black
    99 Trans am WS6

moser 9" doesn't fit

I just bought a Moser 9" for my 99 ta convertible and I have a few problems with the way it fits into my car. It came with a fill plug and it's rubbing on the plastic fuel tank. The most logical fix would be to adjust the trailing arms shorter to move the rear more foward in the car but the torque arm hits in the drive shaft tunnel and the adaptor bracket for the torque arm also hits the floor. I've contacted moser several times about this and it seems like they don't want to do anything about it. They claim that they have made hundreds of these rears and that I'm the first to complain about it. So I decided to check some other cars that had the same rear and I found that the rear was hitting in the same locations, except they didn't have filler caps, rubbing holes in their fuel tanks but, I could tell that the fuel tank had made contact with the rear. The last call to moser I made, I was told that the owner of moser had an f-body convertible like mine and he had no such problem. I'm sorry but I just don't believe it and I'm mad as hell. Can anyone help me before I make the car fit the rear? Thanks pete.
    Last edited by transampete; 08-30-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I have seen a few F-bodies (no verts yet) running a Moser 9" that had to cut the floor pan of the car and raise up the area for the TQ arm to fit and to clear. I believe I know the exact area you are talking about. I was at RPM yesterday getting my car re-tuned and there was a TA on the lift that had a Moser 9" and you could see where they had to cut out and rivet in a section of the floor pan. sorry i took no pics, if this thread was created 2 days ago, I would have...

I wanted to go w/a Moser 9" but I dont want to hack up my car to make it fit. I don't know what to tell you, or how yu should proceed. Good luck...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

black
    99 Trans am WS6

Angry Moser 9" doesn't fit

After spending $3000 optioning up this rear, to make it compatible with my 4 channel abs, lower trailing arm brackets, sway bar mounts, and black powder coating, giving me the run around with no response to my plea is no way to treat a customer. It seems to me that there should be a disclaimer on Moser's website about how much you have to hack up a car to make this fit correctly. You would think Speed Inc with the experience they have with working on late model f bodies, would have mentioned something to me when I made the initial purchase from them. Pictures of modifications to my car and/or rear will follow if I do not receive adequate response from Moser.

Pete

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i agree, pretty crappy customer service...

if Speed Inc. isnt much help, call Bob at EPP (Exotic Performance Plus) and talk with him about the situation. Like yourself I wanted a Moser 9" 4-channel rear to retain both my ABS and Trac Control...

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Wow, that's crazy. I was lookin at a moser that said it was straight replacement for stock 10 bolt. That's bad that it could be advertised like that and take cutting/hacking.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I dont know what to say... we didnt have to do any hacking and nothing hits with mine or my UMI torque arm.. I dont have any problems with mine except a little gear whine.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Did you get the one specifically for GM f-bodies? I think they have it built for a few different applications.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

you probably got the universal one

Black
    99 SS

mine fit perfect

black
    99 Trans am WS6

I have a bmr torque arm, I ordered the rear from speed inc. and was very specific 99 ta 3.89 gear, trac arm relocation bracket, sway bar mounts, drain plug, working abs, and black powder coating. I asked if my adj bmr torque arm would work and they said yes. after having trouble with the fit, I spoke with someone at speed and they said sometimes they do hit. As I said in my earlier post, I was able to check other cars with the same problem. The torque arm adaptor bracket top bolt hits the floor in front and oil fill cap rubs the fuel tank in the back. If the torque arm was the only problem I could deal with it. I'm working on making the rear fit into my car and I will post before and after pictures of the mods, with detailed info about what I did, when I am done, then you can decide if this was a legitimate problem or not. I'm shocked that more people aren't having the same problems. thanks for the replies

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I am interested to see how this plays out. I was/am leaning towards a Moser 9" for my rearend as well.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    99 SS

it fits fine, call Bob at Exotic Performance plus

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by transampete View Post
    I have a bmr torque arm, I ordered the rear from speed inc. and was very specific 99 ta 3.89 gear, trac arm relocation bracket, sway bar mounts, drain plug, working abs, and black powder coating. I asked if my adj bmr torque arm would work and they said yes. after having trouble with the fit, I spoke with someone at speed and they said sometimes they do hit. As I said in my earlier post, I was able to check other cars with the same problem. The torque arm adaptor bracket top bolt hits the floor in front and oil fill cap rubs the fuel tank in the back. If the torque arm was the only problem I could deal with it. I'm working on making the rear fit into my car and I will post before and after pictures of the mods, with detailed info about what I did, when I am done, then you can decide if this was a legitimate problem or not. I'm shocked that more people aren't having the same problems. thanks for the replies

man I have the exact same set up as you and mine fit perfect, where are you mounting the TQ arm at?

