Red
    01 Camaro SS

Which differential

what is the best differential for street use and the occasional blast down the track? Looking at 9" but not sure which differential to get. I go to the track about six times a year. I just put drag radials on it and i know its only a matter of time now. And the car is not a daily driver, gets driven on nice weekends only, if that.

black trans am

nine inch all the way but not moser and not a true track lol and not 35 spline lol all the things a hate about my nine inch lol.... i have a locker and its diffrent but still good just my.02

if you only go track a few times a year a stock rear will work for ya and if its an auto it will last longer then a 6spd car rear

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I just got a Moser 9" with 31 spline axles and a Tru Trac diff. Which works like a limited slip yet works much better I hear. It allows you to take turns without the wheels not locking up or screeching. Ill have it all together this weekend and will let you know how it works. Oh my car is basically a DD but I will be taking it to the track in the summer

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    nine inch all the way but not moser and not a true track lol and not 35 spline lol all the things a hate about my nine inch lol.... i have a locker and its diffrent but still good just my.02
    Whats wrong with 35 spline?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

9" here. 35 splined locker and wouldn't have it any other way. After the 50 mile or so break in of the locker, I don't even really hear it anymore and it is bullet proof. Daily drive mine in the summer and put about 4,500 miles a year on it, with 10 or so nights out at the track.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

I got a Trac Loc in my 9" with 31 spline axles. On the street I havent had any problems what so ever but I have not had it to the track yet. My only complaint is that it whines. It could be improperly set up backlash, or pinion depth. Or my 4.56 gears could do it too lol.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The True Trac is the same design as a Torsen. They are kind of boring if you ask me and just no fun. They are great for everyday driving but aren't that great at straight line acceleration. A Posi and a Locker are way more fun. You can slid the ass end out when you want and you do not have to make the engine work to do it. They are great for straight line acceleration and coming out of a turn hard into the throttle. The Locker is stronger than the Posi but it takes quite a bit to break the Posi.

My vote goes to the Posi

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    The True Trac is the same design as a Torsen. They are kind of boring if you ask me and just no fun. They are great for everyday driving but aren't that great at straight line acceleration. A Posi and a Locker are way more fun. You can slid the ass end out when you want and you do not have to make the engine work to do it. They are great for straight line acceleration and coming out of a turn hard into the throttle. The Locker is stronger than the Posi but it takes quite a bit to break the Posi.

My vote goes to the Posi
    Mine acts like a posi I believe, when taking corners you can feel a small shutter. The clutches arent bad or anything but it is a very beefy setup. And my car is my dd

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Mine acts like a posi I believe, when taking corners you can feel a small shutter. The clutches arent bad or anything but it is a very beefy setup. And my car is my dd
    Yeah, it pretty much only acts like an open rear in extreme conditions.

Thread Information