Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just swapped to a 3.73

Hello everyone,

Just bought a 99 Trans am off my brother inlaw as my daily driver a few weeks ago. He had a 3.73 diff sitting around that he never got around to installing. So yesterday I got around to installing it. My question is, do I have to tune the car in anyway when swapping diff's?

Thanks for the help and glad to finally be a part of the LS community.

Tony

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You'll need to have the speedometer calibrated so your mph isn't off. Other than that you are good to go.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You'll need to have the speedometer calibrated so your mph isn't off. Other than that you are good to go.
    Great to know!! Thank you

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Is your car manual or auto?

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Is your car manual or auto?
    Auto unfortunately

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nothing wrong with an A4. You'll dust a 6 speed off the line almost every time unless they happen to hit that small sweet spot between a bog and tire spin.

Just swapped to a 3.73

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Nothing wrong with an A4. You'll dust a 6 speed off the line almost every time unless they happen to hit that small sweet spot between a bog and tire spin.

I know, But all my cars have been manual. My BRZ is a 6 speed and this is my first automatic car. I love it none the less.
    Last edited by 08STiguy; 03-15-2015 at 06:11 AM.

You'll like it. Put a stall in it and you'll LOVE it. Auto is the way to go in these cars. Never was that much of a T56 fan. Now a Jerico or old school crash box is another story

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 08STiguy View Post
    Auto unfortunately
    I think you'd certainly need a tune in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Auto is the way to go in these cars. Never was that much of a T56 fan.
    Heresy!

Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

I think you'd certainly need a tune in this case.

Heresy!

Hahahha I'll look into it. I just got done installing and replacing all the bushing with polyurethane bushings from Summit racing and upgraded struts and springs. Taking it to get an alignment tomorrow. I'm hella excited to start driving it. I'm in south central LA. I may take it to my local tuner just for the hell of it. Better safe then sorry. Thank you all for the positive feedback. I need to start a build thread. Lots done already and still more to come for this bad boy

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'm from L.A. originally. West side and SF Valley, mostly.

I miss the awesome roads out there (which are hard to enjoy in all the traffic, though). You're pobably better off with an auto out there on I-10, LOL!

I'm from L.A. originally. West side and SF Valley, mostly.

I miss the awesome roads out there (which are hard to enjoy in all the traffic, though). You're pobably better off with an auto out there on I-10, LOL!
    That's for sure man. I used to work at the smart and final in Pacoima and Van Nuys so I'm familiar with the area. I hate traffic and manuals. As of now I work at the one in Montebello. So now the drive isn't that bad. With my current schedule I never hit traffic

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I used to work in Monterey Park. Had to make the drive from CSUN all the way down there a couple times a week. I made my own schedule for the most part, though. So I did whatever I could to make that drive after 10 pm. It took so long to get home that I sometimes, just for the heck of it, would go the long way: 60 --> I-10 --> PCH --> Malibu Cyn --> 101 --> 405. A much nicer drive with scenery and fresh-smelling air (and fun twisty roads to drive)

I used to work in Monterey Park. Had to make the drive from CSUN all the way down there a couple times a week. I made my own schedule for the most part, though. So I did whatever I could to make that drive after 10 pm. It took so long to get home that I sometimes, just for the heck of it, would go the long way: 60 --> I-10 --> PCH --> Malibu Cyn --> 101 --> 405. A much nicer drive with scenery and fresh-smelling air (and fun twisty roads to drive)
    Oh hell yeah!! But with the LA traffic it's hard to enjoy the drive. I have to see if there is any meets around town. I would definitely like to hit up something other then Subaru meets. No offense to my Subaru brethren,but something different would be nice.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

<---- Native Angeleno, born and raised in Gardena.

The way I heard it put is that a manual tranmission is for impressing high school kids and an auto transmission wins races.

That said my 02 is an A4 (see sig for former mods) and my Corvette is an MN6...

08STiguy, whereabouts do you live in South Central?
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-16-2015 at 09:00 AM.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    <---- Native Angeleno, born and raised in Gardena.

The way I heard it put is that a manual trannmission is for impressing high school kids and an auto trannsmission wins races.

That said my 02 is an A4 (see sig for former mods) and my Corvette is an MN6...

08STiguy, whereabouts do you live in South Central?
    Very true. I'm 32 and have no need to impress girls, except my wife of course haha. I'm glade to hear that the A4 is they way to go. I was going to save up the cash and do a 6speed swap but not anymore. I can now use that cash to put in some power mods.

Quote Originally Posted by 08STiguy View Post
    Very true. I'm 32 and have no need to impress girls, except my wife of course haha. I'm glade to hear that the A4 is they way to go. I was going to save up the cash and do a 6speed swap but not anymore. I can now use that cash to put in some power mods.
    Smart man. Unless you have a T56 that shifts butter smooth and your name is Ronnie Sox, then you'll get waxed every time with a good running auto. Last I checked, Ronnie Sox is gone, and I haven't seen a slick shifting T56 unless it's had $1,000's spent on it.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Don't bother drag racing my 6 speed it's more set up as a road carver any ways. More fun driving up in the mountains on a nice sunny day for hours then just doing 1/4 mile passes imo at least.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

T56 is a good cruiser trans, good mileage, fun at times, etc... Definately what you want on a road course, so it has it's advantages.

Most of us old schoolers aren't into the twisty stuff, if I were, I'd likely start with a different type of car anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Don't bother drag racing my 6 speed it's more set up as a road carver any ways. More fun driving up in the mountains on a nice sunny day for hours then just doing 1/4 mile passes imo at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    T56 is a good cruiser trans, good mileage, fun at times, etc... Definately what you want on a road course, so it has it's advantages.

Most of us old schoolers aren't into the twisty stuff, if I were, I'd likely start with a different type of car anyway.
    I agree. The firebird is just my daily. While we're on the subject of tracking. Any of you guys go to willow springs?

Thread Information