Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Difference in Performance from 3.42 to 3.73?

I just bought a 3.73 gear ratio for my 98 Z28 Camaro 6-Speed with a 3.42. What kind of increases in 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance should I expect?

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

shoulda went 4.10 i know that wakes em up quite a bit

White
    2000 Camaro

3.73 is a good gear, but I'd go with 4.30 if I had a 6 speed manual. Those two overdrives will still make your highway cruising not too bad, although first gear will be almost a granny gear haha. 3.73 is still a good street gear.

red

3.42-3.73

You won't notice enough to change it.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

i don't ever drag race my car though, so i figured 3.73 would be more appropriate for just street use. So i won't feel any difference? i just wasted 300 odd dollars?

white
    1997 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    i don't ever drag race my car though, so i figured 3.73 would be more appropriate for just street use. So i won't feel any difference? i just wasted 300 odd dollars?
    no my cousin just installed some 373s in his ws6 and he said it was a huge difference not like a 410 difference but he said it was significant enjoy your new gears.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

You will feel a slight difference i think the percentages are in the single digits going from 3.42-3.73 gears like 5-7 % but not sure. Even me having the 4.10 gears as we speak the only time i notice i have them is when im WOT going from 1st gear or going from 1st to 2nd gear shifts. Highway is suprisingly excellent im barely at 1900-2000rpms going 70mph. I wish i had bought something even more aggressive but im very happy with the 4.10's. As far as the 1/4 mile that really depends on traction and so on. If you keep the same driver under the same conditions other then the gear swap you will lose a bit more traction in 1st and especially slamming gears going from 1st to 2nd unless you got good tires.

The only problem i have with my gears and i finally figured out why this is, when i race my friend especially 1st and 2nd gear im in my power band in such a short time because how quickly it revs and hardly any traction he is able to keep up, ofcourse if i had good tires that will change a bit. Other gears like 3 and 4th especially will pull like you got rear ended hard. Also 5th gear makes a big difference as well when your WOT were it doesnt bog at all and so on. It will pull fairly decent in 6th if you need to get around someone slowly but definitly better then before. When you get use to it you hardly notice you have 4.10's and wish you went more aggressive, atleast i do.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 12-25-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Thank you all for the great info. It really helped and I can't wait to get my gears! Any more info is much appreciated

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I'm not really a fan of a lot of gear. I would rather just make more power.
    If I did change them it would be 3.73's. I think that would be a gear with the best of both worlds. P.M me and let me know how you like them. If you don't like them I'll buy them from you.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'd return them and buy 4:10s.

Red
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

I have a six speed and I went with 4.10's. I don't like them. Really, who drives 70mph on the freeway? When I actually drive 70 to keep RPM's low enough and get somewhat decent MPG's, I have to drive in the slow lane. I've wondered how 3.73's would have worked out. Seems like they would give a little better take off, but not not so much that it would make you shift too much and keep your RPM's low enough to drive at REAL freeway speeds and not be worrying about your RPM's and MPG's. If you try out the 3.73's, let us know what you think. Unfortunately sometimes you gotta try them all in order find out what's best for you. Kind of like women. LOL.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

just sent you a message...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by race5050 View Post
    I have a six speed and I went with 4.10's. I don't like them. Really, who drives 70mph on the freeway? When I actually drive 70 to keep RPM's low enough and get somewhat decent MPG's, I have to drive in the slow lane. I've wondered how 3.73's would have worked out. Seems like they would give a little better take off, but not not so much that it would make you shift too much and keep your RPM's low enough to drive at REAL freeway speeds and not be worrying about your RPM's and MPG's. If you try out the 3.73's, let us know what you think. Unfortunately sometimes you gotta try them all in order find out what's best for you. Kind of like women. LOL.
    ^ you swap gears and yet complain about mpg ?

to the OP dont let mpg bs get in your way..every mod you do to this car is not for increased mpg ..it is for performance...unfortunately with performance usually comes with a penalty in driveability and mpg..with gears however most people do not notice a large difference in mpg etc ...get 4.10s and be done with it.

Red
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

My Firehawk is a street car. 4.10's were not good for me. I noticed original poster is concerned about 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, so that would suggest freeway driving is not an issue. So for him... go for the 4.10's.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

I purchased the 3.73's and they are on the way. i will let you all know how they work out. I talked to Sam Strano from Stranoparts.com, i'm sure most of you have heard of him. He told me 4.10's are a rather weak gear and break easier, and i'd feel enough of a difference with the 3.73's to be happy with them. He also mentioned that my next investment should be something to put the power to the ground better for better grip and launches, which greatly increases acceleration and performance. Sounds like good advice so i might take it. Again, i'll let you all know how the 3.73's are as soon as i install them

I purchased the 3.73's and they are on the way. i will let you all know how they work out. I talked to Sam Strano from Stranoparts.com, i'm sure most of you have heard of him. He told me 4.10's are a rather weak gear and break easier, and i'd feel enough of a difference with the 3.73's to be happy with them. He also mentioned that my next investment should be something to put the power to the ground better for better grip and launches, which greatly increases acceleration and performance. Sounds like good advice so i might take it. Again, i'll let you all know how the 3.73's are as soon as i install them
    There's a bit more to it than that. The 4.10 gears themselves aren't weak.
    What is making them weak is installing them in a 7.5 inch rearend. More gear means smaller pinion gear with less teeth. When you are talking about a ring gear that is only 7.5 inches in diameter,,,,what happens is you have less gear contact between the ring gear and pinion gear.

On a 4.10 gear in a 7.5 inch rearend,,,,,you only have about 1.5 teeth contact as it rotates at any given time. That's not alot of teeth to absorb impact or shock loads. So you tend to shave the teeth off.

It's not the case when stepping up to a larger (better) rearend.

Personally I wouldn't even bother sticking gears in the 7.5. Any rise in gear ratio just makes the rearend weaker,,,,(aka: less tooth contact)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ^ you swap gears and yet complain about mpg ?

to the OP dont let mpg bs get in your way..every mod you do to this car is not for increased mpg ..it is for performance...unfortunately with performance usually comes with a penalty in driveability and mpg..with gears however most people do not notice a large difference in mpg etc ...get 4.10s and be done with it.
    I agree. I'm not even sure why it's contemplated on a car with an overdrive

Quote Originally Posted by race5050 View Post
    I have a six speed and I went with 4.10's. I don't like them. Really, who drives 70mph on the freeway?

I do. Actually most of the time 65 is just fine with me. I don't care if I'm in the slow lane. I'm never in much of a hurry to get anywhere anyway.

A 4.10 with a double overdrive?? Common it isn't bad at all. 6th gear is .50 and cuts your rear gear in half,,,,literally.

Guess I've been so used to driving cars around without overdrives,,,and running 4.56-4.88 gears that it just doesn't phase me anymore.

With an overdrive I wouldn't even hesitate putting a big gear in.

We always used to say,,,,put a real gear in it and be somebody

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sam is a great guy!!! i got my shocks from him 2 years ago and i'll tell ya... he ships fast and provides great service!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The 4.10 gears themselves aren't weak.
    What is making them weak is installing them in a 7.5 inch rearend.

Personally I wouldn't even bother sticking gears in the 7.5. Any rise in gear ratio just makes the rearend weaker,,,,(aka: less tooth contact)
    Both of this. I put 4:10s in my 10 bolt many years ago only to end up buying a 12 bolt w/4:11s a year or two later.

Thread Information