red
    1999 corvette

help with motor question

i have a 1999 corvette and have a bad motor block i was thinking about geting a 6.0 block. im not worred about the weight has any body done this swap befor. im going to use 243 heads ls6 intake and big cam and i spray a lot of nitrous, just looking for any suggestions. i will be using ls1 crank and rods and new keth black pistions

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

I would be scared running lots of nitrous on those rods, and i would Highly suggest a fast 90+ intake specially with a big cam, and if you can get the 243's ported. The more air flow the better, why you gonna run the ls1 crank? Are you planning on running higher RPM's? What are you power goals?

red
    1999 corvette

i spray 175 on in right now and have went through about 15 bottels with no problems on the all stock motor right now. the only reason i am changing the block is it was in a wreck and broke starter ear off but has been welded back on i drive it every day and go through a 10lb bottle a week. i run low 11s right now with 853 heads and ls1 intake and stock motor tune

red
    1999 corvette

im on a small bugget and my ls1 only has 25k miles on it and i am going to reuse all of you old parts i can and i am not wanting to run a higher rpm. people are to high on ls1 blocks and i can get 6.0 block a lot cheaper

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

I would love a 6.0 block!! I thought you were gonna spray more then 175 shot . I misread that sorry, and ls1 crank is the same size as the stock 6.0 I believe anybody correct me if I'm wrong, the major thing is probably bigger injectors and your gonna need a tune. And call comp cam or who ever you buy your cam from and explain your set up and they will match a cam to those heads and nitrous use. Do you you know what compression ratio you'll be running?

Owning a 9 sec ricer is like coming out of the closest: at first you'll surprise everyone, but in the end you're still gay

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If you plan on getting a 6.0L you need to look for >04 LQ4 or 9's. They have the 24x reluctor wheel that is the same as on our LS1's If you get a LQ9 that is 05< you'll need to either swap over a 24x reluctor wheel or get a 24x to 58x converter in order to work with our pcm's.

Next you have quite a few options as far as heads & intake. Currently L92/LS3 heads and LS3/FAST 102 intakes are popular as well as 5.3 heads and either LS6 or FAST 102 intakes.

Using N2O you'll need to consider better pistons, rings, and rods as well as a cooler plug for this.

Cam - check with whoever you plan on getting one from, let them know what you have and plan on doing. Some cams work great with N2O while others do not. A custom grind might be the way to go.

Tuning - a full tune will be needed.

Currently I have a 04 LQ4 short block with a set of LS2 pistons. I have 2 options that both will consist of getting a custom grind cam with L92/LS3 heads and LS3 style FAST 102 intake with a NW 104 TB.

Opt 1: Keep going with my (now broke) LS1 and have the LQ bored out to a 408, in addition to the above stuff, I'll need a new crank, pistons & rods.

Opt 2: Throw in the 6.0L now and swap over my LS1 stuff, run it till I can acquire all of the above parts and then pull out again and do a 408 build.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

first off i would go with the ls3 head. the 6.0 has a 4" bore and the ls3 head will fit right on it. also the ls3 intake will breath alot better than the ls6 or the ls2. a fast 90/90 is better tho. but if i was going to build a engine i would go with the 6.0 iron block out of the pickups. there is more to work with and the reliability will be better. plus that block will withstand more hp on the crank journals. if my memory is right, the ls1 block journals are good to around 900 hp. after that the risk of the main bolts pulling out get very high. gm rates the ls1 block to 1000hp. it;s funny how i have seen them pullout at 850hp. my next build will be a iron block!!!!!

Thread Information