Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

installed Ram clutch and centerforce aluminum flywheel

I just installed a Ram clutch and centerforce aluminum flywheel in my 98 camaro and it feels awesome. I was using spec for me and my customers before but decided to give ram a try and am very happy with the pedal feel. It engages more on the higher side of the pedal instead of too low and it has a nice stockish feel to it just a little stiffer and stronger engagment. I stand by spec but without an upgraded adjustable master and the correct shimming the spec doesnt work very well with stock hydraulics. Anyone else running ram on here? Btw im running stock hydraulics and no shim and it works perfect. Also the aluminum flywheel is so much lighter I can actually feel it in the initial throttle response!

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

So i will be looking for a new clutch soo and was curious, i had the spec 3+ in it at one time and it lasted 4-5k and burnt up completley, anywho i think it was installer not shimming it right and what not since then, i upgraded to a tick master and new slave, i personnely like the stiffer pedal? i was thinking of either ram or mcleoud

Owning a 9 sec ricer is like coming out of the closest: at first you'll surprise everyone, but in the end you're still gay

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by devildogws6 View Post
    So i will be looking for a new clutch soo and was curious, i had the spec 3+ in it at one time and it lasted 4-5k and burnt up completley, anywho i think it was installer not shimming it right and what not since then, i upgraded to a tick master and new slave, i personnely like the stiffer pedal? i was thinking of either ram or mcleoud
    Yea if the spec is shimmed to thick the pressure plate wont clamp down all the way and cause slippage and burn it up. Shimmed to thin and it will no disengage all the way between shifts and hurt the trans. On of my customers T/A I had to pull trans 3 times to get it shimmed right and had to put a new slave and put a tilton adjustable master before the spec would actually work right, I learned alot about setting them up but it was a pain in the butt and expensive for my customer so decided to change to ram now. I would recommend the ram HD. I had a mcleod twin before in a different car that was baddass but was like 1200!!

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

An no disrespect to spec I have always liked them and sold them to my customers, but its safe to say for most people the ram is gona be easier to set up and more streetable and less expensive if you cant afford a billet adjustable master and nice slave to work with it. Also the ram should hold really good power. To specs credit they do recommend using an adjustable master with there product so its no surprise when it wont work right with a stock style master. Also the ram kit came with reference measurements just in case shimming is necesary depending on setup with is convenient to save trial and error shimming.
    Texas speed also said they had some problems with spec and were using ram, correct me if im wrong. Ill let yall know how my ram holds up when I spray the juice HAHA after its broke in. I think most people have had good experience with them.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I always loved spec though for how hard they hit when engaging between shifts!!! feels like a roller coaster in your stomach in the right car when setup right.

sunset orange metallic
    01 trans am

doesnt spec come already with the necessary shim? I bought one for my TA

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have 12K miles on my Spec Stage 3+ and am running the stock GM MC and stock 02 slave cylinder. About 1000 of the 12,000 miles are with the Procharger.

The only real slight issue I'm now seeing is it feels as though the clutch isn't fully disengaging at WOT into 3rd gear. I am probably going to get a Tick MC before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have 12K miles on my Spec Stage 3+ and am running the stock GM MC and stock 02 slave cylinder. About 1000 of the 12,000 miles are with the Procharger.

The only real slight issue I'm now seeing is it feels as though the clutch isn't fully disengaging at WOT into 3rd gear. I am probably going to get a Tick MC before too long.
    Yep, you are going to need that adjustable master. I had to install one on the wifeys car, she just wouldn't drive it anymore until then. It engaged right off the floor, hard to shift, or even drive. Adjustable master fixed all that. These cars should have come with one in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by BlwnCamaro View Post
    I just installed a Ram clutch and centerforce aluminum flywheel in my 98 camaro and it feels awesome. I was using spec for me and my customers before but decided to give ram a try and am very happy with the pedal feel. It engages more on the higher side of the pedal instead of too low and it has a nice stockish feel to it just a little stiffer and stronger engagment. I stand by spec but without an upgraded adjustable master and the correct shimming the spec doesnt work very well with stock hydraulics. Anyone else running ram on here? Btw im running stock hydraulics and no shim and it works perfect. Also the aluminum flywheel is so much lighter I can actually feel it in the initial throttle response!
    I used a Ram setup on one of my other 6 speed 4th gens and also used the lightweight aluminum flywheel, identical to your setup. I used the stock hydraulics as well and it worked beautiful, very easy to power shift.

I've always used either Ram, Hays, or Centerforce for the last 30+ years on classic cars and have always had excellent results, so I've never been inclinded to jump onto the bandwagon of all these new clutch manufactures like Spec, Monster etc.....when the others have treated me excellent. So I have no problem using any of them on a newer 4th gen either.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

How many hours am I looking at to swap out that MC? Doesn't look easy to get to behind the power steering pump. Just curious.

It's a bit of a job, easier for people with small hands. If I remember right, the nuts are under the dash, then the studded bracket pulls out from the firewall on the engine compartment side.
    It comes apart easy, the real trick is trying to get that bracket back into the firewall. What I did to make the job a little easier, since the studs are a very tight fit through the firewall, is take a slightly larger drill bit and enlarge the holes. Made sliding the bracket in alot easier. Then it doesn't have to slide back in perfectly straight to get it started, and gives you a little wiggle room.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks for the suggestion.

You are more than welcome. Hope it makes sense. You'll see what I mean when you dig into it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If not before the end of this season, I plan on making this upgrade over the winter months for sure. Still paying off other car mods so money is a little tighter than usual right now

I can understand that, it's never ending isn't it?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

One would think after what I have into mine I'd be done , but I still want a brake upgrade, the Tick MC, a dedicated set of track wheels/tires and possibly a k-member. I thought about rear and front sway bars also. I know at some point though, even with only 22K miles on the odometer, that the car will need some things replaced at some point going on 10 yrs old. oh, tires are also on the list also

Thread Information