Results 1 to 8 of 8

General Motors 12 Bolt Rear End Assy

This is a discussion on General Motors 12 Bolt Rear End Assy within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Who makes a good strong & lightweight 12-bolt rear end that will bolt right up and be quiet enough for ...

  1. #1
    Member Z ROADSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport,Louisiana .USA
    Posts
    505

    PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

    General Motors 12 Bolt Rear End Assy

    Who makes a good strong & lightweight 12-bolt rear end that will bolt right up and be quiet enough for the street ?
    When I say quiet I mean NO howling or whine noise .

  2. #2
    Never Drink and Derive Tonik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,019

    Black
    '99 SS

    I'm not sure on noise but Moser is pretty popular on these boards...

    Moser 12bolt = a4
    Moser 9" =m6
    Strange Dana S60 = big horsepower

    The Moser 12bolt bolts right up and the 9"/S60 require the driveshaft to be shortened, though they can withstand more abuse than the 12 bolt.

  3. #3
    2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lathrop, Missouri
    Posts
    2,479

    NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    I'm not sure on noise but Moser is pretty popular on these boards...

    Moser 12bolt = a4
    Moser 9" =m6
    Strange Dana S60 = big horsepower

    The Moser 12bolt bolts right up and the 9"/S60 require the driveshaft to be shortened, though they can withstand more abuse than the 12 bolt.
    9" does not require your drive shaft being shortened only the S60. I should know, I have a 9". also the 12 bolt and the S-60 torque arm mount is not as good as the 9". I have done a lot of reasearch and people are haveing problems with gear whine on the 12 bolt and the strange dana 60 due to the torque arm mount tweaking the housing and causeing gear whine. The 9" does not have that problem and they have a much better torque arm mount design.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

    1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

    2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

  4. #4
    2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lathrop, Missouri
    Posts
    2,479

    NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

    look at this thread for more info. Why Moser?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Zboner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    cincinnati/northern ky
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,045

    Black
    99 SS

    i second, the whine or gear noise is caused by a bad install with a lot of play

  6. #6
    Make real real sure Johns00Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Germantown, MD
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,404

    Black
    2000 Z-28

    Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    9" does not require your drive shaft being shortened only the S60. I should know, I have a 9". also the 12 bolt and the S-60 torque arm mount is not as good as the 9". I have done a lot of reasearch and people are haveing problems with gear whine on the 12 bolt and the strange dana 60 due to the torque arm mount tweaking the housing and causeing gear whine. The 9" does not have that problem and they have a much better torque arm mount design.
    Don't you have to delete your rear abs and parking brake when you go with a 9"?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    88

    Purple
    1998 T/A convertable

    The whole point of helical cut gears is to allow a smooth transition from tooth to tooth. If they're off, it defeats the point. Straight cut are a bit more efficient, but sound like a blower.

  8. #8
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    i second, the whine or gear noise is caused by a bad install with a lot of play
    I have a Strange 12 bolt. Was quiet as a mouse when it was new. Only after several trips to the track it howls like mad now, still hasn't broken yet tho.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new to site, and LSx motors in general
    By vantheman44 in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM
  2. Saving general motors on tv right now
    By Danger731 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM
  3. saving general motors is on tv right now
    By Danger731 in forum Western Members
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM
  4. General Motors Parts Discount Web Site
    By Z ROADSTER in forum General Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •