Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I might need a new rear end

This is a discussion on I might need a new rear end within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by BashamWS6 Which is cheaper? well where can i find the best prices rather... mark im guessing? $2700 ...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Which is cheaper?
    well where can i find the best prices rather...
    mark im guessing?
    $2700 for basic package fro MWC
    The 12 bolt will be cheaper.

The best price I found was $2500

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Strange 12 bolt will be cheaper. Both are expensive though. Shop around is the best answer. You can search the classified sections on here and over on tech to try to pick up a used one if you have time to wait. They do become available....but they go quick when they do. Keep an eye out!!
    well idk what options to get...like the spline axels? should i get 31 or 33?
    or what bout other suspension, driveshaft, brake components, or narrow lower control arm brackets options?

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    The 12 bolt will be cheaper.

The best price I found was $2500
    and where would this be?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

well idk what options to get...like the spline axels? should i get 31 or 33?
    or what bout other suspension, driveshaft, brake components, or narrow lower control arm brackets options?
    If you buy new, the higher the spline count the stronger the axle will be. Go with the one that suits your needs. I have 31 spline as this was the largest I could get in my 9" set-up. Any larger was only available in the Detroit Lockers.

You want relocation brackets welded on for you.

Get a drain plug installed.

Painting is optional. I personally had mine painted because it looks 10X better. If not, and you are installing it yourself, you can save some coin and paint it yourself.

Gears you will have to decide for yourself and what you plan on doing with the car later on. Typically (again typically), people with A4 run 373 and people with M6 run 410/411.

Black

I didn't have mine painted. Can't see the rear, so I just painted it myself and saved $200.
    I was able to get my rear with 35 slpine, but I had to upgrade to the wavetrac.

Impounded
    so if i push 400HP or so...would 30 slpine be fine or go 33 for $65 more?
    heres a few...whatcha think?
    http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=313

Black

I would do it now. To change it later you would have to get a new carrier.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I would do it now. To change it later you would have to get a new carrier.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

What makes you think you need a new rear end? Is it just whining?

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Build it for what you're planning, not for what you have now. What's $65 now when it will cost hundreds to redo it later on? I wish I could have gone with the Wavetrac but I couldn't come off another $800. I went with a 31 with a posi- even that is significantly stronger than the stocker. I'm barely over stock and I don't plan any major upgrades for a while.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    What makes you think you need a new rear end? Is it just whining?
    well like i said i took my uncle for a ride and hes a mechanic and he said its about to go (the whine is now significantly louder than my stock exhaust and it has gotten louder in the past two weeks...)

so i figure why not drop a 12 bolt in there now and have it in the shop on a schedualed date rather than it giving out randomly and then getstuck with a busted T/A for a few weeks...

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    If you buy new, the higher the spline count the stronger the axle will be. Go with the one that suits your needs. I have 31 spline as this was the largest I could get in my 9" set-up. Any larger was only available in the Detroit Lockers.

You want relocation brackets welded on for you.

Get a drain plug installed.

Painting is optional. I personally had mine painted because it looks 10X better. If not, and you are installing it yourself, you can save some coin and paint it yourself.

Gears you will have to decide for yourself and what you plan on doing with the car later on. Typically (again typically), people with A4 run 373 and people with M6 run 410/411.
    -whats the purpose of a drain plug?

-we had a conversation about gears back in like June...but im still not so familiar with them or what they do (but im guessing it affects power/acceleration/gas mileage/driveablility/etc?)...i want driveability being my DD as of now...but i want a good compromise of power and gas mileage...this isnt a drag car...but you best believe that when any punk in a mustang gt pulls up next to me at a red light...i have every intention to smoke his ass

Bright Red

If you get a 12-bolt you can get an aluminum cover that has a drain plug. If you don't you have to take the cover loose in order to drain the fluid. It's really nice to have it. If you go with a 9" you'll want to add a fill plug so that it is easier to fill it.

Like I said before, I drove with my stock rear making a TON of noise for months. It was so loud that you couldn't talk on the phone on speaker phone because you couldn't hear the other person, nor could they hear you. I made the mistake of rebuilding the rear- now I'm replacing it. Go figure...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Cool

well like i said i took my uncle for a ride and hes a mechanic and he said its about to go (the whine is now significantly louder than my stock exhaust and it has gotten louder in the past two weeks...)

so i figure why not drop a 12 bolt in there now and have it in the shop on a schedualed date rather than it giving out randomly and then getstuck with a busted T/A for a few weeks...
    Gear whine does not mean it's going to break. Don't care what your uncle says. My Strange 12 bolt is really loud. I'm not going to buy another one. I beat on it at the track, still holds 6,500 rpm dumps on slicks. I could do a rebuild on it but it'd just do the same thing after some track time.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Also 4:11 gears will not effect your gas milaege at all. After going from 3:42s to 4:11s my gas milaege didn't drop even one whole mile per gallon. Don't let milaege effect your decision as to what gears you choose.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Also 4:11 gears will not effect your gas milaege at all. After going from 3:42s to 4:11s my gas milaege didn't drop even one whole mile per gallon. Don't let milaege effect your decision as to what gears you choose.
    is that all city driving. i went from 3.42s to 3.73s and noticed a big difference in gas mileage.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Nope. Were the gears the only mod you did at that time?

Bright Red

Gears will affect your mileage, it's just math. If the car consumes more fuel at higher RPMs, then changing a gear will increase the RPMs of the motor. For example, cruising speed with a 3.42 at 70mph, I was turning somewhere around 1300 RPMs. With a 3.73 it went up nearly 7% to around 1400. Not a big difference, but with a 4.11 that will increase is about 17% to around 1520. You'll see about a 10% drop in mileage, that's about all.

And yes, aftermarket gears can be loud (Richmond are notoriously loud), but the stock should not be. Whine is usually caused when the backlash is off and as gears wear the backlash can spread causing vibrations/noise. Whine isn't really an issue, it's when it starts roaring like a Mack truck is riding up your a$$, that's when you really get annoyed! Now, if there's slack in the rear, that's a whole 'nother issue! I knew mine was shot when I jacked it up and I could turn the driveshaft nearly an 1/8th of a turn before it engaged.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I didn't see anywhere near a %17 drop in my milaege. Alot of people that I think never actually done the gear swaps are the ones that post about gears affecting their milaege.

Impounded
    so then...what should i do to get my whine to stop?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information