White
    01 Camaro 6speed

How does gearing work ?

Well ive seen this time and time again and im gonna use this just as one example. Why does a T/A or Camaro pull so hard 2nd, 3rd, 4th and as soon as it goes into 5th gear lets say a stock 01 Camaro against a 01-06 E46 M3, the M3 starts to pull hard. This also happens with porsches were when you go into 5th gear against a porsche they start pulling on you.

Basically i know they have much better gearing then our cars and are able to hit higher top speeds with less hp if the governer is taken out. Ive heard on several occasions were 01-06 M3's can and will run easily over 170+MPH with no issues as long as your in 5th gear once you go into 6th it will activate the limiter. Porsche's i dont know much about but they also pull extremely well in 5th gear. Is it because our gearing is too wide in 5th lets say your an M6 Camaro or T/A or is there more to it involving the tranny as well. Funny thing is when i had my 01 M3 it didnt feel fast but once you get higher in speeds the thing would pull hard. Ok i know its a long thread but does someone have a good explanation in regards to this.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 04-09-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

White
    1999 SS

5th and 6th are basically overdrive gears in ours, they are geared really tall. So unless you have some major torque she's not going to pull very hard. Not sure about the gearing in the others.

black
    2002 WS6

Mostly it has to do with the ratios, chances are the ratios are bit lower on the BMW and Porsche given the roads they are intended to run on. IE the Autobahn. Where as the F-bodies are well a little more for stop light beating and cruising. where most of the accelerating you wil be doing is in 2-4 with 5-6 intended for high way cruising.

I'm sure there are many other factors like final drive rations (big differance there) power bands of the respective engines, and so forth.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Forza 2 shows the stock gear ratios I forget what they are but I always adjust them down.

I know it's just a video game but it's fun.

Like everyone else said, 5th and 6th are basically just for fuel economy.

black
    02 vette vert

i never understood why they needed a six speed in these cars. and then to put that skip shift crap in anyway. a good ratio spread from 1-4 and fifth for o-drive should be plenty.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    i never understood why they needed a six speed in these cars. and then to put that skip shift crap in anyway. a good ratio spread from 1-4 and fifth for o-drive should be plenty.
    why the hell not put in 6th? it doesn't hurt anything having better fuel economy. Hell i wish mine had 7th. could probably hit a higher top speed with another gear too

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    why the hell not put in 6th? it doesn't hurt anything having better fuel economy. Hell i wish mine had 7th. could probably hit a higher top speed with another gear too
    NO..you cant

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    NO..you cant
    so concise

Thread Information