Black
    02 SS #8850

Gear ratio vs. take-off

Consider two of the same car with manual transmissions, except one car has 3.42s and the other has 4.10s. They both have traction issues taking off from the line hard. Which of the two cars will spin the tires less when taking off (which of the two will be able to launch from a stop better)?

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Which ever guy knows how to drive his car

Well, I guess all things being equal, if the car is already traction limited 4:10s aren't going to help any. So I'd say the launch would prolly go to the 3:42s, but once the car hooks the 4:10 should have the mechanical advantage. Really though it comes down to the driver if both are wanting to spin.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Yup, if you don't get over excited and can modulate the peddle then the 4:10 will be faster off the line.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The shorter (4.10) gears will create more torque at the wheels, which generally means less traction. However, if you hook up, it gives better acceleration.

I have 4.10's in my car, and provided that its warm (55+ degrees) and dry out, I don't really have any traction problems. My tires are Eagle F1 GS 285/40/17s out back.

If you're considering both cars, and you don't do too much high speed highway driving (75+MPH), then the 4.10's are your best bet. They give you better acceleration, and really wake the car up around town. Plus you can use 6th gear much more. I can go into 6th around 45MPH and have is cruise along fine.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The shorter (4.10) gears will create more torque at the wheels, which generally means less traction. However, if you hook up, it gives better acceleration.

I have 4.10's in my car, and provided that its warm (55+ degrees) and dry out, I don't really have any traction problems. My tires are Eagle F1 GS 285/40/17s out back.

If you're considering both cars, and you don't do too much high speed highway driving (75+MPH), then the 4.10's are your best bet. They give you better acceleration, and really wake the car up around town. Plus you can use 6th gear much more. I can go into 6th around 45MPH and have is cruise along fine.
    I agree. I was a bit more conservative with my car and went with 3.90's, because I really didn't want to kill my gas mileage. It was definitely a worthwhile investment.....really makes driving around town a LOT more fun (it seems like you're always in the power band regardless of what point you have to drop down into a gear). Best mod I've done to date.

But to answer your question, it all comes down to the driver. Hypothetically, the 4.10 car is quicker, however the driver would have to be more skilled than the guy with the 3.42, because the car with the 4.10's is more apt to lose traction.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I just dropped in a 12-bolt with 4.11s, and as long as the roads are dry, it takes off much quicker than the 3.42s. It does take a little more skill not to spin the tires, especially since mine are bald. The gas mileage is still decent - I ran 25mpg on the highway at 80mph with my engine running rich.

Thread Information