Gearheads

This is a discussion on Gearheads within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey folks, been reading alot of threads on the 4:10 gears in a stock rearend. Seems tires and hp make ...

Black
    98 Trans AM

Gearheads

Hey folks, been reading alot of threads on the 4:10 gears in a stock rearend. Seems tires and hp make a big difference when it comes to gears.

I have just recently bought a 98 t/a M6. Mods are 4:10 gears (they are Richmond, and they are a small bit noisy, not too bad though) B&M short-throw shifter, Borla Catback exhaust. No mods to engine (however Ram Air will be added sometime in the future). Will mention that it also has a brand new T-56 transmission and dual friction centerforce clutch.
    Tire size is also stock...245 50 16..I do have a set of Fuzion ZRI's on though..(if that makes either difference)suppose to be real good for traction.

I guess my question is. With no mods to the engine and running stock hp, do I need to take it easy so I don't screw up my rearend?

Car will not see a track, but will not be driven like a granny either.

Seems alot of people say not to go to 4:10's in a stock rearend if I don't want to replace the rearend. Don't want to get into spending alot of money.

Not even really sure what kind of rearend it has or how to find out. Same with the gears, not sure what they were as stock.

Just need to know would it be better to change the gears back to stock if I am not intending to change rearend or do many more mods.

Car is not a dd and only will be driven on weekends in summer.
    Gas mileage and highway driving is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.....All responses welcome...

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I would just keep the 4:10s in the car. If you are not lanching the car with sticky tires you should be OK. Stock M6 your car came with 3:42s.

Ryan

Black
    98 Trans AM

Thanks for the info Ryan, kind of what I wanted to hear too...

Thread Information