Machine Silver Metallic
    2005 Corvette

Question Creaking rear end

This is my first post so I don't know if its in the right place. Anyways, I have an 02 WS6 TA with 12K and when I start out from being stopped there is a creaking sound from the rear end. It also makes the same noise when going at low speeds over small bumps. I know its from the rear end as when I stop and all the weight transfers to the front end theres no noise. What gives? Is this something I should be worried about or just normal F-body noise?
    Thanks,
    Sonic

Are there lube points in the rear that I'm missing? I bought the car in 05 with only 3600 miles on it(some 60 year old guy bought it and didn't drive). Is it the rear springs making the noise? The noise is more prevalant when its colder outside. Just looking for a hint before I sink any money into fixing problem.
    thanks!
    Last edited by Sonic; 02-08-2006 at 02:34 AM. Reason: No response yet

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

My 2000 WS6 makes lots of creaking sounds from the 'rear.' I couldn't tell you if it was the rear end itself, but, generally speaking, ALL F-Bodys are prone to squeaks because, well, they pretty much need sub-frame connectors...

right now, I hear noises when I go over speeds bumps too... and it's because all the panels in the interior are moving slightly, because the metal they are mounted to are slightly flexing...

maybe you should look into some SFCs?

I do also have a slight squeak from the suspension in the rear, but I expect it with a 102k miles..

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    This is my first post so I don't know if its in the right place. Anyways, I have an 02 WS6 TA with 12K and when I start out from being stopped there is a creaking sound from the rear end. It also makes the same noise when going at low speeds over small bumps. I know its from the rear end as when I stop and all the weight transfers to the front end theres no noise. What gives? Is this something I should be worried about or just normal F-body noise?
    Thanks,
    Sonic

Are there lube points in the rear that I'm missing? I bought the car in 05 with only 3600 miles on it(some 60 year old guy bought it and didn't drive). Is it the rear springs making the noise? The noise is more prevalant when its colder outside. Just looking for a hint before I sink any money into fixing problem.
    thanks!
    It's the bushings on the rear end links! I changed mine to polyeurathane bushings front and rear!The stock ones are crap!!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

also these cars will sometimes tear through the stock-type tranny mounts... you need poly there as well... especially if you upgrade your motor.

White
    99 Z28

Rear end bushings/shock bushings.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2005 GTO

I had the same problem when i first bought my car. I'm cheap and didn't want to replace all my bushings since the car only had 6800 miles on it. Buy some sylicone spray and just go to town on every bushing you see. It's been over a year for me and it's still quiet.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    also these cars will sometimes tear through the stock-type tranny mounts... you need poly there as well... especially if you upgrade your motor.
    yeah... mine did that and when i would go wot my shifter would raise by an inch! it looked like my tranny was goin to rip through my floor... and it would bang pretty hard if i lauched good also...

but this sounds more like bushings or spring wear...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

yeah that sounds about right... right now when I get out of my car I have a few squeaks... I bet I can put some grease on some a few bushings and I bet I'll be alright...

Machine Silver Metallic
    2005 Corvette

Thumbs up

Yep, it was the bushings. I had them replaced and haven't had any problems with noise since!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

how much did it cost to 'have' them replaced? assuming a shop did it...

Machine Silver Metallic
    2005 Corvette

$100

Thread Information