black
    02 ws6, samurai on 40's

do my 3.42's make me sloooow!

my car kinda seems like it wants to be much faster than it is, but it just doesnt really have much after i hit 2nd gear. do 410's make it get off crazy, or do i need a 430, 456? its a m6, ls1.... when i drop the hammer, i want it to be scary ....what do u guys think?
    02 ws6,m6,umi sfc, bbk lt's,y pipe,stainless borla straight pipew/dynomax bullet,160 stat,4.10's,umi adj trq arm,k&n,sportlines,kyb agx's,98mm clear lid,all free mods,d-scrnd mass,fernco,e3 plugs,short stick,tunedbyfrost,no hood baffles,hood to air box w/adh. foam,needs a cam

Murderd out
    98 trans am WS9

410's will wake it up for sure i would go with those if you got a 10 bolt if you got a 9" i would choose 430 but if you need some 410's i got some brand new motive ones never installed 180 obo was going to put them on my 10 bolt but changed my plans pm if your interested

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

if you're doing a cam later keep your rear gears in mind... if you get a large cam like a t-rex or ms4 you'll need atleast 4.11's...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Just don't wake the demons in the rear lol.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yeah...

A gear is hardly going to make the car scary (and won't make it any faster)... a gear AND a cam won't give you what you want. 700 HP to the tire isn't scary after an afternoon of driving it, so you are going to actually have to open up your wallet if you want to make some real power. That's the way it goes I'm afraid.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    that is awesome !

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    i'll stay away from taco bell...

and frost is right... the first day i got on it after dropping in my ls6 i was all now it's just "i wish i had a super charger"...

Just rent a smart car for a week after driving that your ls1 will be scary fast.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by stunna p View Post
    my car kinda seems like it wants to be much faster than it is, but it just doesnt really have much after i hit 2nd gear. do 410's make it get off crazy, or do i need a 430, 456? its a m6, ls1.... when i drop the hammer, i want it to be scary ....what do u guys think?
    I have 4.10's in my car. They really don't make the car any faster, and can actually slow you down in the 1/4 mile because you have to make an extra shift before the traps.

The benefit is that the car will feel stronger in the lower gears (1st and 2nd) and will have more pep around town.

The downsides are that you will have to shift A LOT more. Every time you take off from a stop, you are constalty shifting. 1st through 4th goes almost instantly, and even around town and on country roads I end up in 5th and 6th gear. On the highway, you will also turn more RPM's in 6th gear, which decreases the stellar fuel economy these cars are known for. They also hurt your top end speed, since you have to shift into 6th at 155MPH.

I drove an 05 GTO recently with stock gears (3.46) and even with the much taller gears than my car has, the car felt just as fast. The GTO was bone stock and my car is full bolt ons, so both cars are about 400HP at the crank.

If I ever do a power adder or engine swap, I think I'll be going back to 3.42's, if for nothing else than to aid in traction from a dig.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Wesman; 12-10-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I think I'll be going back to 3.42's, if for nothing else than to aid in traction from a dig.

Hope that helps.
    ^ this

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ^ this
    Please explain why that is funny in the least.

98' trans am

Please explain why that is funny in the least.
    because our cars need all the help they can get for traction from a dig stock... so much more so when modded ......that is why it is funny to me..your comment is 100% correct..that isn't why i was laughing...laughing because of people who are full bolt on with a high str stall and gears...and complain about traction running stock 16s.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    because our cars need all the help they can get for traction from a dig stock... so much more so when modded ......that is why it is funny to me..your comment is 100% correct..that isn't why i was laughing...laughing because of people who are full bolt on with a high str stall and gears...and complain about traction running stock 16s.
    Gotcha. I thought you were laughing at my comment lol.

black
    02 ws6, samurai on 40's

ok, so with 410's hurt my highway hammer dropping. compared to my current 342's.
    when racing?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have 4.10's in my car. They really don't make the car any faster, and can actually slow you down in the 1/4 mile because you have to make an extra shift before the traps.

The benefit is that the car will feel stronger in the lower gears (1st and 2nd) and will have more pep around town.

The downsides are that you will have to shift A LOT more. Every time you take off from a stop, you are constalty shifting. 1st through 4th goes almost instantly, and even around town and on country roads I end up in 5th and 6th gear. On the highway, you will also turn more RPM's in 6th gear, which decreases the stellar fuel economy these cars are known for. They also hurt your top end speed, since you have to shift into 6th at 155MPH.

I drove an 05 GTO recently with stock gears (3.46) and even with the much taller gears than my car has, the car felt just as fast. The GTO was bone stock and my car is full bolt ons, so both cars are about 400HP at the crank.

If I ever do a power adder or engine swap, I think I'll be going back to 3.42's, if for nothing else than to aid in traction from a dig.

Hope that helps.
    Were you finishing in 3rd with your 342 gears? I finished in 4th with both 342 and 411. Just wondering.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Were you finishing in 3rd with your 342 gears? I finished in 4th with both 342 and 411. Just wondering.
    When I bought the car it had 4.10 gears. However, with stock 3.42's and 25.8" tall tires, 3rd tops out at 104MPH, so you definitely need to hit 4th in the 1/4 mile either way.

With the 4.10's though, I was almost bouncing off the rev limiter accross the traps in 4th. So if my car was any faster, I would need a time consuming shift to 5th, which would definitely kill my times. Thats what i was referring to in my post that you quoted.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

When I bought the car it had 4.10 gears. However, with stock 3.42's and 25.8" tall tires, 3rd tops out at 104MPH, so you definitely need to hit 4th in the 1/4 mile either way.

With the 4.10's though, I was almost bouncing off the rev limiter accross the traps in 4th. So if my car was any faster, I would need a time consuming shift to 5th, which would definitely kill my times. Thats what i was referring to in my post that you quoted.
    Ahhh. OK. Well that makes much more sense now. Thanks.

red
    2000 Z28

Why wouldn't you just raise the rev limiter? With stock height tires (25.8") 6500RPM's gets you 120MPH with 4.11's. If you're near that speed you should have already the valvetrain mods (springs, pushrods) to handle the RPM reliably and you're making peak power near there anyway.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    Why wouldn't you just raise the rev limiter? With stock height tires (25.8") 6500RPM's gets you 120MPH with 4.11's. If you're near that speed you should have already the valvetrain mods (springs, pushrods) to handle the RPM reliably and you're making peak power near there anyway.
    I was shifting at 6,000RPM. I have full bolt ons, no valvetrain mods besides comp cams pushrods (bent the stock ones). I didn't have to hit 5th, but if my car was any faster, I would have. So if I do H/C in the future, I will definitely raise the rev limiter to 6500RPM.

Thread Information