Mini-spool or Trac Loc

This is a discussion on Mini-spool or Trac Loc within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm doing some budgeting for a future rear end swap. My car is M6, factory gears, and full bolt ons ...

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Mini-spool or Trac Loc

I'm doing some budgeting for a future rear end swap. My car is M6, factory gears, and full bolt ons with td's. I'm saving up for either head/cam swap or nitrous, and no matter what, a new rear to hold the power without any worries. I'm either going with a Moser 9" or a 9" from QuickPerformance, but my question is, can I save some money and get a mini-spool, or do I need something like the trac loc, or torsen differential.

I understand how the latter 2 work, I just don't undertand how a mini-spool works and if it would be ok for a mostly street driven car that sees 5k miles a yr (non daily driver)?

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    I'm doing some budgeting for a future rear end swap. My car is M6, factory gears, and full bolt ons with td's. I'm saving up for either head/cam swap or nitrous, and no matter what, a new rear to hold the power without any worries. I'm either going with a Moser 9" or a 9" from QuickPerformance, but my question is, can I save some money and get a mini-spool, or do I need something like the trac loc, or torsen differential.

I understand how the latter 2 work, I just don't undertand how a mini-spool works and if it would be ok for a mostly street driven car that sees 5k miles a yr (non daily driver)?

limited slip is best for street but expensive. Mini spool is not safe for street use only for like dirt circle track if your going to use spool go with lightweight full size spool which basically locks rear tires together. I've run like that on street but your tires will chirp when you turn low speeds and rear will lift some under moderate speed turning. It sure does launch with spool though!

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    limited slip is best for street but expensive. Mini spool is not safe for street use only for like dirt circle track if your going to use spool go with lightweight full size spool which basically locks rear tires together. I've run like that on street but your tires will chirp when you turn low speeds and rear will lift some under moderate speed turning. It sure does launch with spool though!
    Ahh, thank you! My uncle used to have a le-mans with a full spool and said the same thing about low speed turns and the tires chirping. I dunno how much of a pia that'd be...Anyone have one I could test drive

Pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

The dana 60 with posi is a very good rear end. I'm about to put it in my car pretty soon since my rear end gave way. I just haven't decided on the gear set I want. The only negative thing I've hear is that the whine, but that pretty much goes with all gears as the set a wear pattern.

Thread Information