How to tell bad torque arm bushing?

This is a discussion on How to tell bad torque arm bushing? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was under my car today because ive been hearing light clunk while on the lightly stepping on the gas ...

black
    2000 ws6

How to tell bad torque arm bushing?

I was under my car today because ive been hearing light clunk while on the lightly stepping on the gas or letting off the gas. I was thinking it could possibly be the u-joints but could feel any play in there and dont really know how to see if theyre bad anyways?

The trans mount has been replaced with a poly because the stock one broke so i know its not that. I could wiggle the torque arm in the mount and good 1/8th of an inch up and down. I dont know how tight this is supposed to be and am wondering if it could be causing the sound? The bushing has a slit in it on the bottom right which looks kinda like it suposed to be there but is it?

Also i could feel very slight play in the output shaft of the tranny by pushing it up and down, is that normal?

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
    I was under my car today because ive been hearing light clunk while on the lightly stepping on the gas or letting off the gas. I was thinking it could possibly be the u-joints but could feel any play in there and dont really know how to see if theyre bad anyways?
    look for play where the + part of the u-joint goes into the cups that hold the needle bearings.

The trans mount has been replaced with a poly because the stock one broke so i know its not that. I could wiggle the torque arm in the mount and good 1/8th of an inch up and down. I dont know how tight this is supposed to be and am wondering if it could be causing the sound? The bushing has a slit in it on the bottom right which looks kinda like it suposed to be there but is it?
    1/8" is ok. not great. check the bolts that hold the torque arm to the rear. also, looks for cracks in that same area.

Also i could feel very slight play in the output shaft of the tranny by pushing it up and down, is that normal?
    yes, normal.

black
    2000 ws6

so whewn checking the ujoints should i look by turning it or push the driveshaft up and down? because i turned the driveshaft by hand and didnt notice any obvious play

thanks!

Thread Information