Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

How expensive to change a clutch?

Just curious about ballpark figures here. I got quoted a sum that made me go I'm wondering if thats including the clutch itself or just labor.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Around 500-600 for everything.

SOM
    2002 SS

like including the clutch?

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

I piad 450 for my swap... bought clutch from them also that may have contributd to good price....clutch was at killer price too...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Just for labor is about 250-300, if they charge you more then that for our cars then go somewhere else. Ive replaced clutches 8 times from past cars and they were all camaro's, thats the price i got and they werent hookin me up.

SOM
    2002 SS

Appreciate the reponses guys. the shoppe is asking $650 for the install ( with me buying the clutch). I was telling him we can do headers/exhaust at the same time since the exhaust has to come down. i figured it would be a bit easier to just take the stock exhaust off and trash it. he's also asking $650 for lts/catback. To me this sounds outrageous to be quite honest. I never paid close to that amount for any of my vette parts. I think I need to find another shoppe. Either that or I'm scrapping doing headers and just going to go to my exhaust shoppe to get the at back done.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I would look for another shop. I'd ask friends who they had do their swaps and see how good the shop is. It's great finding a cheaper shop, but only if they do it and do it right!

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

650, lol. Definitly find another shop.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The labor time for a clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing replacement is 5.8 hours. Shop labor rates vary but mine is $95 per hour so that would be $551 in labor. To get it down to $300 labor the rate would be like $50 per hour and there aren't alot of independent shops running labor that low any more. At least not around here.
    Choose a shop wisely. Tell them NOT to abuse your car on a test drive.

Blog Entries

White
    2007 Firebird Trans AM WS

This just done. We opted for a complete change out. After reading some of the posts for the items in after market stores (Advance/Auto Zone/etc) I recommended to the owner that he go for the GM issue items. These included Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, slave cylinder. The total cost for parts was $974.00 and we received the same quote from a Pontiac and a Chevy dealer. Did we need all these? Probably not. We pre-ordered so there would not be any issues of not having what we needed. The flywheel looked fine except for the heat spots. Had it been mine, I would have had Napa resurface it. The clutch was gone and was eating away at the pressure plate and even the flywheel bolt heads (bolts were still reusable). The pressure plate had heat/burn marks but I am not sure whether I would have kept it or not. The slave cylinder we replaced because every post I have read says to. The pilot bearing was actually two paper thin sleeves, one that had to be chiseled out of the crank shaft opening. No bearing pins in site. They were gone.

The cost for the flywheel and clutch components was about $500-600 depending on where you looked. The Flywheel I believe was $118. The pilot bearing $20. Any questions on the above? Just ask.

The cost at a GM shop was estimated to be $1800 but that did not include the (I forget, either the pilot bearing $20., or the slave cylinder $210). What else they might have found I am not sure.
    Last edited by Dandur805; 02-03-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Dandur805 View Post
    The total cost for parts was $974.00 and we received the same quote from a Pontiac and a Chevy dealer.

The cost for the flywheel and clutch components was about $500-600 depending on where you looked. The Flywheel I believe was $118. The pilot bearing $20. Any questions on the above? Just ask.
    Which price was which? Are you saying $974 was from the dealer and $500-600 was from your typical auto parts store?

I think I paid around $550 for a Spec Stage 3+ for everything back in 2008 time-frame.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

My Ls7 was close to $500, Tick MC $324, speed bleeder $50, slave $125, and everything else rear main seal, P bearing, ARP bolts, fluids,etc I had almost $1,100 in parts with me doing the install
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The labor time for a clutch, flywheel, and pilot bearing replacement is 5.8 hours. Shop labor rates vary but mine is $95 per hour so that would be $551 in labor. To get it down to $300 labor the rate would be like $50 per hour and there aren't alot of independent shops running labor that low any more. At least not around here.
    Choose a shop wisely. .
    Exactly!!! No one around here has a labor rate less than $90 an hour. It's not a simple 2 hour job either.

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    My Ls7 was close to $500, Tick MC $324, speed bleeder $50, slave $125, and everything else rear main seal, P bearing, ARP bolts, fluids,etc I had almost $1,100 in parts with me doing the install
    Right on the money. I prefer the adjustable masters on these cars, and the speed bleeder is nice to have. I'm not going to tear into one without replacing the slave while I'm in there either. Only difference is that I prefer a Centerforce clutch for about the same money. GM doesn't recommend that you resurface the flywheel, so that's another expense ( I go with the centerforce piece) In the end I don't see getting a nice clutch setup under $1,000, and that's just parts delivered to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Appreciate the reponses guys. the shoppe is asking $650 for the install ( with me buying the clutch).
    Is that Canada money? If so, price doesn't sound bad.

black
    00 maro ss

Man i got my clutch, throw out bearing for under 400$ it was a spec stage 2 held up to 600 700 hp. i loved it lol. But if u need help findin a good whole sale price pm me man. And changin it urself is the way to go. its gravy sauce.

black
    00 maro ss

Man im glad i didnt get a stage 3. my stage 2 was sooo sticky i had to rev to 1500 plus just to ease from a stop or the tranny would start jerkin lol. couldnt even imagine a stage 3 lmfao.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

my stage 3 just finally is on its last leg 60k miles later, i didnt think it was bad at all

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I wonder how my Monster stg4 is going to be. Coming off a LS7 clutch.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the stage 3+ which is much more aggressive than the 3 and it feels basically like stock to me. Took about 500-750 miles to break in. After that it was cake.

Thread Information