Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

How to check play?

This is a discussion on How to check play? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 Just pulled my differential because of the excessive whining during acceleration. The bearing directly behind the ...

  1. #21
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    Just pulled my differential because of the excessive whining during acceleration. The bearing directly behind the seal wasn't even touching the race. Is this normal? Other than that, the bearings look to be great. However, there was an 1/8 inch play pinion/ring. Think I may have crushed the collar by driving too hard. Is this possible?
    You mean pinion bearing? No the bearing should be riding on the race-that's what it's there for. That's really wierd because the only way for the pinion bearing to not ride on the race would be to have pressed it on to far-and if that happened there would be something else really wrong.

    Maybe I got carried away here when you say behind the seal do you mean the diff cover and talking about the bearings under the bearing caps?

  2. #22
    Member Speed_kills_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    403

    Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

    No. Got that part figured out. My concern is the crush sleeve now.

  3. #23
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Jeff - You ever get confirmation on the torque spec?

  4. #24
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Jeff - You ever get confirmation on the torque spec?

    A friend looked it up for me in one of his books.

  5. #25
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    A friend looked it up for me in one of his books.
    Was 60 correct?

  6. #26
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,996

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    However, there was an 1/8 inch play pinion/ring. Think I may have crushed the collar by driving too hard. Is this possible?
    Yes I believe that is possible. Might be time to upgrade to a solid pinion bearing spacer, eh?

  7. #27
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Was 60 correct?

    Yes it was. Thanks!

  8. #28
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_kills_WS6 View Post
    No. Got that part figured out. My concern is the crush sleeve now.
    Well if you over torque it you need a new one
    If you are reusing the old crush sleeve your supposed to line up some marks on the pinion flange and flange bolt. When resembling torque 3-5lb-inch past where the marks line up.
    A new one is generally 20lb-inch but I don't know what our 7.5" call for specifically. Generally 20lb" is the magic #.

  9. #29
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Yes it was. Thanks!
    Good to know after everything is said and done

  10. #30
    Member Speed_kills_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    403

    Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

    Got new crush sleeve, nut, bearings, etc. Gonna slap her back together today. The new crush sleeve is probably a 1/16th of an inch taller than the used one. Maybe a tad more. Think this is where my excessive play and whine may have came from. Hope I'm right anyways.

  11. #31
    Member Speed_kills_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    403

    Black
    2002 TA WS6 M6

    No success. Whine is a lot quieter than before, but still remains on acceleration...

  12. #32
    Next... MrKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Posts
    626

    Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

    You have 500 miles on that thing already?! I only racked up about 200 on mine. Do you find it's quieter now? I had a slight whine that seemed to go away after the first 100 or so.

  13. #33
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    You have 500 miles on that thing already?! I only racked up about 200 on mine. Do you find it's quieter now? I had a slight whine that seemed to go away after the first 100 or so.

    It definitely quieted down from when I first drove it. Still have a resonance at around 1,500 rpm under light cruise. On the highway I really don't hear it at all. I think a lot of the resonance is from the tunnel mount torque arm.

  14. #34
    Next... MrKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Posts
    626

    Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It definitely quieted down from when I first drove it. Still have a resonance at around 1,500 rpm under light cruise. On the highway I really don't hear it at all. I think a lot of the resonance is from the tunnel mount torque arm.
    Ahhh. yeah, that will do it. I got rid of mine because of that, and the shock that I felt through the floor on the crappy roads we have around here.

  15. #35
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    Ahhh. yeah, that will do it. I got rid of mine because of that, and the shock that I felt through the floor on the crappy roads we have around here.

    I just get an occasional clunk from under the car, so it's not all that bad. I debated a full length torque arm mounted to the transmisson x-member. However, since I am trying to stay faster than my friends, I decided to go for the added traction of a tunnel mount.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. .MP4 won't play
    By allbaugh_04 in forum Computers / Gaming
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 04:16 AM
  2. Play him off....
    By Ice Spiral in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 04:25 PM
  3. 630$ or so to play with
    By Eric1987 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM
  4. Desks - check, phones - check, Cuban Flag with pic of Che - check
    By dock in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •