Guinea Pig

This is a discussion on Guinea Pig within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So I agreed to "test" a Pro Form Rear Diff Cover on my Silverado 1500. They shipped me one. OK. ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Guinea Pig

So I agreed to "test" a Pro Form Rear Diff Cover on my Silverado 1500.
    They shipped me one. OK. I am not going to do a range report here...but get right to it.
    OE cover takes 2 1/2 quarts. This new ProForm Perfect Launch cover is noticably "deeper".
    They were clueless how much fluid this thing took. Fill it to the hole they said. No 2.5 quarts like a Dana 60. No. Yes. Maybe. We dunno. What do you think Sarge?
    Well the hole was like 3" or 4" above the original fluid level. I come from the school of too much rear fluid your asking for seal leaks and brake jobs shortly thereafter. Filled to the hole was 7 1/2 quarts. A full inch or two above the top of the axles.

Shade tree common sense. I drained a quart and a half out. Using the highly accurate bent tie-wrap method I checked the fluid level until it reached the original fluid level of roughly the middle of the axles on level ground.

So the original fluid level was roughly the middle of the axles with 2.5 quarts. The "new" fluid level is the middle of the axles with 6 quarts ( new cover is deeper).

Make sense to you guys?

By the way this is it here....
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66668/

I guess these are relatively new to the market.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yes, too much and it would be everywhere.

Prolly would come out of the breather too and hit the pipes..

If you're driving it and it is'nt doing anything different than before I'd say you did the right thing. and have the level right..
    Just my .02
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That fill plug is up there a ways. My overall experience with Proform has been kind of negative. Tried one of their two piece SBC timing covers and it was complete crap. I gave it away. There was something else I tried and wasn't too thrilled with, but can not recall what it was at the moment.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Frankly I am not impressed. Made in Taiwan. But I told them I would install it and give it a whirl.....

Wow that fill hole is high. Generally they are at or just below the centerline of the caps where your preload bolts are.

Almost as if you flipped the cover upside down and mounted it that way,,,it would put the fill hole where it needs to be.

You could have used the stock fill plug on the side of the housing to fill it just to be certain.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well we wanted to discover what issues the average guy would encounter. I installed it to their instructions. It is coming off anyway.......Local Performance Shop was looking at being a dealer. Ask me to check into it and gave me this one.

Pro Form Perfect Launch Rear Differential Cover-
    Pig metal. Cheapest/weakest bolts I have ever seen for a car application. This thing is made to "toy" quality. Absolute junk. Average Made in China cheap crap sold in the USA.
    Last edited by Sarge; 02-27-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Thread Information