Just put on the hurst short shifter

This is a discussion on Just put on the hurst short shifter within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Well i have to admit the throws are way shorter then before and comparing being in 2nd gear and hitting ...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Just put on the hurst short shifter

Well i have to admit the throws are way shorter then before and comparing being in 2nd gear and hitting the console and now atleast 1 1/2-2 inches away from it and now im able to fully lower my shift knob were before i couldnt because it would seriously bang against the console bad. The only complaint i have is its extremely notchy and gotta work putting it into gear, especially noticable when tranny oil is cold. I also want to mention i have a short stick that ive made even shorter thats on the hurst.

I do see why people say they miss going into 3rd gear though. I didnt notice it being that notchy and stiff in my 01 SS factory hurst short shifter equiped but i did miss 3rd a few times with that. Overall i think its a good in the way it makes the shifts shorter but factory felt better and easier to live with. Ill still keep this and maybe ill get use to it.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Putting a short stick on makes it harder to shift because your taking away the leverage effect of the longer stick.
    If you have the Hurst Billet Plus you can remove 2 of the 4 centering springs.
    This loosens up the movement and makes it easier to shift.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Mine is the factory shifter, i got it off another member. It doesnt have the hurst logo on it. It had this rubber on the ball at the bottom of the shifter. It almost works like a spring effect although im not an expert at all on shifters. Your right, i think the short stick is taking away that leverage like the longer the wrench easier it is to tighten or loosen a bolt, probably has same effect. I guess it will make it even worse that i made the short stick even shorter buy cutting some thread off it.

Thread Information