Black
    2002 Trans Am

Limited Slip Not Working?

I have an 02 WS6. Although I don't drive it during the winter, I wanted to move it out of the driveway to remove the snow from around it. I got stuck in the snow, and only the passenger side wheel spun and the driver side didn't do anything. Does anybody know why this could be?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

You have a torsen diff. It will do that.

If you apply slight braking the torque sensing will engage the other axle. This is the draw back of the Zexel. Unlike the clutch type, the geared interlocking of the axles must have some resistance on both wheels to engage. The Zexel is a performance differential that works very well on pavement but as you found out, when there is near zero resistance on either side, you are as dead in the snow as if you had an open differential.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
    I have an 02 WS6. Although I don't drive it during the winter, I wanted to move it out of the driveway to remove the snow from around it. I got stuck in the snow, and only the passenger side wheel spun and the driver side didn't do anything. Does anybody know why this could be?
    Welcome to that graet GM feeling. It was one of there better idea's!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1 View Post
    if its the torsen carrier its broken,i had the same problem 3 years ago.Dealer replaced the carrier,the gear shafts inside the torsen unit break causing one wheel only to drive.another way to test the torsen is in the rain,if its broken it will one wheel in the rain also.since mine was replaced it turns both wheels in the snow and rain.don't let anyone bs you about it.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Welcome to that graet GM feeling. It was one of there better idea's!!!
    How is it GM's fault?? The Torsen diff is made by Zexel, and its designed to work that way. If one wheel has no traction, the unit can't function as a limited slip. One wheel must have at least some traction in order for power to be transferred to the other wheel. Plenty of cars have Torsen style differentials, its not only F-Bodies.

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

its broken! the stock carrier breaks very easily.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    How is it GM's fault?? The Torsen diff is made by Zexel, and its designed to work that way. If one wheel has no traction, the unit can't function as a limited slip. One wheel must have at least some traction in order for power to be transferred to the other wheel. Plenty of cars have Torsen style differentials, its not only F-Bodies.
    Becuase they decided to use it in their production line. That would be why.
    Put some sticky tires and a couple of holeshots and bye bye. So they get swaped quick in my cars anyways.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Becuase they decided to use it in their production line. That would be why.
    Put some sticky tires and a couple of holeshots and bye bye. So they get swaped quick in my cars anyways.
    So using a Torsen-style differential, made by a reputable company that makes high quality parts (Zexel) is a terrible decision on GM's part. And when something goes wrong, its GM's fault, not the manufacturer. Some people are ridiculous...

Impounded

Red
    99 TA

So using a Torsen-style differential, made by a reputable company that makes high quality parts (Zexel) is a terrible decision on GM's part. And when something goes wrong, its GM's fault, not the manufacturer. Some people are ridiculous...
    geez you sure criticize everyone.from reading your replies you sure have a hell of alot to learn.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yeah some are!!!!

And some are fast!!!!

Hey GM called they want there back.......

Yes

Thread Information