Arctic white and CEYellow
    99 WS-6 & 02 CE WS-6

Its been asked a thousand times but.....

what is the most durable and best convertor, for a daily driven, bone stock other than a lid, and with a 373 gear ram air 99 ta. i dont want to be screwing with this car a bunch, it was my moms who recently passed, and i want to keep this thing real nice not a cobbled up junk box.

im thinking like 2800-3200 stall, what vendor, and should i run another cooler.

also who is the best gear company, i want to run a 3:73 in an other wise stock rearend.

this car might get a set of long tubes and cat back, other than that it is as far as it will go. my mom would be killing me if i went any further.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again.

also any tips when im laying on a garage floor pulling this trans. like snags that are common,

any special tools i might need.

what should i do about supporting the rear of the motor, the trans will be out for about a month.

black/red/black
    69 Camaro 69&85 Vettes

I have a TCI in my 69 LS1 Camaro with either a 2,800 or 2,900 (I can't remember right now). It works great. I also have SLP stage III heads/cam, long tubes, and 3.5 gears in a ford 9" out back. Very smooth, very easy in traffic, and plenty of fun when I punch it.

I also have a Transgo shift kit that does wonders for the A4 with full manual valve body on command.

I have a huge on large aftermarket radiator in the car but had to run an external aftermarket trans cooler because there was no provision in my radiator. I don't have a temp gauge on the trans, but have not experienced any problems.

White
    98 Trans AM

I dare say all will have their own opinion of which TC is best but there are several good ones. I currently also use a TCI stall and love it. I have used Yank also. Fuddle and Vigilante convertors are also very good. I would say though don't get any stall less than 3000 or 10 to 1 you will want to go higher later. I do know Vigilante and I think most others will do one free re stalling for you but of course you have to take it out and ship it back but I still would say start at 3000 on the convertor.

Definately get a trans cooler when you run a higher stall convertor. They are fairly inexpensive and can really help cool things off in the trans.

69MyWay also mentioned a good idea while you are in the transmission and that is a shift kit. Go ahead and get one of the higher level TransGo kits. Again relatively easy to put in and the difference is great.

Sorry about your mom my friend. Best wishes for the new year for you and good luck with the car!
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Arctic white and CEYellow
    99 WS-6 & 02 CE WS-6

thanks for the info guys, i thing im going with a yank 3200 with a auxiliary cooler, the trans is going to be done by a friend who engineers trans fixes for gm so he deff knows what hes doing, and im thinking a us gear or motive gear 373 other than that i cant decide on a gmmg chambered or a b&b cat back.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

tci streetfighter 3000 in my car and love it.
    in 3 other cars i owned i also had tci and never had problems
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

TCI 3800 in mine, perfectly streetable. I run a tranny cooler and shift kit as well. I can't emphasize how important it is to run the tranny cooler, heat kills auto trannies fast. I have a Trans go shift kit just 69myway and love it.
    I agree with everything everyone else has said so far and wouldn't run lower than a 3000 stall either.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Thread Information