Pewter
    99 Z/28

Did I "Grenade" my new tranny?

Hey whats goin' on fellow F-bod lover's, new guy here with a question concerning my drivetrain. Every so often when I start my car, it will rev to about 2500rpm, then come back down to idle (500rpm), I am not sure why it does this, if you know then please tell me, but that is not my problem. I have a 1999 Z28 a4, with 143XXX miles on it, I drive it everywhere, its my only car, luv it to death!, But anyway, I just got a rebuilt transmission installed about 1500miles ago that came with a 100,000mile/3yr warranty.

Well, today, I was running late for class, so I jumped into my car and started it and put it into D, but if you havn't guessed, my engine automatically rev'd to 2500 when I put it into D! Well, I heard a clunk (loud) no I mean really LOUD, my car jumped and now I hear/feel weird humms/vibrations via my steering wheel, and pedals. Also when I was on the highway, I stepped on the gas to pass a car and my engine rev'd and then it shifted hard to get to fourth. Why?, and what was the "clunk", what damage did I do? How bad do you think the damage is? I know the best thing is to take it back to the place that put in the new tranny but would what I did to it "void" the warranty?, because I am short on funds right now. I really appreiciate all and any advice. If there is any other information you need feel free to ask. thanks again.
    Marcos

Black
    99 SS

maybe planitaries? i dont know, just take it back and say it started to make all there nosies and does not feel right at all. thats what i would do/say, then if they say abuse then say the tranny is only 1500 miles old how can it break already? im sure that cant happen.

Pewter
    99 Z/28

hmm, good point, but what is/are planitaries?, or did the damage occur between the tranny and engine like on the fly wheel or something?, not sure if an auto has one???

Black
    99 SS

no an auto has a flex plate, does it make a loud grinding noise when you put the car into drive from park like metal on metal?

ok what did you have done to the trans when you had it rebuilt? just stock or anything else?

Pewter
    99 Z/28

Uh, I don't think I hear metal on metal when I put it on D or P, but today when I put it in reverse, it made a strong vibration everyone could feel. But I have heard metal on metal before what could that be?

When I had it installed, the tranny came from the dealer, they said it has a new torque converter, internals, and updates, but it is just a used case with new internals, thats all I had done to it, I traded in my core.
    I am also feeling my gas pedal, don't know if it is normal, can't recall, but it is soft, then as you push it in it gets harder, makes it feel like the car is sluggish-could that be a sticky throttle body/blade??? Sorry for all the questions, I am still kinda new to late model mechanics.

Black
    99 SS

honestly i would just take it back to them and say something is wrong with this. fix it i paid good money for this and have only had it for a month. i think its something that they didnt install/do right to the trans i think its there fault maybe just take it to the ASAP and dont wait either just say i have noticed this or that, and maybe take it to another trans shop and have them look it over if it is free and ask them what they think about it.

yeah.......take it back to the shop and let them worry about it.....also the clunk could have been a broken/loose tranny mount if it does it when you shift into gear hard or when you accelerate hard.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Well you probably damaged/stripped a planetary. See if your car slips at the same gear and revs, but be careful...it will slip straight into next gear and hard cuz its just like popping it into neutral than back into drive on a high RPM (very bad for your tranny and axle, also scary to handle sometimes). I'm assuming that when you popped it into drive, a set (or more) of your planetaries (which are like spinning gears around more gears) attempted to engage, but from the RPM's it snapped something pretty bad.

Seriously, just go back and act like it is THIER fault and not yours. Tell them that when you got it back, it always started at 2500 RPM and one day when u put it in gear and gave it gas to move, something made a loud clunk. If your not sturdy with them they may try to go back on their warrenty and try to blame you for the problem.

Good Luck. Oh yea, if you want some knowledge on how your auto tranny works and what engages from P to D, go to howstuffworks.com

Thread Information