black
    99 Trans am WS6

trans tail shaft

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've always read to fit the Moser 9' you need to do a BFH mod. I hear the new Moser M9 fits better tho as it has a completely different torque arm set up. I'm interested to hear if Mr. Luos had issues with his.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by transampete View Post
    I just bought a Moser 9" for my 99 ta convertible and I have a few problems with the way it fits into my car. It came with a fill plug and it's rubbing on the plastic fuel tank. The most logical fix would be to adjust the trailing arms shorter to move the rear more foward in the car but the torque arm hits in the drive shaft tunnel and the adaptor bracket for the torque arm also hits the floor. I've contacted moser several times about this and it seems like they don't want to do anything about it. They claim that they have made hundreds of these rears and that I'm the first to complain about it. So I decided to check some other cars that had the same rear and I found that the rear was hitting in the same locations, except they didn't have filler caps, rubbing holes in their fuel tanks but, I could tell that the fuel tank had made contact with the rear. The last call to moser I made, I was told that the owner of moser had an f-body convertible like mine and he had no such problem. I'm sorry but I just don't believe it and I'm mad as hell. Can anyone help me before I make the car fit the rear? Thanks pete.
    I have never had this problem at our shop with the optional fill plug rubbing on the gas tank. A lot of these cars came from the factory with the rear positioned .5" too far back in the wheelwell. This becomes very noticeable when you go to install larger 28 tall tires on one of these cars. Measure from the front of the wheelwell to the center of the rearend, and from the rear of the wheelwell to the center of the rearend, and see if the rear isn't back too far. If it is, you will need adjustable lower control arms in order to be able to move it forward. Bob

black
    99 Trans am WS6

OK if I move the rear foward in the car then the top bolt of the torque arm bracket hits the floor and torque arm clearance in front gets even tighter. I worked on this car this weekend and this is what I found out, A BFH was my freind to help clear the floor pan. I removed about 3/4" off the stand-offs for the torque-arm bracket, clearanced the torque-arm bracket as well,removed about 1/4" off the filler bung and trimmed the cap,and readjusted the trailing arms about 3/8" foward.I also removed the lock nut on the top rod end and threaded it all the way down, and readjusted the torque-arm. to test if all my work was good I put 600 lbs. of weight in the trunk to compress the springs and check for clearances. I should also mention that I trimmed off 1/2 a coil off the rear springs so that the car was back to factory height. Road tested the car last night and the car feels great. Heres what I know, the fill cap is in a dumb location, if Moser moved it off the ring gear hump and and onto the flat part of the pumkin then most of the problem would have been elimitated,also because of the way a Ford 9" is set up the need for a removable torque-arm bracket is neccessary but the way moser designed this one it moves the torque-arm too far foward in the car and too far right as well. I'm not going to tell anyone not to buy a moser 9" but if you do make sure that you order it without the fill plug, and be prepared to clear the floor of your car to fit it in. more info with pics to come soon.
    Last edited by transampete; 09-02-2008 at 07:09 AM.

Black
    99 SS

dude that sucks so bad man, as easily as mine went in yours sucked ass. my TQ arm was mounted to the crossbrace which was mounted to the SFC's. would love to see the pictures.

black
    99 Trans am WS6

Here is a copy of a email I received from Moser.

Pete,

In regards to your rear end I want to help you with this problem and I believe I know what your exact problem is. I just want to know a few things first so I can be correct on my assumption. I had a similar problem with another customer and it was an easy fix, we did have to get the rear end back however. Have you lowered your car at all? Also, you say the fill hole is hitting your plastic tank, if the neck on the fill hole was shaved down to nearly flush do you think that would solve the problem? What our other tech was telling you are true, we do test fit these under our cars but ours had a steel gas tank. The only other time we have had this problem was with a trans-am that had a plastic tank. Which his problem was solved by us trimming that fill neck down. That is why I am asking you these questions. So we can eliminate any other problems and make sure this would solve your problem.

Thank You,

Ron Mowrer

Sales Technician

rmowrer@moserengineering.com

102 Performance Drive

Portland, IN 47371

260.726.4159 (fax)

www.moserengineering.com.
    Last edited by transampete; 09-02-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Thread Information