Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Difference in Performance from 3.42 to 3.73?

This is a discussion on Difference in Performance from 3.42 to 3.73? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones I do. Actually most of the time 65 is just fine with me. I don't care ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I do. Actually most of the time 65 is just fine with me. I don't care if I'm in the slow lane. I'm never in much of a hurry to get anywhere anyway.

A 4.10 with a double overdrive?? Common it isn't bad at all. 6th gear is .50 and cuts your rear gear in half,,,,literally.

Guess I've been so used to driving cars around without overdrives,,,and running 4.56-4.88 gears that it just doesn't phase me anymore.

With an overdrive I wouldn't even hesitate putting a big gear in.

We always used to say,,,,put a real gear in it and be somebody
    Your not the only one Not many people have regrets concerning highway RPM with 4.10 gears. Zero complaints whatsoever here with 4.11's, and I used to drive 70 miles a day, a few days a week on the highway to work. I don't know how many times it has been said around here, but putting any money into aftermarket modification for a 10 bolt is a complete waste of cash.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I went with a 3.73 in mine and have been pleased. I do no drag racing, but use it mostly as a daily driver with many highway trips. Obviously, if I were to drag race I would have gone with a different setup.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

There's a bit more to it than that. The 4.10 gears themselves aren't weak.
    What is making them weak is installing them in a 7.5 inch rearend. More gear means smaller pinion gear with less teeth. When you are talking about a ring gear that is only 7.5 inches in diameter,,,,what happens is you have less gear contact between the ring gear and pinion gear.

On a 4.10 gear in a 7.5 inch rearend,,,,,you only have about 1.5 teeth contact as it rotates at any given time. That's not alot of teeth to absorb impact or shock loads. So you tend to shave the teeth off.

It's not the case when stepping up to a larger (better) rearend.

Personally I wouldn't even bother sticking gears in the 7.5. Any rise in gear ratio just makes the rearend weaker,,,,(aka: less tooth contact)
    Thanks for the more in depth info., thats pretty interesting to hear and i'm a sucker for knowledge at this age haha

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I went with a 3.73 in mine and have been pleased. I do no drag racing, but use it mostly as a daily driver with many highway trips. Obviously, if I were to drag race I would have gone with a different setup.
    Thats exactly what i plan on doing. Did you feel a significant difference? If so, what was it?

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    sam is a great guy!!! i got my shocks from him 2 years ago and i'll tell ya... he ships fast and provides great service!!!
    Haha yeah i get most of my information from him, since what racing i actually participate in is autocrossing. You can't go to a better guy than him in that case

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

There's a bit more to it than that. The 4.10 gears themselves aren't weak.
    What is making them weak is installing them in a 7.5 inch rearend. More gear means smaller pinion gear with less teeth. When you are talking about a ring gear that is only 7.5 inches in diameter,,,,what happens is you have less gear contact between the ring gear and pinion gear.

On a 4.10 gear in a 7.5 inch rearend,,,,,you only have about 1.5 teeth contact as it rotates at any given time. That's not alot of teeth to absorb impact or shock loads. So you tend to shave the teeth off.

It's not the case when stepping up to a larger (better) rearend.

Personally I wouldn't even bother sticking gears in the 7.5. Any rise in gear ratio just makes the rearend weaker,,,,(aka: less tooth contact)
    as 10 bolts are notorious for the flexing and abnormal tooth contact as is

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    as 10 bolts are notorious for the flexing and abnormal tooth contact as is
    Yep, which is why I don't care for gear swaps in the 7.5. Especially if only going to a 3.73.
    At which point you may as well just find another complete 7.5 from a stick car with 3.42's and call it done. They are cheaper to buy than a gear swap,,,and you can have it in the car in a couple hours.

You won't see much if any performance difference from 3.42's to 3.73 anyway, and since everyone seems to be worried about gas mileage.......know what I mean???

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Yep, which is why I don't care for gear swaps in the 7.5. Especially if only going to a 3.73.
    At which point you may as well just find another complete 7.5 from a stick car with 3.42's and call it done. They are cheaper to buy than a gear swap,,,and you can have it in the car in a couple hours.

You won't see much if any performance difference from 3.42's to 3.73 anyway, and since everyone seems to be worried about gas mileage.......know what I mean???
    Yeah i gotcha. i just had a few hundred to blow and wanted to go accelerate a little faster with what i've got you know?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    Thats exactly what i plan on doing. Did you feel a significant difference? If so, what was it?
    Yes, I feel the difference in acceleration, so it is significant in that sense (if it were insignificant, I wouldn't feel it). Mathematically, it is a 9% increase in gear and that roughly matches the rate of acceleration increase I experience for the normal street operation I do.

But, obviously, it is not as significant a difference in acceleration as a higher gear would be. Remember, I do not drag race with this car, so I've not set it up for the strip. I "play" sometime on the street with it, but I'm not crazy/irresponsible.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Yes, I feel the difference in acceleration, so it is significant in that sense (if it were insignificant, I wouldn't feel it). Mathematically, it is a 9% increase in gear and that roughly matches the rate of acceleration increase I experience for the normal street operation I do.

But, obviously, it is not as significant a difference in acceleration as a higher gear would be. Remember, I do not drag race with this car, so I've not set it up for the strip. I "play" sometime on the street with it, but I'm not crazy/irresponsible.
    Awesome, thats definitely some useful information, and the occasional "playing" on the street is the main reason i bought the gears. sounds like i made a decent choice, thank you

white
    83 mustang coupe

Dont waste your time with the 373 you wont even notice go big like 4:11 or lower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information