Thread: having probloms

White
    1999 Camaro SS

having probloms

okay so im taking my old driveshaft out i got the back that was easy 2 mins but the front were it gose in the m6 tranny is being a bitch how do i get that out any vids or pictures on how to do it thanks

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    okay so im taking my old driveshaft out i got the back that was easy 2 mins but the front were it gose in the m6 tranny is being a bitch how do i get that out any vids or pictures on how to do it thanks
    Not sure I'm reading you right but the tranny end of the shaft should just pull out of the tranny.. Unless you have bound splines (never seen one myself) it should come right out..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Right, It should just slide right out of the transmission.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

mines not sliding out at all keep in mind it snaped in half also i got the back peice off just the tranny wont let go of that drive line

White
    2008 Hummer H3

mines not sliding out at all keep in mind it snaped in half also i got the back peice off just the tranny wont let go of that drive line
    Then IMHO your problems may be deeper than just a broken drive shaft.. Sounds like a bent or damaged tail shaft on the tranny..

White
    1999 Camaro SS

if thats the case im dropping the engine an doing a complete rebuild an will buy a cheap lil honda to drive to work in till im done haha

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Not sure I'm reading you right but the tranny end of the shaft should just pull out of the tranny.. Unless you have bound splines (never seen one myself) it should come right out..
    how do you get these out

White
    2008 Hummer H3

how do you get these out
    Well if your spines are galded or the shaft is bent you don't. You leave it be and replace or have the tranny rebuilt. Remember everything in the tranny is connected to the next thing that makes it turn and output your power. So the likelyhood of more extensive internal damage is greater.. Think about it like this: whatever hp you're @ when the shaft broke, roughly the same power caused your issue @ the tail.. A broken drive shaft being slapped around by a few hundred hp is like trying to stop a stampede with a broom handle something else is likely to get damaged too.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also as a heads up. You may want to get under there and see what was the cause of the shaft breaking in half. Things like "did the axle tuck or twist too far?, is my torque arm still bolted tight?" This could possibly bind the U-joints. Or "did the pinion try to ride up on the ring gears and bind causing shaft failer?" I would'nt throw parts @ her till you know for sure, cuz you could be doing it again later.. 10 bolt = busted..

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Try to unbolt the tranny from the Clutch housing then drop it out that way. Is there any corrosion around the tail end of the trans?

The tail housing will unbolt from the back of the tranny. Not sure if then you'll be able to pull the output shaft out of the trans then and then just have the output shaft in the tail shaft stuck to the broken drive shaft.....

White
    1999 Camaro SS

didnt know it was going to be this much trouble to do all this crap haha well i was doing about 40 then got on it an the tires started to grab an the drive shaft was gone haha

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    Try to unbolt the tranny from the Clutch housing then drop it out that way. Is there any corrosion around the tail end of the trans?

The tail housing will unbolt from the back of the tranny. Not sure if then you'll be able to pull the output shaft out of the trans then and then just have the output shaft in the tail shaft stuck to the broken drive shaft.....
    i dont see any corrosion but what if there is?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Well if there is corrosion, that could be what's keeping you from pulling the drive shaft off of the output shaft.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ICRAZY6 View Post
    Well if there is corrosion, that could be what's keeping you from pulling the drive shaft off of the output shaft.
    i got it out just got a bar an yanked on it an it popped out got the new one in but it has like a finger tip to go an it will not slip in ?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Some Penetrating oil and a Hammer or prybar. I like to use Dead blow hammers, wont bang anything up or mar the new driveshaft.
    Did you inspect the splines befor you put the new one on?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

White
    1999 Camaro SS

yeah nothing wrong with them but the drive shaft has the lil 2 gap teeth an the tranny had no 2 gap they were all single teeth? so i slide it on till it went on by its self an it went on but then it got to the very end an then its got a lil finger tip gap now

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Does it slide in enough to bolt it back on the rearend? any pics?

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Does it slide in enough to bolt it back on the rearend? any pics?
    yeah it is now but i for got i have to change the joint out to a universal

so no i have to take it back out if not i could be driving it again

its been almost 2 months because of all the snow an then having to order the part an the money for it

White
    1999 Camaro SS

good news its back on the road purring like a beast

Thread Information