maroon
    1988 iroc

how to identify rearend

i just put a 350 in my thirdgen camaro and my 2.73 gears are not going to cut it ive got some 3.42 gears but im looking for a carrier and i dont want to spend a ton of money on it so im going to go to the JY and look for an eaton style from a 4th gen any clues as to what #'s to look for? and how do i tell the gear ratio when i take off the cover? also how do i tell if it is an eaton style or the auburn style b/c i hear 4th gens come with both.

Quote Originally Posted by 88irocZ View Post
    i just put a 350 in my thirdgen camaro and my 2.73 gears are not going to cut it ive got some 3.42 gears but im looking for a carrier and i dont want to spend a ton of money on it so im going to go to the JY and look for an eaton style from a 4th gen any clues as to what #'s to look for? and how do i tell the gear ratio when i take off the cover? also how do i tell if it is an eaton style or the auburn style b/c i hear 4th gens come with both.
    Ring Gear Teeth Count / Pinion Gear Teeth = Gear Ratio.... 4th gens either came with the stock torsen or auburn. Both work just as well as the other

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

just ask what your looking for ,the jy will know what they have,most know what the codes are.just in case( gu6 ) is 3:42 ratio,(g80) is positraction.most important of all(i ve said this many times)is to make sure of location of the abs sensors,it doesn't do any good to buy a rear end that you cant use even if its the ratio you want.some have 1 abs sensor on top of the axle housing(pumpkin),some have 2,1 on each wheel backing plate.you cant make one work for the other,simply because one is a 3 channel abs system,the other is a 4 channel system.although you can take the backing plates off of the 4 channel axle & put on the 3 channel axle to make it work.make sure what you are getting before you buy,good luck.

Thread Information