Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How to pick a rear?

This is a discussion on How to pick a rear? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by ntimid8r I helped a buddy install the midwest chassis 9" and wow...that thing is sweet. A little ...

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    I helped a buddy install the midwest chassis 9" and wow...that thing is sweet. A little more pricey than a 12 bolt but you get a much stronger (and lighter) unit.

I tried to check Midwest Chassis out and it appears their website is still under construction. The only pic I was able to pull up is a fab housing 9". That would be pretty wild, but like the Dana is probably complete overkill. Was your buddy's the fab housing, or do they have other products?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I have been searching/reading around a lot, and i will be going with the Fab 9" from MWC.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Mark is behind on his website PM or call him.

There is not many sway bars that will clear the mounting of the 9" torque arm. My BMR is resting on the back side actually. Moser said they notch the TQ Arm, I didnt feel comfortable notching that much. I trimmed it alittle and stopped.

Only complaint from my side on my Moser 12 bolt was that it whined from 55 MPH on up. The 9" now barely has any whine.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Mark is behind on his website PM or call him.

There is not many sway bars that will clear the mounting of the 9" torque arm. My BMR is resting on the back side actually. Moser said they notch the TQ Arm, I didnt feel comfortable notching that much. I trimmed it alittle and stopped.

Only complaint from my side on my Moser 12 bolt was that it whined from 55 MPH on up. The 9" now barely has any whine.

Sounds like everything bolted up ok then to the 12 bolt? There is that little part of me inside that just screams at the thought of Ford parts on my Pontiac... Is there an appreciable weight difference between the two? I know Carcraft had a great article on axles some time back, but I would probably not be able to find it now if I tried.

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I tried to check Midwest Chassis out and it appears their website is still under construction. The only pic I was able to pull up is a fab housing 9". That would be pretty wild, but like the Dana is probably complete overkill. Was your buddy's the fab housing, or do they have other products?
    Not sure what website you found but here's a link to what I know. Link Yes it's a fab'd 9" unit....which is what makes it better than a stock 9" housing (lighter and stronger). Is the 9" an overkill unit for most f-bodies? Yes. That's why I wrote originally that a 12 bolt will probably be the right choice for your car. I'm putting about 540 hp to the rear wheels through a Strange 12 bolt and have no issues what so ever. I don't drive my car much and take it to the track rarely. If I drove it alot and beat on it often....I'd go 9" for sure. Hope that helps.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not sure what website you found but here's a link to what I know. Link Yes it's a fab'd 9" unit....which is what makes it better than a stock 9" housing (lighter and stronger). Is the 9" an overkill unit for most f-bodies? Yes. That's why I wrote originally that a 12 bolt will probably be the right choice for your car. I'm putting about 540 hp to the rear wheels through a Strange 12 bolt and have no issues what so ever. I don't drive my car much and take it to the track rarely. If I drove it alot and beat on it often....I'd go 9" for sure. Hope that helps.

I must have been a little tired last night when I looked at that pic -- never noticed the big red letters about clicking here for specs and pricing. That is very cool. So if I go 12 bolt, is there any other company I should consider besides Strange and Moser?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Sounds like everything bolted up ok then to the 12 bolt? There is that little part of me inside that just screams at the thought of Ford parts on my Pontiac... Is there an appreciable weight difference between the two? I know Carcraft had a great article on axles some time back, but I would probably not be able to find it now if I tried.
    Yea, everything bolted up fine on the 12 bolt. I would still rather have my 9". There's things that make a 9" better for me. I go to the track weekly, drive the car very often and I do drive it hard every time. Who knows if the 12 bolt would have held up through this racing season, it failed because of a builder error. You cant go wrong with a 9" honestly. There are definitely sway bars that clear. If setup up properly, I don't see why a ABS/TCS setup wouldn't work without flaw. If you spend a little extra for the aluminum center section I believe the 9" is actually lighter then most 12 bolts. Obviously there is a small amount more of drivetrain loss with a 9".

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i would go with a strange 12 bolt if you do decide to go 12 bolt..as said before..the mounting for the T/A is sketchy .....personally...it is no question for me that you should go MWC fab'd 9 if you can afford it...it really is a wonderful piece and it will be my choice when that time comes..no questions asked ..that or the moser m9

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I must have been a little tired last night when I looked at that pic -- never noticed the big red letters about clicking here for specs and pricing. That is very cool. So if I go 12 bolt, is there any other company I should consider besides Strange and Moser?
    I kept checking that website to make sure something wasn't messed up. You must have been tired.

There was a Mark Williams version of a 12 bolt....I'll do a web check to see if still around...but other than that, Strange and Moser are the only two that I'm aware of in which make for 4th gen fbodies.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yea, everything bolted up fine on the 12 bolt. I would still rather have my 9". There's things that make a 9" better for me. I go to the track weekly, drive the car very often and I do drive it hard every time. Who knows if the 12 bolt would have held up through this racing season, it failed because of a builder error. You cant go wrong with a 9" honestly. There are definitely sway bars that clear. If setup up properly, I don't see why a ABS/TCS setup wouldn't work without flaw. If you spend a little extra for the aluminum center section I believe the 9" is actually lighter then most 12 bolts. Obviously there is a small amount more of drivetrain loss with a 9".

Any thoughts on who you would recommend purchasing a 12 bolt from?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i would go with a strange 12 bolt if you do decide to go 12 bolt..as said before..the mounting for the T/A is sketchy .....personally...it is no question for me that you should go MWC fab'd 9 if you can afford it...it really is a wonderful piece and it will be my choice when that time comes..no questions asked ..that or the moser m9

No doubt the 9" is the better piece. I wish MWC had their unit out when I was shopping. Again, my research at the time found Moser to be questionable on build quality. This was a couple years ago and I'll take Hi-Po word that they're improved now. But to me, after seeing the MWC unit up close, I would definitely get the MWC 9".

If anyone want's to buy my Strange 12 bolt.......

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This time around I will be using black seal/silicon around it to make sure I won't ever have to mess with it again.
    I think the RTV is in the instructions.
    If not in the Moser instructions, EVERY online guide says to use RTV.

I think they leak for anyone that doesn't use it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I think the RTV is in the instructions.
    If not in the Moser instructions, EVERY online guide says to use RTV.

I think they leak for anyone that doesn't use it.
    You are probably right Curtis. Everywhere I have read says use RTV on it. I did my homework after the problem started.

This will be my first time installing it myself. Hoping I won't need a puller. I can rent a seal installer for free, or use a little homemade tool courtesy of a good recommendation from a friend. Hoping to install the new seal this evening and let the RTV set-up overnight. Probably cures in an hour or so.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I originally went with the Moser 9" cause it is supposed to be "unbreakable" for a bolt on car with 3.73 gears. Before this becomes a rant lets just say that I'm dissapointed with it....

I have a friend with a Moser 12 bolt in his Camaro and has had no problems at all.

I'm switching to a 12 bolt in a few weeks.

98' trans am

If anyone want's to buy my Strange 12 bolt.......
    if the price is right

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    if the price is right
    You wanna come get it....cause shipping will kill us.

98' trans am

lol

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

You are probably right Curtis. Everywhere I have read says use RTV on it. I did my homework after the problem started.

This will be my first time installing it myself. Hoping I won't need a puller. I can rent a seal installer for free, or use a little homemade tool courtesy of a good recommendation from a friend. Hoping to install the new seal this evening and let the RTV set-up overnight. Probably cures in an hour or so.
    even if it's pre assembled you're still (if you can) want some one to check teh backlash on the rear gears...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    even if it's pre assembled you're still (if you can) want some one to check teh backlash on the rear gears...
    I had it installed by a certified professional dealer/installer of Moser products. I am going to be changing this out this evening.

I was advised to jack the car up on that side so the gear oil will not leak toward that passenger side (bad side) and clean the axle tube out with an appropriate cleaner (will use brake cleaner probably) and apply the high-temp RTV on the OD of the axle seal before installment.

I was also instructed to put a small bead of the RTV around where the seal seats against the axle tube once I have the seal installed.

Also going to try to check to make sure the axle is true by spinning the wheel. Not sure if I will be able to detect anything.

Any other suggestions so I won't need to buy a FOURTH seal before I start?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I had it installed by a certified professional dealer/installer of Moser products. I am going to be changing this out this evening.

I was advised to jack the car up on that side so the gear oil will not leak toward that passenger side (bad side) and clean the axle tube out with an appropriate cleaner (will use brake cleaner probably) and apply the high-temp RTV on the OD of the axle seal before installment.

I was also instructed to put a small bead of the RTV around where the seal seats against the axle tube once I have the seal installed.

Also going to try to check to make sure the axle is true by spinning the wheel. Not sure if I will be able to detect anything.

Any other suggestions so I won't need to buy a FOURTH seal before I start?

That sounds about right to me. Just eyeball everything real good once you have it apart and cleaned up. What a bummer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information