Thread: M6 swap?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 R.I.P.

M6 swap?

I have an A4 right now, would it ever be worth it to switch that out for a M6? I wanted a M6 when I got this car, but it wasn't available any more. has anyone ever done this? Is it a freaking pain. I'm not exactly a gear head but I wouldn't want to take it into somewhere. thanks for your input.

white
    2002 z28

its a lot of work expesially for someone who dont know cars. if you buy the lastest "gm hi performance " mag they have a step by step write upp on it. i think it cost $4-5000 just in parts and they did all the labor. soo add like another 2500 for that. it can be done and lots have done it but if you want your car to be a bettter and faster car for the strip or even street i would be a stall convertor and it will take .50-.75 off your 1/4 mile making it faster and more consistent for only $950. but if you want to shift your own gears i guess your going to have to spend some coin

Black

screw it, I ain't got that kind of cash. how long does it take to install a stall converter?

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Sell your car and buy an M6 car.

Black

yeah right. I haven't kept this one for 5 years pretty much barned all the time just to turn around and sell it for something some dunce has broke down and probably needs fixed. It's just now rolled over to 21k on the odometer.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I will tell you.....I converted my car to a M6 and to this day I wish I had just left it alone.........while it's fun to drive I just wish I had kept it A4.....GM High Performance Magazine just did an article on this very subject....might want to check it out....but if it was me......leave it....put the money in beefing up your 4l60........

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

threre is a cheap way to do it, go to local SALVAGE yards till you find a z or a ss m6, buy the car for $1000-$2000, take the tranny out and all other parts you need and sell off other random parts you dont need........my buddy wants to do a ls1/m6 swap into his lt1/a4 z28, everytime he drives my car, he just DROOLS over that 6speed. Im glad i waited till i found a m6 car lol id still be kicking myself.

Black

yeah. I kick myself every once in awhile. the shifts are pretty good cause the diablo tune, but who knows how long it will hold up to that. What's a descent way to strengthen the Tranny I have? or will I need a new model?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

You can usually get it rebuilt with much better parts such as clutches/ steels/billet servos/ beast sunshell etc. Then add a stall. Time to install the converter will directly relate to your familiarity with the underside, tools on hand etc. R&R of mine was probably about 6 hours total maybe a tad less.

Black

Thanks for the good info guys!

white
    2002 z28

look into stall convvertors web sites get all the info. its a huge gain for how cheap in much money it cost. just remember it will take a min half sec of your 1/4 mile

Thread Information