Black
    2002 Z28

How To Change Bearings

I have a noise coming from the rear end of my Camaro. Its more like a "whump" whump" "whump" kinda sound that seems to be coming more from the left side. I think Ive ruled out the tires. The odd thing is when you take your foot off the gas it immediately quitens down. As soon as you touch the gas again it starts back up. Im gonna try and replace the rear axle bearings for starters. The only problem is Ive only done a rear wheel bearing job once 25 years ago and not sure if anything special is required to do these. Is there a place on here I can go for instructions to remove them or can someone tell me? Ok I have just one more--Are the rear wheel bearing and axle bearing the same thing? Is there only one bearing per side?
    Any info is appreciated guys..Thanks

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

that sounds like carrier bearings more then anything, as far as the axle bearings go, pull your axles out and check for pitting on the axle itself as this is where the bearing rides.

Black
    2002 Z28

Thanks for the info....I have it in the shop right now and they are stumped. They changed the axle bearings which were toast and the axles are slightly pitted. They put it back together and the noise is still there. Monday they are going to do a complete tear down. Hopefully something obvious will show. Chevrolet musta put cheap pieces of shit in these cars cuz this one has been pampered.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by JRF57
    Is there a place on here I can go for instructions to remove them or can someone tell me?
    ...........at the very top of this section is a complete rear end FAQ in bright red letters. If you read it there is a link that takes you through the complete break down of a rear end.

Thread Information