Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have gear oil leaking onto the inner rims

This is a discussion on I have gear oil leaking onto the inner rims within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; omg dude your a life saver thank you!!!!!! i was losing my mind!!! i still cant believe i forked out ...

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

omg dude your a life saver thank you!!!!!! i was losing my mind!!! i still cant believe i forked out 3's+ for this f'n rear and im having problems within the first 1k miles. Can I ask what size axels you have? Also would the spline count change that diameter? b/c all I know is that mine are 35 spline axles to a Detroit locker(aluminum center section) w/ 4.11's
    Last edited by Eganslp; 03-10-2011 at 02:17 AM.
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Couple of things.
    The seals are not designed to be "submerged" in lube.
    The rear end fluid level should be just above (maybe a 1/2"-1") the bottom of the axle tubes.
    4 quarts flooded and submerged the seals. Your fault. Not Mosers. Sorry man.
    Take a tie wrap and bend it in a 90 degree angle and check your fluid level that way until you get to the level described above.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the Detroit TruTrac with 31 spline axles. You can contact Moser to get the axle seal part number. It is made by Chicago Rawhide (CR). I bought mine from Napa.

This is assuming it is indeed the axle seal and not just an issue because you put too much gear oil in it to begin with.

Also, to clear things up, I did not put any gear oil on the axle seal itself when installing it, just the axle. You put gear oil on the axle so you don't tear the axle seal (rubber) when sliding the seal over the axle.

If you look close at the axle seal, it is a dual seal. There are two separate "lips" on it for added sealing protection.

Again, tap it in as straight as possible. You don't want to hit it in the center at all when you are installing it or you will crush it. Tap it in until it seats up against the step inside the axle housing. It would be a good idea to measure how far in the existing one is so you know when it is fully seated on the new one!

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

thank you 35th I greatly appreciate this info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information