Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

I think I am ready.... help is appreciated

This is a discussion on I think I am ready.... help is appreciated within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So i came into some cash.... enough to finish the rear of my car and leave only 1 piece of ...

  1. #1
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    I think I am ready.... help is appreciated

    So i came into some cash.... enough to finish the rear of my car and leave only 1 piece of my drivetrain in stock form.

    I already have:

    springs, shocks, drag bags, lower control arms, clutch, flywheel, master cylinder, poly trans mount, solid motor mounts.

    I would like to install:

    Short shifter, 9" rear with 4.11s, watts link, torque arm, driveshaft, crossmember, safety loop.

    maybe sway bars if i'm feeling generous.

    Can the above be done for about 5k?

    With those parts i'll only have the stock T56 left between my engine and contact patches. That means i'd finally be ready for power adding mods.

    fays2 is the only company making watts links that i know of so that's like 650 right there.

    so what can i do on the rest of those things? best place for a 9"? anyone selling this stuff as like a package? OH!! i'm also thinking of going with a wavetrac.

    So what do we all think???

  2. #2
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    well look at close to 4k when everything is over on the 9"

    depending on where you go..some places will have their custom torque arm set up with them..midwest chassis is one i can think of right off hand..also tho that is for their custom fabbed 9" ....i dont think you need a new driveshaft either...not for your power levels yet..also i think for the 9" you just need to get a different yoke
    the watts link..well that is what it is...i know there is a member on here that made his own and a few more for some members...should be cheaper...i think his name was dbrowing or something...ask third shift studio what his name is.

    i think when all is said and done ..you will be able to get the stuff for under 5k ..minus the DS and possibly getting a T/A with the rear.......id go sway bars over driveshaft if i were you.

  3. #3
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Depends on where you get the rear. A "standard" Strange rear vs. a fabricated one like the MidWest Chassis or the Moser M9 will differ in price and options. The MWC will include the TA, DS Loop, crossmember. Plan around $4k if that's the route you plan on going. Shady's right about the DS- the 9" is a little further away from the tran than the stock rear is. You can pull the yoke out a bit and use the stock DS with a U-joint adapter. I went ahead and got a DS just because I didn't like the idea of having less of the yoke in the tail housing and putting stress on a part that was weak in the first place.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

  4. #4
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    2000 hawk #0041 i'd like to introduce you to 2000 hawk #0036

    Aetos suggested that I get a MWC 9" as well. he said that indeed they do make watts links and would provide the TA, loop and crossmember. that's a pretty complete package indeed. I'm starting to think I may need to call them and price a setup.

    Perhaps the next big Q is.... do i want a trans mounted TA or a crossmember mounted one or the short tunnel brace mounted TA..... I would like a beefier tunnel brace anyway seeing as i have 3 point SFC's so tying that all together with something better than stamped steel was on my list to begin with.

    It seems like most relocate the TA off the trans but that many have issues with clearance when doing a crossmember mount. do the same issues exist with the tunnel mounted torque arm? Or am i making up these shorter tunnel TAs?

    Also... I wonder if MWC would be able to get their hands on the wavetrac. I'd like to be able to Autox and drag the car and it seems the wavetrac is equally suited to both as well as being quiet and civil on the street. $$$ yeah but seems to be a quality piece.

  5. #5
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    2000 hawk #0041 i'd like to introduce you to 2000 hawk #0036

    Aetos suggested that I get a MWC 9" as well. he said that indeed they do make watts links and would provide the TA, loop and crossmember. that's a pretty complete package indeed. I'm starting to think I may need to call them and price a setup.

    Perhaps the next big Q is.... do i want a trans mounted TA or a crossmember mounted one or the short tunnel brace mounted TA..... I would like a beefier tunnel brace anyway seeing as i have 3 point SFC's so tying that all together with something better than stamped steel was on my list to begin with.

    It seems like most relocate the TA off the trans but that many have issues with clearance when doing a crossmember mount. do the same issues exist with the tunnel mounted torque arm? Or am i making up these shorter tunnel TAs?

    Also... I wonder if MWC would be able to get their hands on the wavetrac. I'd like to be able to Autox and drag the car and it seems the wavetrac is equally suited to both as well as being quiet and civil on the street. $$$ yeah but seems to be a quality piece.

    mwc supplies the torque arm as it is a custom made torque arm for that rear..i would think it would be a tunnel mount.

  6. #6
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    2000 hawk #0041 i'd like to introduce you to 2000 hawk #0036
    Good to meet you #0036! Best year for the 'Hawk- just my opinion, of course.

    The MWC rear comes with either tunnel or full length torque arm- full length comes with a new trans x-member but no DS Loop, tunnel mount has DS Loop. Both are custom and only work with their rear. They do have a Wavetrac setup, you'd have to check with them.

