NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

high pitched "clunk"

Hey all. Happy thanksgiving! I have had this problem for some time now. The problem presents itself mostly when I am rolling (at any speed) and I push in the clutch I hear a clunk. It will also do it when I go over bumps or simply let off the throttle so the weight shifts forward. I was Thinking it was u-joints but everything felt tight. My 10 bolt does have a bad pinion leak, it drips on my garage floor and is spewed all over the underbody and torque arm. Could it be a bad pinion? Or broken torque arm? The weird thing is is that it does is 90% of the time while other times there is no noise at all. My suspension mods are poly trans mount, kenne bell sfc's, bmr lca's, bmr panhard, lowering springs.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Another thing I should add: I get bad vibrations over 50mph.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

sounds like bad u joints. if the diff was going out you would be hearing a whine. the seal is easy to change, and cheap to buy. but you will be buying a differential if you do not change the seal. keep it full of grease until you do...

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

It does whine at highway speeds. Is that normal? The previous owner had 4.10s installed then switched back to stock. Maybe gears were set up wrong? And I checked the driveline and it had no play. But I noticed a little play in the trans output shaft.....

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check you trans mount.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Torque arm mount on the tailshaft. Sounds like the TA is slapping up when you let off the gas, or when you pull in the clutch. The mount could be loose, or shot. Same goes with the tranny mount the "other" Keith mentioned.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Well I got under there and checked the trans mount. It looked pretty fatigued and I was able to bench press the trans about 1/2 an inch. I ordered a new mount anyways. But im still not convinced its the mount making noise. I guess ill have to take it into a shop and get it looked at :/ gah

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

with the new rearend you could be hearing the slack between the gears and the rearend. i put in a 1000hp solid race drive shaft in my 04 gto and i get the clank also. never did with the stock one.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

also i have the 6sp and i no my transmount is wore out. i am getting the whine like you. and i do know mine is the tranny mount. i will go back with a urithane mount when i replace mine.

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Im replacing my poly mount with an ac delco rubber mount. Just waiting for it to get through the mail. Ill update if that fixes it

NBM
    2001 Camaro SS SLP# 2646

Well i replaced the mount today. Clunking noise is still there. Im thinking u joints. There was some play in the drive shaft near the trans. I couldnt tell if it was the u joints or the output shaft itself moving but there definitely was play. If it were the trans shaft, wouldnt it be leaking fluid?

Thread Information