Cheers.

Thread Information