  7. #7
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    that's excellent information right there. exactly what i'm looking for. I think a tunnel mount would be best for my purposes since it comes with the loop and brace. a wavetrac setup would be awesome and i have heard of them making watts links.... seriously need to give them a call and see what they can do on a price.

    I happen to like the look of the cast 9" housings better than the welded steel housings but if the price is right, i've heard good things about them. It's also under the car amirite?

    and yeah 2000 was an excellent year. I love all the compliments i get on my ol' lumpy spoiler!!!

    FYI SLP build numbers peg my combo as a 1 of 10 build.

  8. #8
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    I am trying to get a group by on a MWC rear. They would be shipped to my work or house and we would all save in shipping and buying more than one. Time frame is jan/feb at the earliest pending people

  9. #9
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    JAN FEB!?!? I was thinking like getting this sucker installed by the mid/end of Sept for our Sept/Oct track shenanigans

    I imagine something like:

    So whatcha runnin?

    ME? i'm stock.... right down to the exhaust.

    Rip off some mid 12's


  10. #10
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Even though I put long tubes and an ORY, I kept the stock SLP dual/dual exhaust- sounds amazing stock and even better when you send a more flow through it!

    I couldn't agree more about the immediate need- my car is up on jack stands waiting for the rear end. Friggin' posi split in half- seriously, in half.

    SLP's numbers show mine as a 1 of 10 for Bright Red with a M6, T-tops and Ol' Lumpy, but it's actually a 1 of 1 because they put some random color decals on the doors that I've yet to match up. Instead of the normal Yellow and Orange logo on the Bright Red, mine Firehawk logos are Gold and Maroon.

  11. #11
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    yeah i couldn't match up ALL my options on the build number sheet. I am fairly certain that i am less than 1 of 10. I have the lube option I kinda like the stock exhaust sound. probably will be the last part of the system i change.

    Maybe we can get a small group together for a near future purchase. If you are ready i kinda am as well.. let's see if anyone else wants in and perhaps arrange a conference call or something.

  12. #12
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    JAN FEB!?!? I was thinking like getting this sucker installed by the mid/end of Sept for our Sept/Oct track shenanigans

    I imagine something like:

    So whatcha runnin?

    ME? i'm stock.... right down to the exhaust.

    Rip off some mid 12's

    Well I cant buy it that soon b/c of funds.

    Get h/c/i and bypass the 12's.

  13. #13
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I am trying to get a group by on a MWC rear. They would be shipped to my work or house and we would all save in shipping and buying more than one. Time frame is jan/feb at the earliest pending people
    that is when I plan on getting my rear!! I would love to go down on that with you but I just bought a umi TA recently and i don't want to pay for another one just to use a mwc rear. that would cancel out the benefit of the group deal discount for me.. now I wish I would of held off on the TA.....

  14. #14
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    that is when I plan on getting my rear!! I would love to go down on that with you but I just bought a umi TA recently and i don't want to pay for another one just to use a mwc rear. that would cancel out the benefit of the group deal discount for me.. now I wish I would of held off on the TA.....
    You can always sell the TA "slightly used" especially if the dicount on the rear is greater than what you'll lose by selling the TA. Just an idea...

  15. #15
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    You can always sell the TA "slightly used" especially if the dicount on the rear is greater than what you'll lose by selling the TA. Just an idea...
    I was thinking about that..... especialy since I have 3 point SFC's already.... the tunnel mount TA from MWC would be perfect... the only problem is that in the future I want to run TSP true duals, so a tunnel mount TA isn't an option

  16. #16
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Actually it is still an option. I think MWC has a tunnel brace for true duals.

  17. #17
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Actually it is still an option. I think MWC has a tunnel brace for true duals.
    They do I checked when I called.

  18. #18
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    They do I checked when I called.
    you asked specifically about the TSP duals? if that's true than I am down for sure. we wouldn't get any shipping discount tho because I live in CA.

    pm me some details about your plans and what I have to do.

  19. #19
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    wow this is starting to look like a real group purchase. is this 4 so far? we gotta hit up Aetos and see if he's in that'll make 5. I know he want's a MWC 9" since he's the one that told me about them. I know Spaz wants a rear but not sure he is in the market for one. just gotta start asking around. even with 5 people we're looking at a nearly 20k group order. that's a pretty nice chunk of business.

  20. #20
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Yeah, unfortunately I've already bought mine. I'm hoping it'll be here in two or three weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Fried my BCM- Any help appreciated!
    By bberretta in forum Stereo and Electronics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-05-2013, 04:39 AM
  2. Any help will be appreciated
    By UnderHisGrace in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
  3. Question: opinions appreciated
    By stang tired 1stTA in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. Your help and understanding appreciated
    By Sam Strano in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
  5. Here is what I want to see/any help appreciated
    By blackSS01 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 04:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •