white
    98 z28

knocking noise from rear

i recently installed some moser axles and ever since hav recieved a knocking noise when axles are loading and unloading jacked up car and found right axle had twice as much in and out movement than left called moser tech support and said to switch axles from side to side did and excessive in and out movement moved to the left side measured buuton thickness on each axle have about .008 of an inch diference moser said normal but i don't agree any suggestions or comments

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

You know what, I noticed a knocking noise after installing my Moser axles. Still havent found the remedy. It only does it when I turn left and witht the clutch in. So when it is loaded it doesn't do it. If you swap sides let me know if this helps!
    99 pewter Z28 M6, SS hood, 10 spokes, Brembo rotors, lid, K&N, Ripper, CAGS, Pacesetter LT's, Borla, TSP ORY-pipe, O2 simulators, STB, SFC's, free mods. Cant forget about my hot fiance in the passenger seat!

Quote Originally Posted by 350lsi
    i recently installed some moser axles and ever since hav recieved a knocking noise when axles are loading and unloading jacked up car and found right axle had twice as much in and out movement than left called moser tech support and said to switch axles from side to side did and excessive in and out movement moved to the left side measured buuton thickness on each axle have about .008 of an inch diference moser said normal but i don't agree any suggestions or comments
    whats more important at this point is how much end play is there with the axles installed.use a dial indicator and measure the end play.i can tell you from past experiance that usually when there is excessive axle end play the carrier is worn badly.acceptable end play is under .128,but i have seen .250+ in some.another problem can be that the c clips are worn.this can cause excessive end play.if the carrier cone clutches are worn into the case this will cause it also.i had a 88 gta ta that had .250 from the factory,noisey but we drove it 180k+ and never had any trouble.

white
    98 z28

more details

i have switched axles from side to side and the excessive play moved i also have brand new c- clips and a brand new eaton posi unit there is also no wear on the pin i havent measured endplay with it all assembled yet but i will and see what happens also what aresome other companies who make axles for f-bodies

Thread Information