Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hubs (replacement)

This is a discussion on Hubs (replacement) within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yes, swapping hubs side to side is a good test. I feel where your Chevy mechanic is coming from. I've ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yes, swapping hubs side to side is a good test. I feel where your Chevy mechanic is coming from. I've had lots of bad experiences with aftermarket hubs but I've also had some good ones too.
    But if there is zero wheel speed input to the ABS computer, I suspect there is a wiring problem, like an open circuit.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks as Always Cutlass,

Unfortunately, wiring and electrical circuitry is one of my VERY WEAK areas of expertise.

Tom

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NastySS View Post
    Thanks as Always Cutlass,

Unfortunately, wiring and electrical circuitry is one of my VERY WEAK areas of expertise.

Tom
    yes if you swap the hub the code should follow if the hub's sensor is defective. Have you traced the wiring and looked for cuts or a pinched wire? Look at the connector for corrosion and make sure it works. I use Timken hubs and had great results so far.

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

Sorry to hear that you are have these isues.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Yes I have looked at all the wiring, and everything looks brand new, even the plug at the end...clean too.,,,,,no crud in there at all. I may have bought a Bad Hub....?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes I have looked at all the wiring, and everything looks brand new, even the plug at the end...clean too.,,,,,no crud in there at all. I may have bought a Bad Hub....?
    is possible but have you put the good hub in place of the bad one? You have one side that works fine correct? put that good hub where you are having the issue and see if it clears?

Also are you using a ABS code scanner to reset the light? If not then you have to drive the car for abit and the code will go away. The ABS computer needs to see the wheel moving.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks Jay,

I still have the HUB SWAP on my "To DO List", as a diagnostic tool. No, driving the car a great distance did not correct anything,,,and a GM Mechanic hooked up an ABS scanner after I put the new HUB on and the new HUB is giving out no readings at all.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks Jay,

I still have the HUB SWAP on my "To DO List", as a diagnostic tool. No, driving the car a great distance did not correct anything,,,and a GM Mechanic hooked up an ABS scanner after I put the new HUB on and the new HUB is giving out no readings at all.
    If the swap dont fix the problem then you could have a problem with the wiring or the ABS computer. The circuit for that wheel have gone bad.

Before you do this test disconnect the battery. I'm not sure what pins are the wire cables for that wheel at the ABS unit plug but if you can find them by color then unplug the plug at the wheel and the one at the ABS unit. Using an ohmmeter check for continuity by putting the test leads in either end and using a small jumper(piece of wire or screwdriver) in the other end. The meter should read close to zero and beep(if you have that function). This will tell you if the wiring harness that goes from the ABS unit to that wheel is in good shape. If you swap the good hub and you did the prior test but the code keeps poping then you have an issue with the ABS unti itself.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yep just hook it up across the 2 leads. Range is generally 800ish to 1300ish ohms
    have you measure this in the new hub as well?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

I do not "Yet" have an Ohm Meter, and unforunately electronics and electronic diagnosis is one weak area of expertise for me.

I am not even sure where the ABS computer is yet. Is it attached to the ABS unit that has the brake lines coming from it?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I do not "Yet" have an Ohm Meter, and unforunately electronics and electronic diagnosis is one weak area of expertise for me.

I am not even sure where the ABS computer is yet. Is it attached to the ABS unit that has the brake lines coming from it?
    I think so i think the whole unit has to do with the ABS stuff but im not 100% positive.

Most meter have some instaruction on how to use it. It's not that complicated. As long as you disconnect the battery you will not mess anything up. If you want to check the hub sensor just connect the tests lead to the meter. One goes to the black or negative side on the metter. The other one goes to the red port that is labeled for 12v and ohms. Move the selection knob to resistance or ohms and put one test lead to one of the pin in the sensor and the other test lead to the other pin. Make sure you dont touch the test leads with each other( it will give a false reading).

While holding them in place look at the screen and it you give you a value. Thats how much resistance or ohm that sensor has. Then compare to normal range.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks, I will pick one up as soon as I can, and give it a shot. After, I will come back here and let you now what I found out.

Thanks for all your help.....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Strange, I just got notified that "Cutlass" just updated this topic,,but there is no update I can see.....

Cutlass,,did you put a recent update here? Thanks,
    Tom

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes, then I deleted it because I was answering a question that I thought was directed at me, but was actually directed at you. I was sleepy and not paying attention

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Hi all and thanks all!,

The problem was a break in the wire that clips to the back of the HUB. I am leaving for vacation, and will write more when I get back. I never had a bad HUB/Speed Sensor.

Tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information